Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting back up in FFXIV, many questions...

stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

I heard that FFXIV 2.0 will be arriving in late 2012 or early 2013, which I am looking forward to.  I then saw that if you subscribe to FFXIV pre-2.0 for 3 months or more you will lock in a permanent 9.99 per month price for your account.  It was also said that there is some current content that will be dissapearing once 2.0 arrives.  So for these reasons, coupled with the lack of new quality MMORPG's in the market right now, I am starting back up in FFXIV.

I have a few questions...

1.  I see that the client still suffers from the "DirectX crash from alt-tab" problem.  When you run the game in full screen mode and alt tab out, the client will terminate.  Is there any new and robust solution for this?  My google/yahoo searches into this yield forum posts from 2010, and some dead links to programs.  Are there any methods of doing this that SquareEnix allows players to use without risk of being banned?  I know some people have said macro programs like AutoHotKey can solve this problem but macro programs are kind of a red flag for MMOs.

2.  What is the easiest/fastest way for me to get a mount?  I saw the free goobbue mount thing but that ended at patch 1.23 which is currently active to my knowledge.  My highest job (Gladiator) is only lv 21.  So I don't think I would of qualified for the mount anyways?   I read that you can get a chocobo mount from turning in some tokens or something?

3.  Are levequests still a must in order for fast progression?  One of the reasons I quit the game back in 2010 was because every day I spent all my time grinding levequests and felt locked into it.  Sometimes I'd feel like I would rather just want to wander around and explore and kill random mobs, but that would be bad exp compared to the daily levequests.  Is this still the case?

4.  Why are large expanses of maps missing mobs?  I was wandering around the area east of Camp Drybone and I couldn't see any mobs for a huge chunk of land I covered.  Is that area supposed to be so empty?  I know that the combat levequests spawn your own personal mobs far out from the camp, is it just for this reason?

Comments

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by stormseekaz

I heard that FFXIV 2.0 will be arriving in late 2012 or early 2013, which I am looking forward to.  I then saw that if you subscribe to FFXIV pre-2.0 for 3 months or more you will lock in a permanent 9.99 per month price for your account.  It was also said that there is some current content that will be dissapearing once 2.0 arrives.  So for these reasons, coupled with the lack of new quality MMORPG's in the market right now, I am starting back up in FFXIV.

Hi there! So I figured I'd touch on a few things for you. The offer to unlock Legacy (i.e. the permanent $9.99 discount) ended in June, so unfortunately you missed that.

I have a few questions...

1.  I see that the client still suffers from the "DirectX crash from alt-tab" problem.  When you run the game in full screen mode and alt tab out, the client will terminate.  Is there any new and robust solution for this?  My google/yahoo searches into this yield forum posts from 2010, and some dead links to programs.  Are there any methods of doing this that SquareEnix allows players to use without risk of being banned?  I know some people have said macro programs like AutoHotKey can solve this problem but macro programs are kind of a red flag for MMOs.

This issue still occurs and it's incredibly annoying, but it's unfortunately how the engine operates. To my knowledge there are no ways of getting the client to do a Fullscreen-Windowed mode anymore, without them coming at you with a banhammer. If anyone knows of a way, I certainly would love to know about it, because right now I'm running it in a much-too-small window.

3.  Are levequests still a must in order for fast progression?  One of the reasons I quit the game back in 2010 was because every day I spent all my time grinding levequests and felt locked into it.  Sometimes I'd feel like I would rather just want to wander around and explore and kill random mobs, but that would be bad exp compared to the daily levequests.  Is this still the case?

Yes, they're still in the game and still a good way for fast progression. That being said, you get a lot more leve chances as they're on a much shorter timer now. You can of course wander around and kill mobs but it IS certainly lower experience than the leves. I'm hoping 2.0 changes this up some.

Hope that helps a little bit. I know I didn't answer a whole lot, but I figure I had some info I could relay. Hope you enjoy your time in FFXIV. 2.0 is looking to be awesome!

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142

2.  What is the easiest/fastest way for me to get a mount?  I saw the free goobbue mount thing but that ended at patch 1.23 which is currently active to my knowledge.  My highest job (Gladiator) is only lv 21.  So I don't think I would of qualified for the mount anyways?   I read that you can get a chocobo mount from turning in some tokens or something?

The gobbue is still around and if you were to do a leve quest grind with your stored leve's from not logging in for so long.. you should be able to get level 30 in a few hours. You have to do it before 1.23b or something, the next content patch.

Edit: The chocobo mount can be obtained from chosing a grand company. You have to go through the grand company quests for each city until you chose one, which costs what like.. I forgot how many seals.

Here's some FFXIV databases that I use

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://mooglebox.com/includes/index.php

• stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Soaapy

The gobbue is still around and if you were to do a leve quest grind with your stored leve's from not logging in for so long.. you should be able to get level 30 in a few hours. You have to do it before 1.23b or something, the next content patch.

Edit: The chocobo mount can be obtained from chosing a grand company. You have to go through the grand company quests for each city until you chose one, which costs what like.. I forgot how many seals.

Here's some FFXIV databases that I use

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://mooglebox.com/includes/index.php

I just read that physical levels were abolished in patch 1.19.  When I read that the goobbue requires level 30, does that mean just one of my jobs needs to reach lv 30?  Or did that refer to the previous "physical level".  If so, what would that now be equivalent to?  I am not 100% sure but I remember my physical level being in the 25-35 range back when it existed.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

You only need 1 class at 30.  Go to south of Bloodshore at Rooster Stead (i think) and talk to the npc near the fire.  You automatically get the mount....