Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P "Up" to level 50?

Their saying it will be Free to play "up" to level 50.  I have heard they are raising the level cap to 55 soon.  Possibly the same time F2P launches?  I hope they at least make a cash shop option to purchase the extra 5 levels.  If not, what happens if a sub'd player with a character at 55 unsubs?  Hmmm.  Good question.

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Depends if it's a free or paid expansion, and how many levels they add. 

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by mwohrlin

Their saying it will be Free to play "up" to level 50.  I have heard they are raising the level cap to 55 soon.  Possibly the same time F2P launches?  I hope they at least make a cash shop option to purchase the extra 5 levels.  If not, what happens if a sub'd player with a character at 55 unsubs?  Hmmm.  Good question.

Have you ever played AoC/Lotro?

Its the best example I can come up with besides EQ2.

Sounds like they will have a similiar system... you will have the ability to play the base content through 50 but they will nickel and dime you for the content you need to enjoy/progress endgame. The only truly f2p game I know of is aion.

Its the foot in the door technique and sadly it works on some.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

So if you have to pay for access aboove level 50 and you choose not to pay for access above level 50 it seems to me if you aren't paying that access fee, then you won't get...............

ACCESS to above level 50.......................................................

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• mwohrlinmwohrlin Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by waynejr2

So if you have to pay for access aboove level 50 and you choose not to pay for access above level 50 it seems to me if you aren't paying that access fee, then you won't get...............

So what your'e saying is.  A level 55 character will not playable on an unsubbed account?  Or will he be demoted back to level 50?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Sounds like they will have a similiar system... you will have the ability to play the base content through 50 but they will nickel and dime you for the content you need to enjoy/progress endgame. The only truly f2p game I know of is aion.

STO is also fully F2P too.

If you want more Cryptic Points, or ZEN now, then you can go do daily quests to earn Dilthium, and then transfer them to ZEN.  I have not yet transferred any for ZEN yet, so this may have changed but from what I could see from a search on the subject it has not.

I had one account subbing, then decieded to cancel, and have had no need to resub yet, as have seen no difference yet - no reduction in char slots, inventory, cash limits etc

Originally posted by waynejr2

So what your'e saying is.  A level 55 character will not playable on an unsubbed account?  Or will he be demoted back to level 50?

If the cap is raised through an xpac then a freep would have to buy the xpac in order to progress past 50... pretty self-explanatory there. BASE CONTENT. Without putting out some money no endgame goodies, xpacs.. premium content updates, raids etc..

same reasons f2p conan barely made a difference. People still had to pay to have access to anything worthwhile.

Originally posted by superniceguy

If you want more Cryptic Points, or ZEN now, then you can go do daily quests to earn Dilthium, and then transfer them to ZEN.  I have not yet transferred any for ZEN yet, so this may have changed but from what I could see from a search on the subject it has not.

I had one account subbing, then decieded to cancel, and have had no need to resub yet, as have seen no difference yet - no reduction in char slots, inventory, cash limits etc

Last I knew freeps did not have access to the best ships without using the cash shop.

Should stay at 55 as you have to sub for a month to be able to, so your sub will then pay for that priveledge, and you have to pay for the other stuff then, that comes with being 55 - more content, more gear etc

It will be skanky if they take you back to 50 or stop that character from logging in, after going back to F2P from a sub

• dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77

youd have to pay to play the 55.. cause its only free till 50.. *boom* just blew your mind. just like in LOTRO. pay for the extra levels/ content. 

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

You can easily do all the end game content in in STO with the free ship you get when you hit level 40. They just offer "different" ships in the shop like the carrier and the saucer sep ship. My biggest problem was when they would add in new crap to the shop on a near weekly basis and the actual game would see no real updates for months at a time. 

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

I'm concerned about the "limited access" to warzones.  Is Huttball really worth a sub?

Last I knew freeps did not have access to the best ships without using the cash shop.

Do daily missions then to build up dilithium. It is up to you whether to actually spend actual money in the shop to get it straight away, or be patient and play the game long terjm. STO is best played with other games if doing this method - log in 30 mins each day and earn 1440 dilithium patrolling 3 systems, or send your DOFFs on missions for Dilithium while you do other stuff (including playing another MMO)

• mwohrlinmwohrlin Member Posts: 5

Should stay at 55 as you have to sub for a month to be able to, so your sub will then pay for that priveledge, and you have to pay for the other stuff then, that comes with being 55 - more content, more gear etc

It will be skanky if they take you back to 50 or stop that character from logging in, after going back to F2P from a sub

Yea,  It sounds like they still h ave a few things to work out before launch.  Its sounding like a LOTRO or DDO type F2P model.  At least I hope it is.  They dont want to make F2P too unapealing or it may come back to bite them all over again.