Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent JRPG-style games

MagaskaweelMagaskaweel Member UncommonPosts: 35

Hey,

In my mid-teens I loved games like Lunar: Silverstar Story Complete, Star Ocean The Second Story, Alundra, FF7 and other JRPGs.

So I was wondering if there were any recent games (japanese or western) that are kind of reminiscent of the old ones. Not really interested in the new final fantasies or any new JRPGs. And PC releases obviously, cause I dont own any consoles anymore. Something along the lines of Cthulhu Saves the World but a bit more serious.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Comments

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

The only thing that comes to mind is the PC version of Last Remnant. Though I believe more disliked that than liked it. The boxed version of this is pretty cheap, at least.

I believe Steam also has an Ys release if you haven't played that.

EDIT: Misread "Not really interested in the new final fantasies or any new JRPGs."

Well, there is still Ys as that actually is an old one :P Legend of Grimrock is quite similar to old western RPGs like Lands of Lore, but not to the ones you listed.

Are you looking for mostly turn-based?

• MagaskaweelMagaskaweel Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

Are you looking for mostly turn-based?

Yeah, preferrably. I've checked Ys, it looks interesting, but was looking for something a bit more slower paced.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Ah, then I can't help as I can't think of any.

But if you don't mind actually older games and aren't just looking for new releases, can always grab DOSBox and grab a shareware copy of Albion. It's an RPG that's closest to the ones you list of that I can think of.

Kikoskia did a Let's Play of it on YouTube if you wanna check some things out of it.

Hopefully someone else will join the fray with more suggestions ^^

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Persona 4.

If you end up going the DOSbox route, go to the bethesda site and look around for the DL of the original Daggerfall, it should still be on there someplace.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

The problem is for PC you are EXTREEMLY limited in JRPG's. I personally liked The last remnant but if you do decide to try that, make sure you have a gamepad. Keyboard and mouse is supported but keymapping ect is all in gamepad.

• MagaskaweelMagaskaweel Member UncommonPosts: 35

thanks for the suggestions guys. In the end, I decided to dive head-first into an old time favourite of mine, Alundra. My original playstation still works, but I just got it on a psx emulator for convenience.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Magaskaweel

Hey,

In my mid-teens I loved games like Lunar: Silverstar Story Complete, Star Ocean The Second Story, Alundra, FF7 and other JRPGs.

So I was wondering if there were any recent games (japanese or western) that are kind of reminiscent of the old ones. Not really interested in the new final fantasies or any new JRPGs. And PC releases obviously, cause I dont own any consoles anymore. Something along the lines of Cthulhu Saves the World but a bit more serious.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I was loving that up until my cousin accidentally dropped the cd down the wooden floor and it fell inside a hole and I was never able to get it back...I finished Silver Star Story complete in japanese. Star Ocean  series were awesome as well! Gawd I miss all those games

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**