Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions on the "Back" item slot and Character Personality

Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103

So I just wanted to ask 2 things I noticed the last beta weekend that I really couldn't find any answers to after watching my fiance play the last beta weekend. If you open your hero display panel, the accessories slots have a "Back" slot, has anyone seen someone with an item equipped in this slot?  If not, what could they put in this slot?  I've heard from GW1 players say that originally ArenaNet had said that they were not going to put in Guild Capes for GW2, but what would that leave for the back slot option?  Totems? Standards? Just curious.

Second question is if the stats of Charm, Dignity, Ferocity can change the event paths that some NPCs can react to? Say for instance if you interact with an NPC using Ferocity, will that NPC give you a different event path as a pose to using Charm or Dignity?  I've looked up on the wiki regarding this mechanic and found only information regarding how NPCs will react to your character upon interaction.  Has anyone who has played in the beta triggered different events based on how they interact with the NPCs? I would like to think this would be a very interesting mechanic, but am not sure about how they would go about this when there are a group of people interacting with that NPC (maybe a tally system that counts up to until the event timer pops).

Thanks for anyone who can give any insight into my questions.

Comments

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

There is currently one known back items, and that's the backpakc you can get as engineer when starting. Probably there will be more in full game either obtainable in game or as cash shop booty. Apparently, according to some posts on reddit I've seen, the engineer backpack wasn't character bound last BWE so you could transfer it through bank to your other characters. 

As for the Charm/Dignity/Ferocity. So far I haven't seen much of world changer in them, they are bit of fluff to further your personal experience. Some NPCs may have special responses based on which you pick, and sometimes some of those options may require certain progress in given type. Perhapes there is more use of that mechanic in later parts of Personal Story (we only were able to test the prologue chapter really that ended on 19 level) 

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Not quite sure about ferocity etc. but there are different quests for different choices at character creation. For instance a friend and I both playing asura had a totally different quest for the same part. I had my golem sabatoged and it went berserk running off we had to hunt it down and take it out. His was a puzzle of some sort that had nothing to do with what I had, don't quite remeber the details of it though. I am also curious as to the mechanics at play here...

Originally posted by DaezAster

Not quite sure about ferocity etc. but there are different quests for different choices at character creation. For instance a friend and I both playing asura had a totally different quest for the same part. I had my golem sabatoged and it went berserk running off we had to hunt it down and take it out. His was a puzzle of some sort that had nothing to do with what I had, don't quite remeber the details of it though. I am also curious as to the mechanics at play here...

Those are based on race-unique choices when you create character and each generlaly corrospends to partof your Personal Story. The first choice (in case of Asura is the Krewe your character belongs to, in case of Charr the Legion, etc.) defines your first bit of Personal Story, your second choice (again, that's a second thing you are asked during character creation background bit, for Asura it's your first creation, for Charr it's your partner, etc.) is later part, and so on going thorugh the choices you made one by one. 

Originally posted by Ezhae
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Those are based on race-unique choices when you create character and each generlaly corrospends to partof your Personal Story. The first choice (in case of Asura is the Krewe your character belongs to, in case of Charr the Legion, etc.) defines your first bit of Personal Story, your second choice (again, that's a second thing you are asked during character creation background bit, for Asura it's your first creation, for Charr it's your partner, etc.) is later part, and so on going thorugh the choices you made one by one. 

Thanks for that.I was aware of that part but am not sure if the other choices made have much more to offer in said regard. I do appreciate your op. though.... ;)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I know the pirate sword from the cash shop pirate outfit went in the back slot. When that was equipped you got the pirate skillbar. This allowed you to wear other items while still having the pirate skillbar. I read that a toy slot was added lately for those things though.. havn't checked myself. It was also said a long time ago that ANet were working on quivers but nothing was said since.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50

Not sure about what anet plans to do with back items.

For the "alignment" question, I am fairly sure you can get different outcomes or ways of getting to other people by going through one of the three approaches, for example during the VAL-A golem asura story path I had to question someone about my asura's golem blueprints being tampered with, I had three choices, show his mistakes if he had tampered with the blueprints (dignity), convince him to give me the blueprints (charm) or downright challenge him to a golem battle (ferocity, and the path my asura warrior took). The last choice led me straight into the golem tournament facing my opponent's golems with a golem someone rent for me. I also remember while rolling a human engineer and going inside a bandit lair an option to insult one of the bandit leaders or make a move on her, which would convince her that I was an actual bandit or something (the charm path), I choose this second path and we didn't have to fight, though if I am correct I ended up battling her in a story further down the path.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103

This is something I am looking more to in terms of my question, I know Personal Story can be effected based on what Personality type you chose, but I'm just looking more towards, any choices outside of the Personal Story that can be effected by your Personality Trait and how you interact with NPCs.

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by Serin101

This is something I am looking more to in terms of my question, I know Personal Story can be effected based on what Personality type you chose, but I'm just looking more towards, any choices outside of the Personal Story that can be effected by your Personality Trait and how you interact with NPCs.

No idea then, mate.

All I have seen regarding personality in the open world were dialogue options that could influence your personality, by increasing it in one direction and decreasing others.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

id really like to see cloaks. i hate games without cloaks :( no it's not a dealbreaker by any stretch .. but I always resent games that dont have cloaks.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by azmundai

id really like to see cloaks. i hate games without cloaks :( no it's not a dealbreaker by any stretch .. but I always resent games that dont have cloaks.

Would love those too, the problem is, I think, that cloaks are quite troublesome to animate properly. You have to make them respond to player motion all the time and it starts eating system resources fast and big strain on physics engine. Sure you could go easy way and make them stiff, but that's not going to make anyone happy really. 

Originally posted by azmundai

Cloaks do go well with daggers. If your reffering to guild capes I find that annoying and it does tend to hide your character. I personally do not wish to see everyone running around in cheesy capes.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103

Im sure they can provide a "Hide" option just like the Helm for the Back Slot as well.

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

i was sure those are for guilds capes. 

or was it is a different place?

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• nightlurker7nightlurker7 Member UncommonPosts: 1

Not only engineers get backpacks:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Defender_Backpack