Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is it that people get all bent out of shape when female models wear stereotypical revealing armo

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Why is it that people get all bent out of shape when female models wear stereotypical revealing armor, yet never say a damn thing about Male Models with stereotypical buffness appearance?

I got a Warning over on GW2 forum for this, but really this is what gets at me. Yeah Iam complaining about a complainer. But thats not the point.

the point I am trying to put forth is that it seem perfectly fine in western culture for MEN to be portrayed in a stereotypical Strong, Buff, manner,

but on the flip side, Female Models get bashed for being revealing in a more stereotypical portrayal. 

These people that complain about revealing armor models for Females, believe the its not possible for Women to fight in such armor.
Because in the real world, and real history, there were many Female Warriors that fought with more revealing armor.

They dont need to be a Male. They are Female. I dont see why we want to change Females into Males for they can be equal, which they never were or will be.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Christ, not THIS again...

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

Now try in english...

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Why is it that people get all bent out of shape when female models wear stereotypical revealing armor, yet never say a damn thing about Male Models with stereotypical buffness appearance?

People get bent out of shape about the revealing female armor because they can't seem to fathom how a woman could enjoy wearing sexy outfits (or in this case armor) unless it's for someone elses visual pleasure.  It must be about sex, because it couldn't possibly be something that they just happen to like.

As for the comparison, I don't think society in general sees males as being as objectified as females are.  Without the constantly insinuation that a buff male must be that way for someone elses pleasure that idea hasn't taken hold.

People really just need to get over the argument. You aren't going to change the stereotype until you change society.

• pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I got a Warning over on GW2 forum for this, but really this is what gets at me. Yeah Iam complaining about a complainer. But thats not the point.

the point I am trying to put forth is that it seem perfectly fine in western culture for MEN to be portrayed in a stereotypical Strong, Buff, manner,

but on the flip side, Female Models get bashed for being revealing in a more stereotypical portrayal. 

These people that complain about revealing armor models for Females, believe the its not possible for Women to fight in such armor.
    Because in the real world, and real history, there were many Female Warriors that fought with more revealing armor.

They dont need to be a Male. They are Female. I dont see why we want to change Females into Males for they can be equal, which they never were or will be.

Sex appeal sells very well. If you can convince somone that a coffee machine is sexy they'll buy it on that feature alone. The male sex appeal market is obviously not as large as the female market but, It'll get there over time. Revealing clothes and armor for males is eventually going to be as much a part of our culture as females.

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

Because a big-boned warrior in games seem more likely to defend people from safety. I don't see why mage classes are buffed up. That's just silly. And why do they have to wear robes?

Warriors need the stamina and strength and should be buffed up. But all the other classes not.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by KaylettaJade

As for the comparison, I don't think society in general sees males as being as objectified as females are.

Men are constantly objectified by women.  Sometimes physically, sometimes not.  The only difference is, by and large, we are not sensitive about it.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I agree, those stereotypical female models should be naked and the stereotypical male models should all have the empowering physique of pee-wee herman whilst wearing full combat gear and a trenchcoat.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

This discussion has been closed.