Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just have to live with the fact, this is where people are social now.

deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

Really take a look at some of the posts from "certain individuals" with 3700+ post count. They are ALL over the place, contradicting themselves, throwing out statements and opinions that have no facts in them whatsoever. Honestly back in the day if I had things to say about Rygar, or Bubble Bobble for nintendo I would chat with my friends as we were outside playing football, or baseball or basketball etc.

So people have turned to forums like this.. because they are here, and they will be heard, seen..heard?

Just something to keep in mind.. the majority of people on here post because they have nothing else to do, it gives them something and that's fine, just keep it in mind when you read it.

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Did you ever consider that many people's RL friends do not have the same interest in online gaming?

I wouldn't talk to any of my RL friends about MMOs because none of them are interested in them. They know I play, it isn't a dirty secret or anything, but the ones that do enjoy video games are mostly Xbox / Playstation players, and not MMOers.

This is a place for like minded people to discuss a topic that they are all interested in. So perhaps you should keep that in mind next time you decide to make wild assumptions.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by evilastro

Did you ever consider that many people's RL friends do not have the same interest in online gaming?

I wouldn't talk to any of my RL friends about MMOs because none of them are interested in them. They know I play, it isn't a dirty secret or anything, but the ones that do enjoy video games are mostly Xbox / Playstation players, and not MMOers.

This is a place for like minded people to discuss a topic that they are all interested in. So perhaps you should keep that in mind next time you decide to make wild assumptions.

hell none of my friends care about reading forums, let alone posting

about any topic: gaming, politics, movies, etc

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

if i understand the thread he says that people post thread like they talk on msn or with friends IRL

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

bingo!

For the most part i can only talk games with two friends and only one of them plays an mmo. WoW. And I can only talk games for so long before it becomes very apparent that the conversation will only last a few minutes.

The people here are pretty much my gaming peeps, for good or ill.

@OP: if I ever post anything that you disagree with,please feel free to point it out. I'll either argue my point or rescind it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

+1

Same here. I have like maybe one friend who I might talk to on occasion about MMO's, and the only ones he plays are F2P Asian shitpiles. But we have a mutual interest in GW2, so I'll probably talk to him at some point about it.

Aside from that, I come on here because it's a place where I KNOW everyone is interested in the same topic, and I can find people into the same games I actually like and discussing them, etc.

So OP, while what you describe is probably true for many people, another great many have lives and yet still come here. Really makes ya think. Or... no wait, it's common sense, sorry. :(

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Tonin109

if i understand the thread he says that people post thread like they talk on msn or with friends IRL

Nah he says that they are posting rubbish here just for something to do since they don't communicate in real life anymore.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Is'nt that the truth.  I'm 42 and have been an avid gamer all my life but none of my friends are.  They make fun of me for playing video games and I make fun of them for spening hundreds of dollars a year on stupid stuff like Hunting, Bowling, proffessional sporting events.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

I guess I could have elaborated on the internet demographic i was speaking of, I didn't think I needed to. I enjoy forums, hey post some drink recipes, good books I may never have heard of, your thoughts on a pc game, all that is fantastic. But my opening statement said it all.

People with 3700 posts that contradict themselves constantly, that are posting just to have something to do, or at risk of nearing the dreaded T word that lives under a bridge, posting just to piss people off or get a reaction :)

It was more of a take things you read on the internet with a grain of salt type of post anyway lol.

Nah he says that they are posting rubbish here just for something to do since they don't communicate in real life anymore.

oh ok i didnt understand like that ^_^

to the OP : its easier to talk on forum because you will see more people who have the same interest like yours

to the OP : its easier to talk on forum because you will see more people who have the same interest like yours

I agree, just me and my 2 german shepherds here right now, wasn't about talking in forums, was about spewing in them lol. NIce to meet you

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Yes, the OP seems to be trying to insult without actually being literally insulting; implying that regular posters have crappy lives and are obsessed with trying to be bold on the internet... and that what they say is of less value because of that. 

I think you will find that most people on here often keep forums up on their second monitor whilst playing a game or doing work on their computer, regularly check the forums during things like lunch breaks at work or just keep forums up in the background whilst they at doing something else, like watching TV or eating. I'm on the forums right now because I just sat down at my desk to have something to eat, like to browse while I'm eating sometimes.

I personally find that the people with the most posts usually have better things to say anyway or at least the most polite, though it's not always the case.

I really don't see what the point of this topic is in the first place.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by deamian

I agree, just me and my 2 german shepherds here right now, wasn't about talking in forums, was about spewing in them lol. NIce to meet you

i think internet is the last place where you can almost say anything , people just use that liberty the way they like

• McJaggerMcJagger Member Posts: 17

I like cheese, crackers and apple slices.  Paired with a nice bottle of chardonnay, there's nothing better!

And I really like GW2.  Played the beta and am very impatient for the launch : )

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Really take a look at some of the posts from "certain individuals" with 3700+ post count. They are ALL over the place, contradicting themselves, throwing out statements and opinions that have no facts in them whatsoever. Honestly back in the day if I had things to say about Rygar, or Bubble Bobble for nintendo I would chat with my friends as we were outside playing football, or baseball or basketball etc.

So people have turned to forums like this.. because they are here, and they will be heard, seen..heard?

Just something to keep in mind.. the majority of people on here post because they have nothing else to do, it gives them something and that's fine, just keep it in mind when you read it.

Forums are made for us people with special interests to discuss them with others with the same interests.

Sure, we can and most of us do discuss it with friends, but you get a lot more people to talk with here, people from all over the world with expperience from different games during the years.

The number of posts is not really what counts but what is in those posts and there are plenty of nice guys and gals here that write really good posts. Then of course there are some really bad and many people who have no idea what they are talking about but that happens to any forum.

I don't see the harm in discussing your interests on the net with likeminded people.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I guess I could have elaborated on the internet demographic i was speaking of, I didn't think I needed to. I enjoy forums, hey post some drink recipes, good books I may never have heard of, your thoughts on a pc game, all that is fantastic. But my opening statement said it all.

People with 3700 posts that contradict themselves constantly, that are posting just to have something to do, or at risk of nearing the dreaded T word that lives under a bridge, posting just to piss people off or get a reaction :)

It was more of a take things you read on the internet with a grain of salt type of post anyway lol.

What's up with those people with less than 3700 posts, bunch o' forum noobs I guess. image

You don't understand the finer points of FFA open world forum PVP which some of us enjoy. Those things that annoy you, time tested tactics utilized by many professional forum warriors in their day to day posting battles.

But mostly we're just bored here at work because we can't play MMO's.  image

edit: also, you do realize no one takes us seriously, not even ourselves right?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Kyleran

What's up with those people with less than 3700 posts, bunch o' forum noobs I guess. image

You don't understand the finer points of FFA open world forum PVP which some of us enjoy. Those things that annoy you, time tested tactics utilized by many professional forum warriors in their day to day posting battles.

But mostly we're just bored here at work because we can't play MMO's.  image

edit: also, you do realize no one takes us seriously, not even ourselves right?

Lols -  you're a weiner.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Moved this thread since it's kind of a meta forums thread and doesn't belong in GW2 beta impressions. It's also not limited to GW2.

So carry on over here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• bobericboberic Member Posts: 97

We are here because we have no lives...And those of us who do have lives regret the day we obtained such fleshly evils..

////////////
    function()
    {
    runescape != goodgame;
    }

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Do you fall into this category?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Only from 3pm to 4pm, but even then if I post anywhere I try to have some sort of valid point. Doesn't always work lol.