Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game listed as a mmorpg? seriously needs to be removed.

rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539
  GW is a okay game nice graphics I do not feel ripped off by buying it.It is a fun casual game when I am bored with my other mmorpg or when the server is down for a patch or whatever but this is NOT a mmorpg why it is classed as one I have no idea.Please remove it from the mmorpg ratings as it is not fair to ppl who come here lookin for new mmorpgs to see guildwars listed as one unless you plan to add Diablo2,Dungeon Siege and other similar games who allow the same thing GW offers Diablo2 is not on here is reason enough to say this is not a mmorpg.

Comments

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Seriously, why does it matter? These posts have to stop. You can cite reasons like why Diablo 2 and other like games aren't listed either, but there's one key difference between Guild Wars and those games: Guild Wars can only be played online.

• zeboathzeboath Member Posts: 396

People will quickly discover Guild Wars is different from other games on this site when they do a little research. I seriously doubt people go: "hey, there's an mmorpg called Guild Wars... sounds cool, lets buy it!... WTF IT'S NOT A REAL MMORPG!!!ONE!!!"

Even though it's instanced, and technically not an mmorpg, it still has strong mmorpg aspects.

Look. There are "games" here which I would call a game(Massive multiplayer online role playing game)

So what so bad about GW being listed here?

--------------------------------------------

• FizblixFizblix Member UncommonPosts: 130

It kinda unbalances the ratings... I'd bet if Diablo 2 was on here it would be rated the #1 game

A big majority of GW players are too cheap to pay monthly fees - alot of them are the people in other game forums you see bitching about "why do I have to pay money to play after I buy it!"

So their votes don't hold the weight of someone who has played a few real mmorpgs, since they don't have anything to compare it with - except Diablo 2, runescape, or something like Deus X(heh...)

Mostly Harmless Guild   ♦  Youtube  ♦  Sponsored by Mr. Beer
  • NuvaNuva Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Fizblix

It kinda unbalances the ratings... I'd bet if Diablo 2 was on here it would be rated the #1 game
    A big majority of GW players are too cheap to pay monthly fees - alot of them are the people in other game forums you see bitching about "why do I have to pay money to play after I buy it!"
    So their votes don't hold the weight of someone who has played a few real mmorpgs, since they don't have anything to compare it with - except Diablo 2, runescape, or something like Deus X(heh...)

CHEAP!? Imagine this:

You buy the game for 50$

You need the video card, that ranges from 50-400$ to play the game, lets take 100$

Then the next month you pay 15$, because I don't know if you pay for teh first month.

165$ wasted right there, you imbecile.

• sholmes983sholmes983 Member Posts: 11
    A better question is why didn't you use one of the 18 other threads that discuss the same thing to share your views?
  • UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by rznkain
      GW is a okay game nice graphics I do not feel ripped off by buying it.It is a fun casual game when I am bored with my other mmorpg or when the server is down for a patch or whatever but this is NOT a mmorpg why it is classed as one I have no idea.Please remove it from the mmorpg ratings as it is not fair to ppl who come here lookin for new mmorpgs to see guildwars listed as one unless you plan to add Diablo2,Dungeon Siege and other similar games who allow the same thing GW offers Diablo2 is not on here is reason enough to say this is not a mmorpg.

Maybe because you yourself call it a mmorpg and if it is a mmorpg to someone who doesnt think it should be here then it is an mmorpg to everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

I read other forums and see other discussions about this, my only question is why does it matter? I mean seriously. I really dont see people being altruistic in nature about this (Oh I am just trying to save the people who might buy this thinking that this is a mmorpg). I think it is more (Oh my favorite game is not #1 on the list, what can I do to flame it). Let this topic go people and just enjoy the game for what it is....a game.::::28::

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• sholmes983sholmes983 Member Posts: 11
    You know what, I wish they would remove it from the rankings.  That way maybe people would stop trolling these stupid messages all over the place.
  • BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

It's very simple... Go look at some of the other forums on MMORPG.com More than 2/3s of them are less active then this forum. This is a game that consumers demand infomation on. MMORPG was smart enough to provide that outlet... outwise those users would just go use other websites.

If Wendy's can start selling fruit salads... Then MMORPG is well within their rights to host info on GW.

And I don't know why people think it can't pass under the def of MMO. The first MMOs were MUDS. Just because WoW came out, MUDS never stopped being MMOs.

Arena Net tried to avoid this conflict... Knowing how today's MMOs are, and what they are considered/and expected THEY never used the word MMO to describe GW. By defenition they could of, but they didn't. Instead they used the term CORPG or whatever. Competive Online RPG. Which by defenition any online game with PvP(or ranking) and a char progressed storyline could be considered.

If GW really wanted to convince people it was a MMO by todays standards... they would have to of had excessive downtime, rollbacks, bots and long standing inbalances. Because that's the biggest difference between the MMOs of old and todays. Graphics and sound doesn't change the genre a game falls into. So I'm glad Arena Net decided to stay away from the route TODAY'S tradistional MMOs take. Even though since there is no monthly "service fee" I could of understodd if they dicided to let downtime and bots run rampent.

MMOs aren't by nature presistant, nor are they required to having raiding, or crafting.
    MMO simply means... they you can play with many people at once online. And realize, "play" isn't just killing monsters, "play" for some is sitting in a city and trading.

GW offers battles with 48 live people fighting at once for PvP. I consider that massive enough right there. And in cities you will get many times that number of players interacting. Instacing may break imersion but it doesn't cause it not to be an MMO. Just like 20 people waiting to kill the same mobs in newbie areas breaks imersion. The fact that in a city in Guild Wars you can instantly trade with 50+ people makes it a MMO to me. If you could only chat... a la Diablo2 then I would say no. In Diablo2 you can only directly interact with 8 people, that isn't quite massive IMO. But GW allows you to be in the same zone with many many others... you may not be able to fight with all of them at once, but you can still directly interact with them thus I would define it as an MMO.

Though MUDS were texted based if you were in the same "zone" as a bunch of other players you could interact with them all, more then just chatting. You could do /attack bob... or /trade bob That's what I mean buy direct interaction.

So the only thing that can really be said about GWs... is it is not like Today's tradistional pay-to-"play(lag, wait in line)" MMOs. Which I think is good. I'm not saying GWs is a better game, it simply offers a "different" MMO outlet.

If you want a better game to debate about a game being an MMO or not... Look up tatica online... that game throws even more "unnormal" things into the loop... Including turn based combat in which 1player controls muliple toons (and it instanced and free). That should really choke up all the people raised on "normal" MMOs

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Well said by Bent.

The final thing I will mention on this topic I thought I could let go is, does anyone who bash's GW think that this might be a "gateway" game to there favorite game (i.e EVE, WoW, etc). For a lot of people that never felt like paying an extra $180 a year to play a game, this was/is an opportunity to see how a mmorgp/corpg game opporates and feels. This might actually shift peoples thinking to, "well $15 a month wouldn't be that bad if I had this much fun." And yes I understand that feelings could go the other direction based on their experience will GW. This would lead more people to try out the people that flame GWs favorite game(s). You know what...they could go off and play those games to their hearts desire and still come back to Guild Wars, receive any updates they missed while they were gone and continue on playing for FREE.

There is no reason to drag down GW because you are a xenophobe, the changes being incorporated by Anet and the GW staff are going to be felt by the mmorgp community for a long time. As Anet and GW continues to evolve and expand though streaming FREE updates and adding new chapters, many players of other games are going to start wondering why a game that does not charge that $15 per month can offer many things that are the same or perhaps better than what they are currently getting.

Again, why bash something that has no direct effect on your ability to play your game...everyone go play the game you enjoy, have fun and remember it is only a game.::::39::

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Oh god, ever since I heard of this website, I thought it would be the kind that talked about games, but all I've seen is "GW SHOULDN'T BE IN MMORPG". GOD! Did you guys even see the damn review I put for the game? Its a good game, but if you played WOW, COH, or EQII, okay, they beat it, but they have that damn monthly fee, GW just wants people to have cuasual lives, WOW turns people lives into looking at their damn game, GW is for people who want to play AND HAVE A NORMAL LIFE! Atleast there is no damn convention where you have to dress as a idiot and go there. OKAY, THERE IS BETTER GAMES THAN GW, but if you are a cusual gamer who wants a life to live out, then fine play GW because its the right one for you. If you're some rich guy who wants a good game, get the toehrs, if you have enough money, get the good games and ignore a game that has no monthly fee.

Sorry for double posting, clicked it by mistake

• theflyingdogtheflyingdog Member Posts: 4

I love how WoW players and Guild Wars players are seperated as if the two different games pull different people. I play both MMO's, and so do many others. This website was first dedicated to MMORPG's because, well, most of the MMO's were RPG's. But now the same hardcore fans that love those MMORPG's are getting pulled into MMO's that may not necessarily be an RPG. Who gives a f@#! if Guild Wars is an RPG or not, because it is still drawing the same crowd. Then there are the abnormalities, the people who only play one or the other. But I truly believe that Guild Wars abnormal players are actually the people who just don't like pay pers. Where as WoW draws the more fanatical MMO crowds because of the support despite the fee.

Nevertheless, the games shouldn't be compared like that, and Guild Wars is definitely a part of the family here on this website.

Would removing it from MMORPG.com have any effect on the game's success or the number of players it has? It won't? Then why bicker about it?

• nothing2geinnothing2gein Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by Nuva
    Oh god, ever since I heard of this website, I thought it would be the kind that talked about games, but all I've seen is "GW SHOULDN'T BE IN MMORPG". GOD! Did you guys even see the damn review I put for the game? Its a good game, but if you played WOW, COH, or EQII, okay, they beat it, but they have that damn monthly fee, GW just wants people to have cuasual lives, WOW turns people lives into looking at their damn game, GW is for people who want to play AND HAVE A NORMAL LIFE! Atleast there is no damn convention where you have to dress as a idiot and go there. OKAY, THERE IS BETTER GAMES THAN GW, but if you are a cusual gamer who wants a life to live out, then fine play GW because its the right one for you. If you're some rich guy who wants a good game, get the toehrs, if you have enough money, get the good games and ignore a game that has no monthly fee.

Spoken like a true 14 year old.

1. Complain about monthly fees

2. Saying that since you play WoW you have no life other than video games (WoW is easy too)

3. Then brings up irrelevent comment about conventions

more on the subject....

There is no reason to remove this game from the site. It is still an MMORPG. You may not see everyone all the time but you still a large amount of people in towns etc.

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

A big majority of GW players are too cheap to pay monthly fees

You have absolutely no idea about anything.

Originally posted by Lanmoragon
    A big majority of GW players are too cheap to pay monthly fees

You have absolutely no idea about anything.

Complete agree. They paid $50 for the game, which is just a bit over 3 month's worth of play for a typical MMORPG (not counting the box price, but then again most of them you can download nowadays).
  • DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

Originally posted by rznkain

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, loot stealing, and standing in a queue in order to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Players in Guild Wars can play with or against players from around the world in the global tournaments and arenas. And while players are initially placed in a region based on their selected language (so that there is a greater likelihood that others will be speaking their language) they can join up in the always-available International District to form parties and to play with anyone from anywhere in the world.

What will he do next?
  • DakagentDakagent Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by sholmes983
    You know what, I wish they would remove it from the rankings. That way maybe people would stop trolling these stupid messages all over the place.

Why don't they just remove the rankings altogeather? Fixes alot of problems over the littlest things...

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

Originally posted by Dakagent

Originally posted by sholmes983
    You know what, I wish they would remove it from the rankings. That way maybe people would stop trolling these stupid messages all over the place.

Why don't they just remove the rankings altogeather? Fixes alot of problems over the littlest things...

It really does help a lot of people when they are thinking about picking up a MMORPG and spending money each month. 

It might fix a lot of problems but I think it helps a lot more.  It's nice to read what other people have to say about a certain game, yes there's going to be a lot of fanboys from other games rating the others down and saying negative things, but just look past that.

What will he do next?

Originally posted by nothing2gein

Originally posted by Nuva

Spoken like a true 14 year old.

1. Complain about monthly fees

2. Saying that since you play WoW you have no life other than video games (WoW is easy too)

3. Then brings up irrelevent comment about conventions

more on the subject....

There is no reason to remove this game from the site. It is still an MMORPG. You may not see everyone all the time but you still a large amount of people in towns etc.

What did you mean? Do you think I would lie about my own age? Come on, I am not a liar.

Anyhow, Everyone is right, its still a MMORPG whither peopel like it or not, just live wiht it. Its your thoughts, not ours. Our opnions, our thoughs, our ideas, and its stupid to argue over a game that has just gotten ahead of GW on one website. WOW is still more popular than GW, it has 4 milliion players, GW doesn't have that much or they would've said.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

/Agree with original poster... I know a few people who've been sucked in by the comments about it being an MMORPG.... shouldn't be on this site unless they add a whole load of other games that offer the same style of gameplay.

It's a good game with great graphics but it's not and never will be anywhere near as good as WOW.

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

People should learn to research a game for 10 mins before they go out and buy it. At least read the FAQ... after that point, then they should start looking at ratings and asking for opinions...

I for one don't buy games I won't enjoy... but to each their own.

• Cor4xCor4x Member Posts: 241

I agree fully and I'm reading about games now that I hope to play in the future.

I liked GW when I played it, and it was worth (don't remember) how much I payed for it. I still have an account there, but won't be playing it again.

I do not like PVP anywhere and don't like it here. I tried it a few times, but found it horrible. The community is probably the worst I've seen since UO. Everyone I spoke with was ultra-rude (in or concerning PVP) and I lost patience quickly.

Quitting wasn't a big deal since I don't pay a monthly fee. I uninstalled the client, forgot about the characters (all maxed), and moved on.

I would consider it an MMORPG as much as EQ2 or any of the others. Most people don't RP anyway.

I suspect some people's hatred of this game is based on the anti-pvp aspect. I understand that and agree with it (pvp hatred), but it isn't a bad game and was fun to chew through the levels.

It does feel a little on the empty side, but was pretty much bug-free at launch. That was a BIG plus!

I think this game is being sold short. I won't, however, consider buying any expansions unless they change the entire game. I wouldn't if I were them. It looks to be the best PVP game out there, from a non-pk'ers standpoint.