Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OUYA The Future of Console Gaming!

DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237

This Truly Looks like its gonna be the next big thing! Take a Look, Tell your friends! I'll let the Promo video on their kickstarter page do the explaing. :P

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console?ref=category

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    This thing won't even come out....

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think its great it got alot of backing, but I don't see the console panning out well.  Sony will sue, and Microsoft will demand royalties.  I also don't think a console based on Android will work well.  Android is not really a good framework for gaming.  It uses resources ineffeciently and its more difficult to develop for compared to other mobile platforms.

• luteleighluteleigh Member UncommonPosts: 23

It does look interesting, but by the time they deliver it, those hardware specs will be old for Android devices.

• DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Why do you say that?
     they already have a working model. i think it looks cool and its aweosme that its low cost!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I'm not too optimistic about it. The creators said in their video it will be a console which allows hacking and open source.

As a designer I would not want to release on a console that has the ability to be easily hacked.

I realise PC is quite an open platform too, but that has also meant that many studios moved to console.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

OUYA is the future of gaming?  Thats like saying jailbroken phones are the future of cellphones.  You can pretty much get everything free on a jailbroken phone.  The problem is that the devs wont get any money and when devs dont get money, they stop being devs.  Or make stuff for another platform.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by DrDream

Why do you say that?
     they already have a working model. i think it looks cool and its aweosme that its low cost!

Several reasons.  They do NOT say they have a working model, for one.  They say they have a prototype.  That could mean almost anything, but what it really means is, they have a way to hook their android to a TV and use a controller with it.  Total cost?  $10 for a cable and $10 for a controller.

This product looks shady on every level, but the most important things to note are these:

#1 Kickstarter does not require people to actually produce their products.  They can literally say "I changed my mind" and still keep 100% of their money.

#2 The competitor's consoles cost hundreds of millions to make.  Their price point makes no sense.

#3 The company has not accepted and will not accept funds outside of kickstarter.  See #1 for the reason.

#4 The tech specs do not add up with what they are suggesting... a fact which they cleverly sidestep in their FAQ.

#5 They state that a number of people working on this product would be FIRED if their day job found out.  The only ones who list their names are currently unemployed.  Why?

Yup.  The people behind this have no intention of ever creating a product at all.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

#5 They state that a number of people working on this product would be FIRED if their day job found out.  The only ones who list their names are currently unemployed.  Why?

The likely reason would be, they work in the industry and if they were to give their names out; they could lose their job. 

just went in their kickstarter.  Why are they showing Chaox from TSM but not linking his channel? o.O

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by ItsGopher

Originally posted by Souldrainer #5 They state that a number of people working on this product would be FIRED if their day job found out.  The only ones who list their names are currently unemployed.  Why?

The likely reason would be, they work in the industry and if they were to give their names out; they could lose their job. 

Why?

Well... Because youre typically not allowed to be working on an outside project that you are currently being paid to do.

I mean its really a big deal if youre working for a competitor while holding on to your inside information. Its like a game designer for blizzard decides to go help make SWTOR 2 while hes working on Titan. Its just a lawsuit waiting to happen. And the more you know, the bigger the damages. They might not just get fired, they might lose EVERYTHING and/or go to jail.

( o.o)
    (")(")