Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are World Of Warcraft players a targeted playerbase for Arenanet?

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The WoW players that I know who've quit playing WoW distinctly do not want the WoW crowd in their next mmo, and those that are still playing WoW won't be bothered with a new game.  I think the last thing that Anet would want to do is try to lure the WoW crowd, rather they would want to lure those people that don't want to play WoW.

EDIT: Just for clarity, I never played WoW. I'm only speaking in regards to what people I know have said.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

So you guys are ex-WoW players but you would HATE to play with future ex-WoW players? Do you know how silly that sounds?

Guild Wars 2 is targeting everyone be it MMO players or non-MMO players. There were a lot of non-MMO players playing GW1. Actually there were a lot of GW1 fans who hated MMOs. Then there's all those people who hate subs. So GW targets pretty much everyone. It is naive to think that GW2 targets only disgruntled MMO players who are unhappy with every possible MMO out there.

I am an ex WoW player and an ex GW player and I will definitely buy GW2 because GW1 was awesome. I played every single expansion at release and it was damn fun.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Clawzon

I think not but perhaps some people here would think otherwise.... I don't know....;)

Nah, they're not! I've read all the comments on the forums all over the internet, not only on this site! GW2 players ABSOLUTELY HATE World Of Warcraft!

Isn't that so..........

I remember in one of the interviews with Colin Johansson.. saying specifically that they aren't trying to steal players from P2P games or targetting p2p players specifically.  So no I disagree with your statement.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

All MMO players, ex MMO players and non MMO players are a possible target.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

This is the key in my opinion. If someone really hates MMOs he should try Guild Wars 2, most of the "annoying" features of MMOs isn't in the game. Maybe that's why I wouldn't say they are targeting the playerbase of WoW or of any other MMO. They do but they equally target those that hate, or simply don't play, MMOs

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Anet's goal is to beat WOW in sales and how do you do that without going for mass consumption and not focusing on the biggest playerbase any P2P MMO has to offer?

So yes it is trageted towards WOW playerbase as much as it is targeted towards those who don't play WOW. GW2 is the new Mcdonald, reach as many as possible and as quickly as they can.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

i hope not

star wars the old republic is a example of what happens when the wow community comes into your game.it sinks 6 months later

SWTOR was not sunken by the WoW crowd. Talk about denial.

SWTOR was sunken by Bioware and EA.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I think not but perhaps some people here would think otherwise.... I don't know....;) Nah, they're not! I've read all the comments on the forums all over the internet, not only on this site! GW2 players ABSOLUTELY HATE World Of Warcraft! Isn't that so..........  

Im convinced they are targeting disgruntled wow players.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Would it surprise you to learn that "WoW players" are actually a bunch of very different people, each with their own personal preferences and interests.

Many of the most vocal haters of WoW were once among the most dedicated fans of WoW. It's kinda like what you see when two people have a bad breakup.

I think ArenaNet is targeting far and wide - and they want as many people playing as possible. I don't really think they're targeting in terms of a specific game people might have played or are still playing.

Also, I think they might have misunderstood the appeal of the genre entirely - but let's wait until the hype is gone and the game has been out for a few months. That's usually when you can get the most level-headed discussions.

As in, after the hype has turned to reality - but before the once blind support turns to the irrational hatred of the severely disappointed.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

That's like targetting someone who likes blue with a new shade of red.

Not only has Anet said they aren't specifically targetting players (beyond those from GW1), the game itself is entirely different from WoW. Some in these forums like to claim otherwise, but they're delusional. One need only look in the forums during the past events to see how many people are whining about it being too hard, there being no healers and tanks, and suggesting various WoW features be added to the game. 

I'm not even sure many WoW players will play GW2. They might, but it would take some getting used to for them. I have a WoW friend that is going to be playing with me in GW2, and I've seen some people on this forums saying they will convert, but I doubt it's for the long haul. WoW is like crack to people that've been playing it long enough.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Don't even use GW2 and you know what in the same sentence.

GW2 is far more superior. That other game you are all talking about didn't get me passed th 10 day free trial.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Anet's goal is to beat WOW in sales and how do you do that without going for mass consumption and not focusing on the biggest playerbase any P2P MMO has to offer?

So yes it is trageted towards WOW playerbase as much as it is targeted towards those who don't play WOW. GW2 is the new Mcdonald, reach as many as possible and as quickly as they can.

Can you please link the article where Anet devs say that their goal is to beat WOW in sales.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I think that Anet is just trying to make a really good game.  The old saying holds true..."you build it (right) and they will come (and stay for awhile)."

Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

This is the key in my opinion. If someone really hates MMOs he should try Guild Wars 2, most of the "annoying" features of MMOs isn't in the game. Maybe that's why I wouldn't say they are targeting the playerbase of WoW or of any other MMO. They do but they equally target those that hate, or simply don't play, MMOs

Agreed. Some speak of the mmo playerbase depletion and thus insinuating that for GW2 to be successful they have to steal playeres from wow due to the "fact" that there are no more players. I think this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Not only is the mmo playerbase not even near from depletion (how could you even measure such a thing), but the fact that GW2 is aiming for the non mmo playerbase means that they they are going after any/all players; not just wow players.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Deviating a bit from the OP I think WoW players would be a good audience for GW2. Good development quality, smooth gameplay, deep customization and pleasing to the eye. I could see many WoW raiders playing this game during off nights.

This is a decent example of how my WoW guild is going to play GW2. We are a casual 10 man raiding guild, with achievement hunting as a priority as well, so we have a very diversified group. Hell, out of the 40 or so active people within my guild, about 12-13 of us raid and the rest game socially and do their own thing. We're a community that's been together for about 5 years, that's really the glue that keeps us together.

I would say there's about a dozen or so (ironically most of the raiders) who are also committed to playing GW2, with the majority of that group already pre-purchasers (making words up now). We have our gameplan set out.

WoW is going to be our gear grind, raiding game where we have fun taking on content. GW2 is going to be where we more socially game, and probably PvP in the WvWvW scene since that's a type of pvp that many of us seem to prefer (we have a number of ex-DAoC folks). Hell, my wife who hates WoW PvP is looking forward to WvWvW because it's a more "natural" type of pvp (in her words).

I just want to keep the elitist WoW pricks out of GW2.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

With B2P they are going for anyone who likes RPGs at all.

Originally posted by Badaboom

I think that Anet is just trying to make a really good game.  The old saying holds true..."you build it (right) and they will come (and stay for awhile)."

Agreed.

My wife and I were commenting as to why Chick-fil-a is so successful when other fast-food restaurants don't do as well. Though our conversation did not include any scientific data (mostly based on our personal experience), we concluded that one of the main reasons for Chick-fil-a's success is their great tasting food, wonderful service and spotlessly clean restaurants; can't say the same for most other fast food joints. If you just give people great tasting food and provide them with great service in a clean restaurant, they will come and come again; just build it right.

I think the same applies to most businesses, including (especially) mmo's. If you build a good, fun and holistically solid mmo, players will come and stay. So far, that is my perception of GW2, it is an all around very well put together game and if they keep it up I think they will be very successful.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

What is this...highschool?  Trying to get one clique to fight another?  "IM BETTER" "NO I'M BETTER"

Grow up kiddies.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Does this thread mean that general chat will be full of "Go back to WoW" comments? If that's the case, my ignore list will fill up pretty fast.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by joocheese
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Can you please link the article where Anet devs say that their goal is to beat WOW in sales.

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

I think not but perhaps some people here would think otherwise.... I don't know....;)

Nah, they're not! I've read all the comments on the forums all over the internet, not only on this site! GW2 players ABSOLUTELY HATE World Of Warcraft!

Isn't that so..........

Anet is targeting anyone with a wallet and money to spend in that wallet.  Anet has always been ahead of the marketing curve with their BTP business model.  These companies are in it for the money, not the love of some imaginary genre.   They  will make money hand over fist all while people will scream about how ANET are in it for the fans.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• Anet is trying to make a game that people will like.  People.  That's it.

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

I wouldn't see why. 

Thats one of the worst playerbases in existence,  only topped by screaming  Xbox live children, and those people who keep whining for 'open world PvP' in every MMO thread.

This game will continue to be hated on and avoided by the 'elite'  group of people and 'HARDCOR3 1337' PvP types once they see that theres an MMO that doesn't let people be assholes to each other, and will continue to ignore thier whining and bitching.

I think they're after the tired, jaded post-WoW group.

The ones who just don't give a shit anymore.

The ones who just want to have.... 

...fun.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

ANET wants the grow the market of people playing mmos (including those that dont like mmos)

ANET doesnt care where the players come from

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Isn't that so..........

I think the WoW fan base is a part of their target yes. Is that their main objective/target? I don't think so, I think it goes beyond WoW...