Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unique Races in MMOs

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

People often complain there aren't very unique races in MMOs. I sort of agree because if you look at MMO history elves and dwarves are a lot of what MMOs have for their non-human races (although I do like Guild Wars 2 races). If you could have any race in an MMO of your choosing what would it be?

I'd pick a dragon because only one MMO uses them like they should be (Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted, previously known as Horizons Online), and truthfully I don't know any other MMO that has them for a race...

Smile

Comments

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Razeekster

People often complain there aren't very unique races in MMOs. I sort of agree because if you look at MMO history elves and dwarves are a lot of what MMOs have for their non-human races (although I do like Guild Wars 2 races). If you could have any race in an MMO of your choosing what would it be?

I'd pick a dragon because only one MMO uses them like they should be (Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted, previously known as Horizons Online), and truthfully I don't know any other MMO that has them for a race...

Well, it isn't so much unique as it really hasn't been done, but I would like to play a centaur or some other non-bipedal race in a game, just for the animations.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

The typical race choices are getting stale.  EQ2 has some interesting races (along side the typical elves, dwaves and humans), I played the froglok.

Some more non-humaniod type races would be cool.  The only problem is they would need to create more textures for the gear since it wouldn't fit the same.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167

The Races I think are unique are the following...

GW2: Charr

FFXI: Mithra

Breath of Fire 3: Guardians ( not an mmo a PS1classic title) http://bof.wikia.com/wiki/Garr 

Chrono Trigger: Frog or Kaeru (again anot an mmo) http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/Frog

are some of the ones that i fondly loved in games!

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• MedsiMedsi Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I always did love the Dragons of Horizons - there just wasn't enough content to keep me playing. I may try again.

There was an old MUD based on the Xena and Hercules show's on PLAY network waaay back. I played a centaur - I remember spending a lot of time picking flower to do alchemy and struggling to pick open ornate chests... ... good times.

I agree, I'm sick of elves and dwarves and halfings/hobbits. Give me something new!
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by grimm6th

Well, it isn't so much unique as it really hasn't been done, but I would like to play a centaur or some other non-bipedal race in a game, just for the animations.

Shadowbane had birdmen, centaur, minotaurs, devilmen, and a couple other cool fantasy-related-but-not-done-to-death races.

Sadly, I think most games made nowadays have lore/backstory as a distant afterthought

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

The Zorai from Ryzom are one of the most unique races I've played, though I'll also give another nod to the Frogloks from EQ2 as well.

<3

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Need more beast-like races that develop or play differently from bi-peds. Istaria's dragons got it right.

Beyond that I don't know. I've always enjoyed Iksars/Lizardmen.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I remember making a froglok conjuror when they were freed and made playable on my server (splitpaw) and having to delete him because the hopping made me feel sick lol.Ratongas though rock! I have a Ratonga Bruiser and Necromancer :)

• ThrennieThrennie Member UncommonPosts: 107

I remember Wish were going to have a cyclops race, which I believe was playable during the beta. And not forgetting their own version of a dragon race that they were going to include on release.

Just a shame the game never made it to release.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

The Zorai from Ryzom are one of the most unique races I've played, though I'll also give another nod to the Frogloks from EQ2 as well.

Eq2 has the most diverse races IMO.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Character_Race

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Interesting discussion. Warcraft orcs were the closes I got into orcs. Has another MMO done orcs better?

The problem is, many new MMO have interesting race ideas, but due to copyrights they can't bring these races together into a single MMO. How long does it take to be able to use races from other ip in your own ip, s liar to how modern fantasy MMO use races from DnD IP which I assume is also copyrighted?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

best race in any game was the Dragon from Horizons/Istaria.  Simply because they didnt build it as a human with a skin, it was a completely different game if you played a biped or a dragon.  The crafting, the collecting the lair building etc.  

as for bipeds

I loved the Satyr, Pixie, Dryad and Sslik from Istaria, The Ratonga from EQ2, as well as all the other non-traditional races.

What I want is a playable Centaur, a remake of a Dragon, and some type of Demon type Race

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Interesting discussion. Warcraft orcs were the closes I got into orcs. Has another MMO done orcs better?

The problem is, many new MMO have interesting race ideas, but due to copyrights they can't bring these races together into a single MMO. How long does it take to be able to use races from other ip in your own ip, s liar to how modern fantasy MMO use races from DnD IP which I assume is also copyrighted?

Just about any depiction of orcs are better than wows green painted football players, WARs orcs are the best though.

And you cant copywright a race like that, all someone has to do is change it slightly and change the name.

FYI, DND didnt invent orcs, or dwarves, or numerous other races in it.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

there was a 2d turn based mmo called Myth Wars that had centaurs and it was fun. Then Myth Wars  came out and screwed centaurs and made another 2 legged race :( 

playable centaurs in a AAA mmo would be fun

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

best race in any game was the Dragon from Horizons/Istaria.  Simply because they didnt build it as a human with a skin, it was a completely different game if you played a biped or a dragon.  The crafting, the collecting the lair building etc.  

as for bipeds

I loved the Satyr, Pixie, Dryad and Sslik from Istaria, The Ratonga from EQ2, as well as all the other non-traditional races.

What I want is a playable Centaur, a remake of a Dragon, and some type of Demon type Race

That's why I enjoyed the dragons in Horizons/Istaria. That and you had to work to get them top turn into adult dragons. Once you got to the point of being able to fly with them... That was a great feeling of accomplishment.

Smile

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

hell yeah, warhammer

wow orcs are essentially "cuddly" warhammer orcs, that have females instead of being asexual alien mushroom people.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Originally posted by warmaster670

Just about any depiction of orcs are better than wows green painted football players, WARs orcs are the best though.

And you cant copywright a race like that, all someone has to do is change it slightly and change the name.

FYI, DND didnt invent orcs, or dwarves, or numerous other races in it.

Yeah WAR's orcs are my favorite.  Much better than WoW's rendition IMO. 

I really love the Skaven from Warhammer too, I love rats!  I played as a Ratonga in EQ2.  I know these aren't necessarily unique, as they are just overgrown rats, but they do stand out in a sea of humans, elves, orcs and dwarves.

I remember playing some bug-like race in another game... Asheron's Call, I believe. It was pretty cool but challenging too, which is a good thing.

Smile

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Pandas! 

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Dark Age of Camelot had probably the most unique races out there, because they drew from mythology.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Psychow

Pandas! 

Talking cows are pretty unique too.

But ... people want to play something they can relate too. Hence MOST races are humanoid with either a) minor variation, or b) combined with an animal.

Would anyone want to play an insectoid? Or a rock (like the Horta in Star Trek)? I don't.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I like Gibberlings and Arisen from Allods Online, although I also have a tingling sensation that the former were stolen from D&D and made more presentable. Arisen are interesting with their techno-undead thing.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • everlandeverland Member Posts: 71

I would try any mmorpg that has different models for different races, not just animal heads stuck into human body.

I love the frog race idea, since there is a huge variety in looks in frog world, many customization could be made. Also some race skills like high jumping, that could be only made by frogs, and adding some plot elements or treasures in high places to make frog creatures usefull in parties.

But that will never happen since it is better to spend milions of dollars into voice actiong, than put that recources into models and plot.

There was an MMO that let you play as deer. Unforunately it wasn't really an MMO. Youd didn't do anything accept run around in it. You could communicate with other players through deer gestures. It was unique but got boring fast.

Smile

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

Shadowbane had birdmen, centaur, minotaurs, devilmen, and a couple other cool fantasy-related-but-not-done-to-death races.

Sadly, I think most games made nowadays have lore/backstory as a distant afterthought

Not only that you could get runes to give you werebear, wererat, and werewolf forms.

Race selection is a huge part of character creation that is often sadly minimal. Games with great races to select from with a wide variety can only be a huge plus. It's also a massive hit to the first impressions of an MMO if all you can select from is normal human, red human and blue human. It's pathetic that the selection of player races in most MMO's is so small and lackluster.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/