Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why we should NOT trust ANET

Comments

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Before the inevitable lock

Let's ask a different question: Why we should trust ANET?

Simple answer: Because everything they promised is in the game...

As to the OPs "suggestion", that's garbage, Arenanet never advertised Guild Wars 1 as an MMORPG or a WoW killer. It's funny seeing to what lengths people will go to bash a game with their ignorance

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by botrytis

Simple: Guild Wars.

Prior to it's release, it was touted as the "revolution" of the MMO genre.  Most clamored to this new B2P model thinking it would overthrow WoW and other P2P titles.  A few days in and people realized the gravest of all errors:  the game wasn't even an MMO, but a COOP game with a lobby system.

I, for one, fell for the hype back the.  I am determined not to make the same mistake again with this company.

P.S. Not a troll/flame thread.  But a real discussion as to why people might not be trusting of ANET.

GW was a great game but it wasn't for everyone. There was nothing wrong with GW because it was a game you could even play when using a modem to dial in. WoW couldn't do that and many others of the same era couldn't say that either.

You have given no reason why GW is the reason not to trust A.Net. The game was exactly as it was described. I can't find fault with that. You gave no explanations so my conclusion is that this is really a flame/troll thread.

If you want people to discuss something, you have to give more information. As Johnny said, 'NEED MORE INFO!'

I don't have the ad page in front of me, but one particular one stands out.

It was a full page ad taken out in PCGamer with the headline "The revolution is here".  There were other statements or images on that same page suggesting the revolution to be the MMO market (they may not have come out and said Massive Multiplayer Roleplayer Game but used a similar verbage to allude to it).

I'll see if I can find that ad and link it (or if anyone has it, please do).

I also heard about this other product which takes all all the fat from your body without needing to do any excercise and you get to eat as much as you want. There's also another product which grows all the hair on your balding head back; in 3 days! no less!

There's another product which cooks entire meals for you without you even needing to buy any food or even buy the product in the first place! amazing isn't it!!

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Right this straw grasping is getting so pathetic that I'm not sure if you're trolling anymore.

how is this trolling? Game company releases game suggesting to audience it is something which it isn't.  Player feels burned.  Player doesn't trust company on new release.  How in the world is that straw grasping?

We're not talking about buying a bicycle and expecting to  get a car...we're talking about a game that was advertised to be the revolution of the new forming genre.  What don't you see here?

Oh my God he is serious, this can't be, like what's that word called when someone is literally believing in their lies or something, started with a P and I might have the definition completely off.

I checked around Google, and it was either Psycho or something related to Narcissistic personality disorder...

or maybe that was something else.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by WhiteProphet

Lol I and many more love gw, been playing it for 7 years. And after some 3 years in gw i tried wow. Just couldn't play it compered to gw it was a gear grind trash. Just how I felt. I wes never bothered with the world not being open and stuff, pvp was even ground for everyone and requierd skill in creating builds and coordiantion in a team. Gw was my best "mmo" expirience and i hope gw2 will replace it since nothing else in the recent years could.

Well thats just how i fell about it.

That's cool.  But there were many people who felt they were duped into buying a game that was marketed as something else.

Who?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Lol I and many more love gw, been playing it for 7 years. And after some 3 years in gw i tried wow. Just couldn't play it compered to gw it was a gear grind trash. Just how I felt. I wes never bothered with the world not being open and stuff, pvp was even ground for everyone and requierd skill in creating builds and coordiantion in a team. Gw was my best "mmo" expirience and i hope gw2 will replace it since nothing else in the recent years could.

That's cool.  But there were many people who felt they were duped into buying a game that was marketed as something else.

Any proof of that marketing or you are just trolling?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Grimal, the only person who duped you into buying the game was yourself; YOU duped yourself!!

Originally posted by Enigmatus

Right this straw grasping is getting so pathetic that I'm not sure if you're trolling anymore.

how is this trolling? Game company releases game suggesting to audience it is something which it isn't.  Player feels burned.  Player doesn't trust company on new release.  How in the world is that straw grasping?

We're not talking about buying a bicycle and expecting to  get a car...we're talking about a game that was advertised to be the revolution of the new forming genre.  What don't you see here?

Oh my God he is serious, this can't be, like what's that word called when someone is literally believing in their lies or something, started with a P and I might have the definition completely off.

I checked around Google, and it was either Psycho or something related to Narcissistic personality disorder...

For him... I would just do an "all of the above" lol

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Nefera

Why would you think it was a MMO, when the company never called it one? They said prior to release that it was a CORPG, not a MMO.

I remember it being marketed as an MMO.  I don't recall them saying that at all.

I have just dug out all of my original Guild Wars boxes. All 3 of them (I dl'ed GWEN). The word MMO is not anywhere on any of them. It doesnt say it anywhere on their website, and AFAIK never did. On http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/default.php it describes the game as having "Multiple cooperative and competitive gameplay modes"

Arenanet have never claimed that GW1 was an MMO. Other may have, but ANet never did. You will notice the quotes from various gaming website at the top of the linked page saying "best MMO" etc..... but ANet never claimed it was....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by evilastro

I think we have reached a new low with the troll threads.

1) They never called GW1 a MMO, they made it abundantly clear in everything from the previews through to the packaging of the game itself that it did not have persistant adventure zones. Although that said, it was more of a MMO than some of the new action games that called MMOs like Vindictus.

2) The game is one of the Top 10 best selling PC games of all time, with over 6.5 million copies sold. It did revolutionise the genre as pretty much the only RPG with balanced and skill based PvP.

I think your trust issues shoudl be with your reading capabilities. ArenaNet has been nothing but honest in all of their liason with the public. If you expected something else from Guild Wars 1 other than what they delivered, it is because you are unable to read and comprehend simple statements, not because they lied to you.

No need for the personal attacks.

1) Persistent adventure zones.  That was a fairly uncommon term back then.  Remember, most MMOs prior to its release did not have ANY instancing, so this was not really something that stuck out.  If you start throwing around terms that people don't understand because maybe they have never been applied before, how can you honestly expect people to comprehend them? Vindictus came out MUCH MUCH later.

2) My discussing isn't about box sales at all.  Not sure why you brought this up.  I think it definitely brought instancing to the mainstream as for contributions.  Not sure of anything else.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I think the word was pathological liar, I still could be thinking of the definition wrong though.

It upsets me a little bit because when I typed ANET and CORPG you find what ANET believed their own game was. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Delusional. The word you are looking for is delusional.

The point remains, why now? The game was released 7 years ago!! He should have trolled then and leave us in peace!

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Okay, okay Grimal.  I love you man, you're great.  Let's compromise.

You will not, cannot, and have not found any evidence that Arenanet said it was an MMORPG.

At best, you've vaguely referenced that they 'insinuated and dropped clues it might be an MMORPG in an ad'.

All the rest of us aren't confused.  That means we apparently read all the ads the right way.

So here's what we'll do.

We'll agree... me and you, let's leave these other folks out of it... that given Arenanet's track record, it appears to be okay to trust what they EXPLICITLY say...

... but that when you start reading context into things that isn't neccessarily there, you're standing on shaky ground.

So... the topic is now officially 'Why we should not trust what we read between the lines by Arenanet and should rely on what they explicitly say is'.  How about it? :)

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

OP. Your Sig says you played GW and bought ALL the exspansions. 

I don't know what your agenda is with this thread but it 100%  is NOT to discuss arenanet as a company and true to their word they tend to be. That would be a discussion worth having, but alas troll makes troll thread with no point or actual substance.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Prior to it's release, it was touted as the "revolution" of the MMO genre.  Most clamored to this new B2P model thinking it would overthrow WoW and other P2P titles.  A few days in and people realized the gravest of all errors:  the game wasn't even an MMO, but a COOP game with a lobby system.

Yes, first time in an (uncounted but large) number of people failed to read the box.  Who you blame for that basic omission is key.

But coders in the 80s would advise that the basic RTFM rule applies.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Just block him, report every single one of his posts and wait for a moderator to lock this... unless he decides to actually post anything that support his argument and isn't just trolling

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93

Oh come on mods, seriously? This guy has been hardcore trolling Guild Wars 2 forum for like 2 weeks straight, ban please. Though I wouldn't be surprised if I get a temporary ban for just saying this.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Nefera

Why would you think it was a MMO, when the company never called it one? They said prior to release that it was a CORPG, not a MMO.

I remember it being marketed as an MMO.  I don't recall them saying that at all.

Why we should NOT trust you

http://www.arena.net/press/guild_wars_announcement/

SEOUL, South Korea/SEATTLE, WA, April 22, 2003 — NCsoft, the world's top developer of online computer games is pleased to announce Guild WarsTM, a mission-based competitive online role playing game, produced by its Seattle-based ArenaNet studio. Guild Wars will have its first major public showing at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), May 14-16 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

In the fantasy world of Guild Wars, players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a game that will constantly evolve, using streaming technology to provide players with the latest updates while they're online. In addition, gamers will be able to play Guild Wars without a monthly fee in North America. NCsoft will announce a variety of pricing options for gamers in other parts of the world in the near future.

"We're excited to unveil Guild Wars," said Patrick Wyatt, the original producer and lead programmer for the Warcraft series. "We believe that players are going to enjoy experiencing a game that offers technological advances that fundamentally improve the online role-playing experience, and the introduction of a groundbreaking business model for the genre."

ArenaNet was founded by key members of the creative teams behind the hit game series Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo, as well as Battle.net, one of the most successful gaming networks in the world.

The game is mission-based, and while each combat experience will be different, achievements will be permanent, so that each character grows and progresses over time. Unique items, special abilities, and a wide variety of skills will add meaningful value for the players. Missions are not scripted adventures, but are tactical battlegrounds where victory or loss is determined by skill and teamwork.

Mike O'Brien, the creator and architect of Battle.net, points out "Our vision has been to create a game that rewards skill and inventiveness rather than hundreds of hours of play, so we've built Guild Wars from the ground up to be a balanced environment where players of all skill levels can compete for recognition and prizes."

Key Game Features

• Join in cooperative quests or unite in head-to-head guild battles.
    • Develop a unique character who can explore multiple professions and choose from hundreds of unique skills.
    • Enjoy fully-integrated support for guilds, including worldwide tournaments and ladders, guildhalls, special character identification and forums directly built into the game.
    • Experience a changing world, where the entire landscape can be altered as you explore and conquer.
    • Play in a secure server-hosted game environment that prevents cheating; ArenaNet's technology allows quick and seamless resolution of exploits.

Guild Wars is expected to launch in the 2nd Half of 2004. Many additional details about Guild Wars may be found at the game site: www.guildwars.com.

Originally posted by evilastro

I think we have reached a new low with the troll threads.

1) They never called GW1 a MMO, they made it abundantly clear in everything from the previews through to the packaging of the game itself that it did not have persistant adventure zones. Although that said, it was more of a MMO than some of the new action games that called MMOs like Vindictus.

2) The game is one of the Top 10 best selling PC games of all time, with over 6.5 million copies sold. It did revolutionise the genre as pretty much the only RPG with balanced and skill based PvP.

I think your trust issues shoudl be with your reading capabilities. ArenaNet has been nothing but honest in all of their liason with the public. If you expected something else from Guild Wars 1 other than what they delivered, it is because you are unable to read and comprehend simple statements, not because they lied to you.

No need for the personal attacks.

1) Persistent adventure zones.  That was a fairly uncommon term back then.  Remember, most MMOs prior to its release did not have ANY instancing, so this was not really something that stuck out.  If you start throwing around terms that people don't understand because maybe they have never been applied before, how can you honestly expect people to comprehend them? Vindictus came out MUCH MUCH later.

2) My discussing isn't about box sales at all.  Not sure why you brought this up.  I think it definitely brought instancing to the mainstream as for contributions.  Not sure of anything else.

Grimal?? do you not have any self respect?? Any digninity??

Take responsibility for yourself and your own actions!! Stop blaming Anet for something they did not do and start realizing that YOU and only YOU made the mistake in thinking GW was something that it wasn't. You either let others define GW for you, misunderstood what people said about GW, or were too lazy to do your own homework. Either way, it is YOU who is responsible, not Anet!!

goodness!!

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

I think the word was pathological liar, I still could be thinking of the definition wrong though.

It upsets me a little bit because when I typed ANET and CORPG you find what ANET believed their own game was. 

We call them sociopaths now.  It's much more PC.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by joocheese

I, for one, fell for the hype back the.  I am determined not to make the same mistake again with this company.

P.S. Not a troll/flame thread.  But a real discussion as to why people might not be trusting of ANET.

You do realize that GW was released 5 months after WOW right? (WOW: Nov '04 & GW: April '05).

I sure as hell don't remember anything about "most" clamoring thatGW would be overthrowing WOW. And GW was never advertized (by Anet) as an MMO.

If you wanted to start a thread as to why people should not trust Anet, you should have linked something in order to substantiate your claims. Not only that, but you should have found something for which to blame Anet as a untrustworthy company; such as lying to customers, cheating people out of something, or some illegal or borderline illegal activity.

That fact that you did none of the above does in fact lead me to believe you this is a troll/flame thread and nothing more.

Search is a handy tool.

Taken from our very own MMORPG forums:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/thread/17019/GWvsWOW.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/thread/7868/WoW-vs-Guild-Wars.html

Confusion as to whether it is an MMO or not:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/thread/25473/MMO-OR-NO-.html

I'll add more later.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Booyakasha. Ladies and gentlemen, Oldmanfunk with the /thread.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Since everyone else has already pointed out the fallacy regarding the lie about them claiming it as an MMO, I'll point out the other part that I felt was ignorant as well. GW didn't creat this so called new B2P model since every game I had ever played including other CO/ARPG's had all done it. I expected an ARPG lobby style game with an MMO UI and that's kind of what I got. I don't remember the game being touted as a game that would overthrow WoW (which was only released 5 months before GW and wasn't the juggernaut of the genre yet) and other P2P titles. The B2P model was pretty common for what the game was. I think you are letting your negative opinions of the game distort your views on the facts. I felt burnt by the purchase of the GW titles, but it had nothing to do with marketing spin or the payment model.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Guys, please refrain from attacking the OP. Disputing the OP's claims is fine, but personal attacks are not.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

grimal, did you see the post that OldManFunk provided? What do you have to say about that? And remember, ignorance is not a defense.

This discussion has been closed.