Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no micro element?

dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265

seems like blizzard games are the only ones with this mechanic in rts games.. which is why they are so good, i watched the stream thing they had.. units are slow as shit,  doesn't seem to need much micro... for an rts that sucks ass.. 

Comments

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

Well, memories are short in the world of computer gaming, but as it turns out, the speed of units and their rates of attack in End of Nations is fairly consistent with the RTSs of the past.  Go look at videos of the old Command and Conquer or Warcraft games, and you'll see unit movement and attack rates that are fairly close to what EoN has.

Why it may feel slow to us now is because Blizzard dramatically sped up the rate of movement and attack with Starcraft 2.  That has led to RTSs being much faster paced in general.

That, ironically, has not led to more micro - it's led to less.  SC2 is much less micro-intensive than WC3, which is probably the most micro-intensive RTS to date.  In SC2, you rarely see even professional players micro'ing their units, other than to avoid Banelings and to position Siege Tanks.  That's as opposed to WC3, where virtually every unit in the force would be carefully micro'ed for maximum effect.  Fewer units and a slower pace of the game leads to more micro, not less.

In other words, the slower pace of EoN should lead to more micro, not less.  You aren't just stimming your Marines and running them at the enemy; you need to pick targets and position your units just right.

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Gudrunix

Well, memories are short in the world of computer gaming, but as it turns out, the speed of units and their rates of attack in End of Nations is fairly consistent with the RTSs of the past.  Go look at videos of the old Command and Conquer or Warcraft games, and you'll see unit movement and attack rates that are fairly close to what EoN has.

Why it may feel slow to us now is because Blizzard dramatically sped up the rate of movement and attack with Starcraft 2.  That has led to RTSs being much faster paced in general.

That, ironically, has not led to more micro - it's led to less.  SC2 is much less micro-intensive than WC3, which is probably the most micro-intensive RTS to date.  In SC2, you rarely see even professional players micro'ing their units, other than to avoid Banelings and to position Siege Tanks.  That's as opposed to WC3, where virtually every unit in the force would be carefully micro'ed for maximum effect.  Fewer units and a slower pace of the game leads to more micro, not less.

In other words, the slower pace of EoN should lead to more micro, not less.  You aren't just stimming your Marines and running them at the enemy; you need to pick targets and position your units just right.

This, I prefer slower RTS games and miss them. Very glad EoN is going back to how they should be. SC2/etc is way to fast paced and I don't find it near as fun as the older SC1 or Warcraft series due to lack of micro-management and less strategy.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by MaGicBush

This, I prefer slower RTS games and miss them. Very glad EoN is going back to how they should be. SC2/etc is way to fast paced and I don't find it near as fun as the older SC1 or Warcraft series due to lack of micro-management and less strategy.

slower RTS is more of a simulation then skill... you can't kite, you can't dodge, its boring.. sc tournaments wouldn't be crazy, and skilled... sc1 has just as must micro as sc2... the hell are u talking about.. and warcraft 3 has insane micro required to be any good.....

sounds like you dont even know what your talking about

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by ricefarmer
    Originally posted by MaGicBush

slower RTS is more of a simulation then skill... you can't kite, you can't dodge, its boring.. sc tournaments wouldn't be crazy, and skilled... sc1 has just as must micro as sc2... the hell are u talking about.. and warcraft 3 has insane micro required to be any good.....

sounds like you dont even know what your talking about

SC1 was much slower paced than SC2 is what I am talking about, I got into SC1's ladder and rated well. Skill is not clicking around on the map to dodge and kite units(that can be obtained from td games), it's the overall strategy of taking resources, where to expand, what to upgrade, what to build, when to attack, when to defend, etc. SC2 turned this into a twitch game which most RTS players do not want. I tried SC2 and played if for about a month online before quitting due to the extreme fast paced/no micro management involved with that. I never mentioned Warcraft 3 but as I said older strategy games had it and meant Warcraft 3 as well.

Sounds like your reading comprehension is pretty low...

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

slower pace = more enjoyment.  played SC2 hated it, found it to boring as the game ends in less then 10minutes. 

games like EE or AoE with its slower units and game play promote more enjoyment as you arent trying to cram 2hrs of gaming in to a 10minute match. 

playing SC is like playing CiV and starting out in the future age while everyone else is stone age. there is not a lot of enjoyment in a game that claims to be an RTS that ends faster then a TF2 map.... sorry but thats just boring.

that being said. if EoN does not balance the gameplay correctly its slower pace may actually make it dull as people will take way to long to get started doing anything.  have to balance slow build up with fast action so you get the ideal level of slow - fast.