Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why we should NOT trust ANET

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by grimal

Search is a handy tool.

Taken from our very own MMORPG forums:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/thread/17019/GWvsWOW.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/thread/7868/WoW-vs-Guild-Wars.html

I'll add more later.

... which one of those threads was started by an Arenanet employee?  I looked a bit, but I don't know their secret account names, so I'm going to need your help on that one. :)

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by joocheese

Simple: Guild Wars.

Prior to it's release, it was touted as the "revolution" of the MMO genre.  Most clamored to this new B2P model thinking it would overthrow WoW and other P2P titles.  A few days in and people realized the gravest of all errors:  the game wasn't even an MMO, but a COOP game with a lobby system.

I, for one, fell for the hype back the.  I am determined not to make the same mistake again with this company.

P.S. Not a troll/flame thread.  But a real discussion as to why people might not be trusting of ANET.

You do realize that GW was released 5 months after WOW right? (WOW: Nov '04 & GW: April '05).

I sure as hell don't remember anything about "most" clamoring thatGW would be overthrowing WOW. And GW was never advertized (by Anet) as an MMO.

If you wanted to start a thread as to why people should not trust Anet, you should have linked something in order to substantiate your claims. Not only that, but you should have found something for which to blame Anet as a untrustworthy company; such as lying to customers, cheating people out of something, or some illegal or borderline illegal activity.

That fact that you did none of the above does in fact lead me to believe you this is a troll/flame thread and nothing more.

Search is a handy tool.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/thread/17019/GWvsWOW.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/thread/7868/WoW-vs-Guild-Wars.html

I'll add more later.

You can add all you want, I don't see how any thread here has anythign to do with Anet and their product.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by evilastro

I think we have reached a new low with the troll threads.

1) They never called GW1 a MMO, they made it abundantly clear in everything from the previews through to the packaging of the game itself that it did not have persistant adventure zones. Although that said, it was more of a MMO than some of the new action games that called MMOs like Vindictus.

2) The game is one of the Top 10 best selling PC games of all time, with over 6.5 million copies sold. It did revolutionise the genre as pretty much the only RPG with balanced and skill based PvP.

I think your trust issues shoudl be with your reading capabilities. ArenaNet has been nothing but honest in all of their liason with the public. If you expected something else from Guild Wars 1 other than what they delivered, it is because you are unable to read and comprehend simple statements, not because they lied to you.

No need for the personal attacks.

1) Persistent adventure zones.  That was a fairly uncommon term back then.  Remember, most MMOs prior to its release did not have ANY instancing, so this was not really something that stuck out.  If you start throwing around terms that people don't understand because maybe they have never been applied before, how can you honestly expect people to comprehend them? Vindictus came out MUCH MUCH later.

2) My discussing isn't about box sales at all.  Not sure why you brought this up.  I think it definitely brought instancing to the mainstream as for contributions.  Not sure of anything else.

Grimal?? do you not have any self respect?? Any digninity??

Take responsibility for yourself and your own actions!! Stop blaming Anet for something they did not do and start realizing that YOU and only YOU made the mistake in thinking GW was something that it wasn't. You either let others define GW for you, misunderstood what people said about GW, or were too lazy to do your own homework. Either way, it is YOU who is responsible, not Anet!!

goodness!!

No one likes to be proven wrong, even if it was their own fault. He's gonna keep doing this until someone either locks this thread, or until we lie and say he's right so he can stroke his virtual member about it.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Search is a handy tool.

I'll add more later.

What do these threads prove exactly???

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by seridan

Search is a handy tool.

I'll add more later.

What do these threads prove exactly???

They prove what we've been saying all along... that Anet did in fact never say that GW was an mmo. Funny... he's disproving his own point.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Originally posted by Nefera

Why would you think it was a MMO, when the company never called it one? They said prior to release that it was a CORPG, not a MMO.

I remember it being marketed as an MMO.  I don't recall them saying that at all.

Why we should NOT trust you

http://www.arena.net/press/guild_wars_announcement/

SEOUL, South Korea/SEATTLE, WA, April 22, 2003 — NCsoft, the world's top developer of online computer games is pleased to announce Guild WarsTM, a mission-based competitive online role playing game, produced by its Seattle-based ArenaNet studio. Guild Wars will have its first major public showing at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), May 14-16 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

In the fantasy world of Guild Wars, players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a game that will constantly evolve, using streaming technology to provide players with the latest updates while they're online. In addition, gamers will be able to play Guild Wars without a monthly fee in North America. NCsoft will announce a variety of pricing options for gamers in other parts of the world in the near future.

"We're excited to unveil Guild Wars," said Patrick Wyatt, the original producer and lead programmer for the Warcraft series. "We believe that players are going to enjoy experiencing a game that offers technological advances that fundamentally improve the online role-playing experience, and the introduction of a groundbreaking business model for the genre."

ArenaNet was founded by key members of the creative teams behind the hit game series Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo, as well as Battle.net, one of the most successful gaming networks in the world.

The game is mission-based, and while each combat experience will be different, achievements will be permanent, so that each character grows and progresses over time. Unique items, special abilities, and a wide variety of skills will add meaningful value for the players. Missions are not scripted adventures, but are tactical battlegrounds where victory or loss is determined by skill and teamwork.

Mike O'Brien, the creator and architect of Battle.net, points out "Our vision has been to create a game that rewards skill and inventiveness rather than hundreds of hours of play, so we've built Guild Wars from the ground up to be a balanced environment where players of all skill levels can compete for recognition and prizes."

Key Game Features

• Join in cooperative quests or unite in head-to-head guild battles.
    • Develop a unique character who can explore multiple professions and choose from hundreds of unique skills.
    • Enjoy fully-integrated support for guilds, including worldwide tournaments and ladders, guildhalls, special character identification and forums directly built into the game.
    • Experience a changing world, where the entire landscape can be altered as you explore and conquer.
    • Play in a secure server-hosted game environment that prevents cheating; ArenaNet's technology allows quick and seamless resolution of exploits.

Guild Wars is expected to launch in the 2nd Half of 2004. Many additional details about Guild Wars may be found at the game site: www.guildwars.com.

*popcorn* 

Quoted just incased it's been missed.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Trust but verify.

Unfortuately you can't do that much verifying when something is not released.  This leaves us with an aching hole in our hearts we can't quite; fill forever striving for completeness.  Or at least until August 25-ish.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

What a nonsence...

Originally posted by gestalt11

Trust but verify.

Unfortuately you can't do that much verifying when something is not released.  This leaves us with an aching hole in our hearts we can't quite; fill forever striving for completeness.  Or at least until August 25-ish.

hahaha, true enough. My quality of life will vastly improve come August 25th... regardless of what the economy looks like!

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

i didnt play gw1 until about a year ago when there was something completely free to play. free trial .. free something .. i dont remember tbh as I didnt play for long because it wasn't an MMO .. which I knew it wasn't. I knew this back in 2004.

How you didn't know that is beyond me .. beyond reason. Sounds like you read a fanboy post claiming it would be the best mmo ever because anet never said anything like that and it was perfectly clear to me well before release that it wasn't a persistent world mmo, but a coop rpg.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by WhiteProphet

Lol I and many more love gw, been playing it for 7 years. And after some 3 years in gw i tried wow. Just couldn't play it compered to gw it was a gear grind trash. Just how I felt. I wes never bothered with the world not being open and stuff, pvp was even ground for everyone and requierd skill in creating builds and coordiantion in a team. Gw was my best "mmo" expirience and i hope gw2 will replace it since nothing else in the recent years could.

Well thats just how i fell about it.

That's cool.  But there were many people who felt they were duped into buying a game that was marketed as something else.

yeah dont trust Anet , GW2 is not a mmo, all the DE, the combat system, the W vs W are not true

the betas were a lure , actually GW2 is another fps and there are only 2 maps Ascalon and Lion's Arch  but you can purchase others maps in the cash shop , if you buy Rata sum and Fort Ranik they give you for free Ring of Fires, its a good deal

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Simple: Guild Wars.

Prior to it's release, it was touted as the "revolution" of the MMO genre.  Most clamored to this new B2P model thinking it would overthrow WoW and other P2P titles.  A few days in and people realized the gravest of all errors:  the game wasn't even an MMO, but a COOP game with a lobby system.

I, for one, fell for the hype back the.  I am determined not to make the same mistake again with this company.

P.S. Not a troll/flame thread.  But a real discussion as to why people might not be trusting of ANET.

Simple: Don't play GW2.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Irregardless of whether I was wrong in my assumption back then, I was under the impression the game was to be an "MMO".  I've already posted links of others thinking along the same terms and the confusion of it back in 2004.

This is MY reason why WE should not trust ANET.  I know this was going to be a heated discussion, but the personal attacks and name-calling are not justified.

Goes to show you what kind of community this site has become populated with.

I won't respond until everyone calms the hell down.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Amana

Guys, please refrain from attacking the OP. Disputing the OP's claims is fine, but personal attacks are not.

Amana, can you please close this thread, it is purely troll/flame. There are several of us asking for you guys to please close it.

This.

Please close this thread and bring out the banhammer.

The topic of this thread and the contents of the OPs post are deliberately inflammatory and just posting to try to get an argument going which is defined as trolling in the forum rules

From MMORPG.com rules of conduct

Trolling

• Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.
      For example: If there is one game that you did not enjoy, voicing your opinion is encouraged. Posting this opinion in every thread concerning that game to the point that it disrupts all other conversation is not tolerated.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The fact that the OP thinks that linking threads on MMORPG.com is a 'credible resource' speaks volumes..

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Irregardless of whether I was wrong in my assumption back then, I was under the impression the game was to be an "MMO".  I've already posted links of others thinking along the same terms and the confusion of it back in 2004.

This is MY reason why WE should not trust ANET.  I know this was going to be a heated discussion, but the personal attacks and name-calling are not justified.

Again what does your own ignorance have to do with ArenaNet?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by azmundai

How you didn't know that is beyond me .. beyond reason.

WoW General.

Some of the threads on the WoW site were, actually, really typical of early '05.  Loads of disinformation, lots of fan vs fan, closed and deleted threads a-plenty.

Anet was quite well marketed, without spending a penny.  Certainly resulted in a fair number of people "try the new MMO!" without knowing a bloody damn thing about it first.

That's just one site, of course.  Its certain that pretty much the same thing was happening on a dozen others.  I personally first caught wind of GW the same place I first caught wind of WoW--the CoH message boards.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Actually they never touted it as the next best thing. What they did wave around all the time was the B2P model and understandibly so. When that game came out I didn't have any income and my parents weren't going to give me any money to sub to a "game" so GW1 was an excellent option for folks who have no income or aren't spoiled.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by aesperus
    If you want to have a real discussion (and are not honestly trolling), then you may want to get your facts straight first.

GW1 isn't (and never was) an MMORPG. The developers even stated as such. The fact that.

I actually went looking for promo vids and cannot find many working ones to see if at one stage, they did market it as mmorpg.

To that end, and for clarity. Can you cite a reference claiming it a co-op rpg?

The back of the box that we all purchased.

QFT, just looked at the back of the box and its there

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Why would you think it was a MMO, when the company never called it one? They said prior to release that it was a CORPG, not a MMO.

I remember it being marketed as an MMO.  I don't recall them saying that at all.

reviewers may haved called GW a mmo but ANET did not market it like that

from their FAQ, in 2005

http://guildwars.com/support/faq/prophecies-faq.php

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Simple: snip 

blah blah blah.

GW was not released expecting to end WoW...WoW wasnt massive when GW was released because GW was released a few months after WoW. Much like everything else you stated, its just plain wrong...and seeing as how the game sold 6.5 MILLION COPIES...its time for you to go away because the players did speak, they loved it and made it the second highest selling MMORPG of all time.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

This

Believing GW was a MMO was complete fault on your part.  I paid attention to GW1 from the get go and still remember when guilds had bibs instead of capes.  Having paid proper attention to the game pre-release, I can assure you Anet never called it a MMO and went far out of their way to call it a CORPG(with a definition and all).

Don't feel bad though, thousands of people do this all the time.  This see an online rpg being released and assume it's a MMO made personally for their tastes since it's online and a rpg.  The latest examples I remember are DCUO and SWTOR.  People just did not pay attention and expected something contrary to was the pre-release information was saying they were making/giving.   Heck, DCUO was always intended to have a cash shop and then the f2p move hit and people were all 'wtf @ the cash shop' without ever considering that it was promised from the get go.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Irregardless is not a word, first off.

Second off, I will acknolwedge that there were players confused about whether GW1 was an MMORPG or not. I will also acknowledge that third parties like PCGamer and Gamespot mislabeled the game as an MMO, causing greater confusion.

Anet was not responsibile for your assumptions, and the control they have over what third parties print is little at best. 

And that is the basis for my argument against you sir. not rage, not flaming, just simple, cold logic. And no point did anytthing created by Anet refer to the game as an MMORPG. Nothing they had any control over ever said that. They never lied, and none of the advertising they themsleves did was false in any way. if you can find me a piece of Anet advertising (not an article in someone else's magazine, an acutal ad or statement by someone in Anet themselves) referring to GW1 as an MMORPG, then I will accept your statement. Not a chance until then.

Your move.

Irregardless is not a word, it's just regardless

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

We are calm buddy. Many of us are popcorn calm.

I'm going to say this once, and only once, for your own good. You've been given pleanty of ways to back out of this. Digging yourself a bigger hole is not advised.

What you don't seem to be understanding (and it's all the more clear with every one of these posts you make), is that your interpretation of GW1 (and others as well) had nothing to do with Anet or the game itself. You are essentially blaming a company, because you failed to have a realistic expectation of their product, and failed to do any sort of research before buying it.

Think about it in another context. What you are doing is not much different from the lady who blamed mc donalds for not telling her that her coffee was hot. At a certain point you need to take responsibility for your own actions. That's part of being an adult.

This discussion has been closed.