Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

External Hard Drive

RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Any recommendations? Looking for something very reliable that would be good for media (i.e old camcorder movies that have been converted) that I want to plug into my WD TV Live via USB.  Was considering the MyBooks but seeing alot of bad and mixed reviews.  Not about the drive itself failing but about the USB port being problematic or at time even breaking.  I guess it would need to have it's own power cord, and be around 2 to 3 TB in size.

In War - Victory.
In Peace - Vigilance.
In Death - Sacrifice.

Comments

• simonwest80simonwest80 Member Posts: 173

I have had a couple of 500gb Mybooks for 3-4 years and never really had a problem with them.  They do sleep occasionally when not in use - but never had an issue with them.

I have had them working without problems in the following situations:

1)  Plugged into the PC

2)  Plugged into a Wii

3)  Plugged into router as network drive

4)  Directly into a smart tv

5)  Plugged into an xbox

6)  Does work with a PS3 but you need the stupid folder setup - so more a PS3 issue than the HDDs

Remember most people moan on the internet and dont often say how good things are

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I use a 4 disk Synology NAS configured in RAID 5.  It's a little pricey but very reliable.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville