Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

T2 plagiarized by Armed Heroes Online

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

pics at link

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/17/torchlight-game-assets-plagiarized-by-chinese-developer-runic-responds/

Torchlight creators Runic Games have found themselves in a public dispute with the creators of a Armed Heroes Online, an MMO for mobile platforms that’s currently available in the Canadian Apple App Store. In a July 13 forum thread about the game on Touch Arcade, an iOS-focused gaming site, users noticed similarities between footage of Armed Heroes Online and Torchlight.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/torchlight-assets-allegedly-stolen-by-chinese-mmo/

Baldree brought the asset theft to light in an allegation posted in a forum discussion. He stated, "All of the monster assets and every dungeon tileset, as well as voices, and most sound effects, are direct rips from Torchlight... I didn't see ANY monsters that weren't ours." A side-by-side comparison of many models made by another forum member demonstrates the likenesses.

Instead of seeking monetary damages or royalties, Baldree is simply asking that Armed Heroes Online be removed from Apple's app store in Canada and not appear in the US stores.

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

WOW.  That's nuts.  I can't believe they are still denying it.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

It's absurd that they would even consider denying it.  It's almost like they are intentionally being naive.

and so begins World War 3...

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    You should change your title to T1 this has nothing to do with T2. For a minute there I thought T2 became the fastest game to be reverse engineered in the history of gaming...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

EGLS are professional trolls.  "Travis, u mad?" sums up their Joystiq response. 

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Knocking off stuff and plagerizing can only go so far.  They might be good at reverse engineering or copy pasting files then making slight changes but they still are lacking the creative spark that allowed the origional be become good enough to copy.

I take it as something that should be more flattering than anything...although after reading the article it was probably done because Runic made no attempt to make plagarizing their product difficult to do..perhaps they learned something in this process.

Anyway...perhaps soon enough china will be able to create their own unique products, and i really hope they do sooner than later, the world always needs more creative thinkers creating truley unique and new products and IP...and when that happens they too will learn what its like to have their hard earned work copied then sold at a discount with no compensation.

Also  would like to point out that its not just china that does this, but seems to be the most common place for this to happen as of late.