Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Fantasy MMORPG contest!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to organize a conntest for the best fantasy MMORPG. Write about the games you think are the best fantasy MMORPG and give an argumentation.

Comments

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
    its hands down EverQuest

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724
    I have to agree.  EQ had its problems but none of the other mmorpgs have even come close imo.  EQ kept me happily adventuring for years.  image

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     I've never played any of those games lol. I'm kinda new to this "MMORPG" stuff. So far, i'm really taking an interest in it, but i've looked into it at the wrong time. The popular games such as EQ,DAoC,UO,AC are too old, and EQII,WoW and Horizons are still in the making. SWG unfortunatley is the only recent MMORPG out and it stinks! So i got no MMORPG's to play until the new ones come out image. Right now i'll just wait until it's the year 2004. *Stares at watch*.

Homer-"let the bears pay the bear tax, but i pay the Homer tax."
    Lisa-"Dad, that's the homeOWNERS tax!"
    Homer-"Whatever I'll be at Moes."

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

yea right now wouldnt be the time to get to know MMO's

it would have been about 2 years ago (me) or in about a year

• HoodwinkHoodwink Member Posts: 61
    I have to agree EQ is by far the best 'Fantasy' MMORPG. image

Hoodwink - Half Elf Ranger

Hoodwink

• nalanala Member Posts: 173
    can I say that when it comes out that I think Horizons will be the best fantasy MMORPG....cause thats what I think.

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

i just like horizons cuz u can be a dragon. daoc is my favorite though. its got to have the friendliest community ever. ive not met one person that i would like to kill there dog.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well as an old hand in MMROPG i know that waiting for the next great MMORPG is like-

1)waiting for USA to produce another Bobby Fischer  to win the world chess championship

2)a brition lifting the wimbledon tennis title.

3)winning the lottery

So lets say it is rare.Have maybe a few more years  before i have to retire from gaming due to life pressures so might as well enjoy whats out there.

Anyhow off topic.

EQ best of all time in my view.

• KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049

EverQuest.  I know EQ had its problems, especially camping and farming and waiting for the $#&*^ BOAT!  Regardless, EQ was (and I think still is) the largest for a reason.  The array of races/classes has yet to be matched.  Each town was distinct and the zones were truly different.  There were good places for all levels to fight.  As soon as you got too high for one area, a new one was not too far away.

EQ has kept the gameplay fresh with new expansions.  I think they bootched it with Kunark by putting only one teleport point on the continent, but it was still great, as were Velious and Luclin (I quit after Luclin).

Other games have had some strong points, like DAoC's RVR, but no game has captured my attention and kept me faithful like EQ.  I truly miss playing it sometimes.

NC > DAoC > EQ > UO > fecal matter > leper's oily rags > SW:G

-----

Old timer.

• bum37bum37 Member Posts: 127

fine, fine, I must admit that EQ is the best "fantasy MMORPG", but I still say AC is the best MMORPG so far. hahaha! image (for me at least)

but.. statiscally... best MMORPG would be lineage since it has several times more(it has more than a million accounts for it) than the 2nd most popular...

asl;dfkja;lekfja;lkj blah, WoW forever!!!

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Someone mentioned that lineage has 4 million subscribers.

It is really big in korea

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

koreans dont know what a good game is.. thats why they play lineage that game blows.... theres an internet cafe around where i live Shamali.net and thats all those fools play, they try counter strike once in a while but they get there asses kicked..

UO ALL THE WAY!! (sure i dont play it anymore but no game will ever compare to what uo was)

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318
    I think Ultima X will be the best fantasy mmorpg, but since thats not on the list i am voting for UO, which i believe is second best to Ultima X (and about equal to Lineage2, but thats not on the list either).

Originally posted by digitydarkman

koreans dont know what a good game is

Maybe so, but I believe that Korea is the third largest computer/console game market in the world (behind the US and Japan).  I know that Starcraft is still huge there and there's a story (probably an urban legend) that a guy was whacked by the Korean Mafia after he pked the character of a mafioso in Lineage.  Also, I guy died in a Korean internet cafe earlier this year after a marathon gaming session.

Their taste may be iffy, but they sure do take their games seriously.

-----

Old timer.

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

yea i heard about some deaths in net cafes over there after some counter strike matchs to.. some people are so crazy.. i mean its ok to get mad.. but god theres no point in taking a life over a game..

and sadly starcraft is still huge in the us to.. i dont get it

i played that game when it was "cool" but quit playing it long ago, its just to bland now theres so much better out there, but i guess not everyone has a powerhouse system that can handle todays main stream games

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

"Guess who's back
    Back again
    Riotgirl's back
    Tell a friend
    Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back
    guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back.. {*Riotgirl hums*}"

I do not feel qualified to comment as I have only played 2 MMOG's (I refuse to qualify MMOG's with the suffix 'RPG'):

1. EQ
    2. EVE Online (review to be posted)

Essentially, EQ was ye old level treadmill i.e. whack-a-mole, grind and level, rinse and repeat. It rewarded linear progression through the accumulation of experience, levels and progressively better 'rewards' to dangle as carrots, propelling one to progressively harder zones.

That's if you played EQ in such a linear fashion.

What impressed me with EQ was the creation of a beautiful, living, breathing world with lush, distinctive zones (physically and aurally) that immersed the player into the world of Norrath. The community was second to none and I missed that aspect whilst playing EVE because I couldn't form an intimate connection with either my avatar or the universe at large.

What criteria do we use as a baseline to differentiate between fantasy MMOG's? Essentially, looking at the impending release of many fantasty MMOG's, most are gravitating towards a mean in terms of game engine i.e. player constructed property, a re-worked, customizable trading system, gorgeous graphics etc. What we do need to concentrate on is how a particular MMOG implements such concepts.

I'm waiting for the release of Horizons because the social aspect of MMOG's will be the foundation for the game. The idea of communal structures that will benefit players within a particular region i.e. a bridge to access more content, is one that interests me, alongside a player based trading system where the market is entirely supported by players rather than NPC's. The 'school' system that allows players to change focus on one aspect of the game to another without having to create an alt is an interesting one and we'll have to see how well it is implemented. The storyline is the aspect that disappoints me most - bland and generic - but it does fit in with the frontier feel for the MMOG i.e. the further you travel away from civlization, the more hostile the environment.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

Originally posted by digitydarkman

yea i heard about some deaths in net cafes over there after some counter strike matchs to.. some people are so crazy.. i mean its ok to get mad.. but god theres no point in taking a life over a game..

and sadly starcraft is still huge in the us to.. i dont get it

i played that game when it was "cool" but quit playing it long ago, its just to bland now theres so much better out there, but i guess not everyone has a powerhouse system that can handle todays main stream games

so far we got lineage and cs causing deaths but lets not forget Everquest.  From what i've heard this game has caused more deaths than lineage and cs combined be it from suicide or murder(unintentional or otherwise).

Originally posted by Disastorm

From what i've heard this game has caused more deaths than lineage and cs combined be it from suicide or murder(unintentional or otherwise).

I know there have been a couple of phony deaths, like the infamous hoax of the teenage girl who killed herself after Verant pulled her GM status (she didn't really exist), but I think EQ is more of a relationship killer than actual killer.  I know of at least two couples who have split up because of EQ.  A friend of mine knew a girl who got to flirting with a guy in EQ and ended up getting divorced over an online relationship.

I know the guy in Korea who died in the i-cafe was playing some sort of web game and had played for almost 24 hours straight.

Is there anywhere on the web where someone is documenting deaths related to gaming?  That would be an interesting read! 

-----

Old timer.

• BuckoBucko Member Posts: 8

The Realm, Easily,

Because the key letter in MMORPG is the R. Take that out and why not just play a stand alone game?  The Role you play is what makes these games so attractive and addictive. I played AD&D well before anyone heard of the PC and the joy of that game is best captured by the Realm. The comradare of teaming up with a group of friends in this game is very simular to the old table top days. We each play a role in our hunting party. Sometimes we disagree about strategy, but usually we get along very well. The game places us in situations were our diverse personalities do play out. It also has a great deal of depth to it. The longer I play the more intricate the game's strategy to me. It's fun, it's interesting, and it's addictive. It's also only $4.95 a month which taint bad. I cannot not argue that the other games aren't very good in there own right, their subscription numbers speak for themselves. I was a Dungeon Master for many years, and if your looking to relive your old Dungeon and Dragon days, look towards the Realm.

Originally posted by Koltrane

I know there have been a couple of phony deaths, like the infamous hoax of the teenage girl who killed herself after Verant pulled her GM status (she didn't really exist), but I think EQ is more of a relationship killer than actual killer.  I know of at least two couples who have split up because of EQ.  A friend of mine knew a girl who got to flirting with a guy in EQ and ended up getting divorced over an online relationship.

I know the guy in Korea who died in the i-cafe was playing some sort of web game and had played for almost 24 hours straight.

Is there anywhere on the web where someone is documenting deaths related to gaming?  That would be an interesting read! 

yea i dont remember where i read about it, but i remember reading that like 33% of the divorces in the US are caused by Everquest.  Everquest does cause real deaths though, just last month(or something around that time period) a woman was arrested for leaving her 3 yr old daughter in her car while she was playing Everquest (her daughter died from suffocation).

eq's winning by a long shotimage

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

Well, out of all the MMORPG's that I know of... Everquest was the only one that I watched both of my roommates quit their jobs, share 1 computer and take STRICT 12 hour shifts in playing the game in my roommates room. I also did something similar at the time... but I was in college, so went to my classes, and 'cracked out' for 8-10 hours at a time. We never cleaned, except the deskspace for when there were too many cans filled with ciggarette butts cluttering our view of the monitors, and the stacks of pizza boxes and organic nukables piled higher than the Tower of Babel could ever have hoped to reach. Ahhhhhh... the good ol days. I've played a lot of games since then, UO, AC, AO, DAoC, E&B, Neocron, Sims Online, Rubies of Eventide, Shadowbane... none have caught me as well as EQ did. Still waiting for that "something better" where they take the good things from EQ, and throw in some better, take out some of the bad... downtime was the worst, xp rape frpm death was the second... which I think could be fixed by E&B's "xp-debt" factor... goes away after near a day, gives incentive to HAVE A LIFE and TAKE A BREAK. :D

But with that aside, EQ was the better as a whole I think, with DAoC in second, and Shadowbane third.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• ZugonaZugona Member Posts: 1

I have played a few online games and I always keep going back to The Realm Online. There is just something about it that I love and I have yet to find in another online game. :::^D::

It is not a super powerhouse chocked full of 3d graphics but it is fun nonetheless. It has it's own little charm and the community is great. You can't beat it for only $4.95 a month.

This game has changed hands a few times but the new owners seem willing to listen to our input and now they are offering a 30 day free trial. Stop in check it out. ::!^)::

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

yea i dont remember where i read about it, but i remember reading that like 33% of the divorces in the US are caused by Everquest.

I seriously doubt that 33% of married people (or formely married :P) in the US played EQ.

Everquest does cause real deaths though, just last month(or something around that time period) a woman was arrested for leaving her 3 yr old daughter in her car while she was playing Everquest (her daughter died from suffocation).

I don't think that the death can be blamed on EQ - more a singularly miserable failure of a human being with no concept of personal respsonsibility. Look at the way we treat those whose lives utterly depend on us i.e. animals and children. Look at the statistics for abuse, neglect etc. It's yet more media bullshit trying to drum up a story blaming societies ills on video games rather than the unpalatable truth that society is to blame.

Human beings always try to absolve themselves of blame by either bringing in a 'Higher Authority' i.e. God or the 'Devil made me do it', or video nasties, guns, too much sexual content on television, because it's the lazy option and saves us from the uncomfortable thought that we are responsible for our actions and the consequences of our actions.

Child-rearing as a natural right is sancrosanct, yet if you look at the number of kids in children's homes, abused, neglected, sleeping rough on the street, then it's clear that we tend to absolve ourselvs of all responsiblity. Sometimes I develop the fascist notion that people really have too much freedom without idea of corresponding obligation.

This is yet another lazy assed piece of journalism which merely masquerades a bull-shit right-wing, conservative agenda encouraging us to stay mentally sedated and not challenge any of the pre-received bullshit that is spoon-fed to us.

Or alternatively, it's all about selling more copy. Period. Screw objective journalism.

Show me the money! Bay-bee!

Regards,
    Riotgirl

P.s. I prefer to find a website which documents deaths due to sheer human stupidity. Oh that's right! The Darwin Awards :P

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."