Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Come and tell me so! :)

FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Aright time to eat my hat. I was one of the posters late last year that believed TOR would be in the millions of subs for years to come. I scoffed at the f2p'ers and doomsayers. I called them out. Sonoggi, you're one of em. And you know what? You guys were all correct and I was completely and utterly wrong about the whole thing. I'm not going to pretend I didnt say it. I'm not going to edit old posts. I'm not going to hide under an alt. I'm owning up to my blinded bias. And I got burned and you guys were right all along. So lets hear it. I know some of you are dying to hehe

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Aright time to eat my hat. I was one of the posters late last year that believed TOR would be in the millions of subs for years to come. I scoffed at the f2p'ers and doomsayers. I called them out. Sonoggi, you're one of em. And you know what? You guys were all correct and I was completely and utterly wrong about the whole thing. I'm not going to pretend I didnt say it. I'm not going to edit old posts. I'm not going to hide under an alt. I'm owning up to my blinded bias. And I got burned and you guys were right all along. So lets hear it. I know some of you are dying to hehe

i said f2p within a year but, i'm not gonna gloat about it... it's a sad day another fallen MMO reduced to a horrible alternate model like the one they're using "freemium" really is the bane of MMO's i dont agree at all with having free to play with extreme locks in place forcing you to buy content etc... just to play the whole game, i think Aion has done a good job with their free to play model and there is plenty of other games that allow you to enjoy the whole game.. i mean hell swtor is even locking operations unless you sub.. but watevs i guess.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Personally I think you are good to hold up your hand and take it on the chin like a man...But tbh I don't think anyone will give a hoot as for many people the game was over hyped and didn't really bring anything new to gamers they have not seen before. So this was always going to be the case where it may go F2P at some stage so they could use another model to try and recover funds.

I bought six month of game play and stopped playing it after about six weeks because I found the game very boring indeed. I beta tested a llittle of the back end of beta but it never really gripped me enough to want to stay and carry on playing. I'm not even going to bother returing when it goes free to play either just not the game for me.

Bandit.

Asbo

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

=P

I dont think you were one of the epeople being rude about it (which is what bothered me, personally...)

Anyhow lots of respect from me- Someone admiting they were wrong about something ON THE INTERNET says lots about your integrity. (I would have just hid out on other forums for awhille LOL)

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

So, whats the next game you think will do amazing?? image

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

are you still playing the game?

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I am one of the naysayers. Believe me, I have not pursued the truth about this game out of spite or any desire to see something fail by predicting its failure. 

It is just that at every level - from the parent company to the game engine to the graphics and animations - this game displayed horendous flaws at a very early stage and, all the while, the game's official marketing machine and its huge army of unpaid - and paid - forum cheerleaders abused anyone who pointed out those flaws.

This new move to F2P underlines that I and others were right all along. That gives me no pleasure. I am simply amazed that so many people did not see - or refused to see - that this game was essentially broken from the very outset. It is a great pity, in my view, that yet another Star Wars IP MMO has now effectively failed since F2P is never a path to renewal and growth, it is just a cheap way to instal a life-support machine.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Wait, people are actually doing that? What happened to backbones?

Nice that you have the strength to post this OP.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Kuppa

So, whats the next game you think will do amazing?? image

*please oh please don't say guild wars*

i kid!

i know several good folks who claimed before release swtor wasn't going to go f2p within a year or two.

it wasn't such a far fetched call considering how many people were excited to play it and looking at their sales numbers.  i can see how that alone would seem to indicate it would last beyond a year or two.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

From the maker of single player rpg and the fail developer of warhammer comes tortanic. Life jacket and float are available in the cash shop for the comfort of the player.

This is what happen to developer who are too sure of themselves and fan boys striking down valid concern from ever reaching the dev.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by noncley

I am one of the naysayers. Believe me, I have not pursued the truth about this game out of spite or any desire to see something fail by predicting its failure. 

It is just that at every level - from the parent company to the game engine to the graphics and animations - this game displayed horendous flaws at a very early stage and, all the while, the game's official marketing machine and its huge army of unpaid - and paid - forum cheerleaders abused anyone who pointed out those flaws.

This new move to F2P underlines that I and others were right all along. That gives me no pleasure. I am simply amazed that so many people did not see - or refused to see - that this game was essentially broken from the very outset. It is a great pity, in my view, that yet another Star Wars IP MMO has now effectively failed since F2P is never a path to renewal and growth, it is just a cheap way to instal a life-support machine.

Well said. I have never personally witnessed such abuse directed at anyone being OBJECTIVLY honest about the state of the game. It was like anything said which wasnt a glowing endorsment was latched upon and attacked and the poster accused of working for Anet and being a "hater"... Then the old reasoning that "If you dont like the game why bother posting about it." (which is what a Forum is for isnt it? Discussing MMORPgs or in TOR's case "single player story driven RPG with mul;tiplayer options)

I am happy this is happening as it is- Not because I am a "hater" but because I want to see creativity and innovation come back into games and we need a CRASH for this to happen... Its like the ET cartrages which Atari had buried in the Desert led to us getting the NES.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Love your honesty.

I will be creating a similar thread in December if my timing is wrong on when this game's plug will be pulled. (But, I think I'm onto something.)

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Love your honesty.

I will be creating a similar thread in December if my timing is wrong on when this game's plug will be pulled. (But, I think I'm onto something.)

Shut down by December I can't see happening but I've been wrong before.

Being in beta for over a year I could easily see F2P coming as well.  The game was a mess, terribly bland, lacking many staple MMO features, and the devs were unresponsive at best to any concerns or feedback from testers.  The final straw was removal of the orange pixel.  It was all down hill from there...

Kudos OP.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

I was one of those people who wanted SWTOR to be the next WoW, to be my next home. I created a Guild, recruited and got everyone hyped up for it. I didnt run around on the forums here saying it, but I wanted it. When I played BETA I started to realize where it was going. I didnt want it to go there, here, where ever it is, but it did. I tried to warn my Guild. Alot of them lashed out as fanatical people do. Thankfully Alot of them have long since left or been removed. Next game...Note to self, recruit people who want the game but are not to blind to listen when you show hard evidence lol. Those that stayed, have actually done an about face and now realized that I was just trying to look out for them.

Also note to self. No more Hype ever. Cold hard facts and decisions.

This discussion has been closed.