Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you prefer PvPing with or without a downed mechanic?

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by otinanai123

Again you're missing the point completely (showing my colors? You haven't played WoW?) I'm gonna focus on 4) and tell you it is not about stats but about FUN. Killing someone is fun. Getting killed (especially after a good fight) isn't fun but at least it isn't frustrating(it is over quickly. you die and then respawn). Killing, stomping, dying, getting stomped, neither of those is fun in gw2 and they are all frustrating (some more, some less). The downed state just slows the game. I can see how casual players might like it though. It makes them feel safe (especially when they stick with their teammates)

Basically you like to play rogue classes, that only dish a bunch of damage and cannot do anything but jump in someone and kill him in 1-2 seconds.

Yeah, sPvP and WvW don't work like that nor reward that play style.

Although you can use that playstyle to harrass and slow the enemy both in sPvP and WvW, just not get kills.

Killing someone and finishing them by dropping a cow or a deer on them is AWESOME FUN!

Downing someone in 1 sec and then not be able to finish them because the build is limited and didn't take in account downed mechanic and team mates must make someone feel very sily.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by albers
    Originally posted by joocheese

Its amusing that most of the people chose with and i dont understand them at all. I didint play the game, but in my opinion that down mechanics is just annoying. You have to kill your enemy and jump on it to finish the job? bullcrap. It would be ok if he couldnt cast anything. Most annoying place for pvpers will be WvW when in pvp you kill the enemy and that enemy kills random monster to get up and fight again. I would say No thank you ...

This reminds me of when President Obama made a comment about that black teacher being arrested without knowing any of the details of the situation...

If you haven't played the game and don't know what its like to down players or be downed by a player, how can you say that somethig is annoying or not. I'm not saying you can't opine without personal experience, and I appreciate it that you prefaced your comment with the clarification that you had not played the game... but still... I'm amazed at people's ability to know things without experiencing them. Wouldn't mind learning that ability, then I probably could have avoided years and years of treadmill experience in WOW.

Yes i didnt experiance it myself but i got information from other sources. Like gameplay videos, articles and stuff like that. And the thing is i am not wrong. with the example i gave you. This acctually very likely it will happen alot in WvW :)

How can an opinion be wrong or right? that's why it's an opinion, its subjective... this is obviously the opinions of people vs another set of opinions held by other people. Never did I say anyone is wrong, what I am saying though is that I disagree with other people's opinions. As to you not being wrong, you are wrong about that. In order to avoid the enemy from rallying, all you have to do is stomp on him, done deal! If you're unable to stomp on him for any reason, well... that's wvw for you! Got to be smart with regards to the fights you pick. That's the unpredictable nature of combat (including the downed state) in wvw! (notice the unpredictable part!)

Again, becuase you never played the game, your argument holds very little weight. You can speak of things that others have experienced, true enough, but people would be more willing to listen to you if you have experienced the game.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

Again you're missing the point completely (showing my colors? You haven't played WoW?) I'm gonna focus on 4) and tell you it is not about stats but about FUN. Killing someone is fun. Getting killed (especially after a good fight) isn't fun but at least it isn't frustrating(it is over quickly. you die and then respawn). Killing, stomping, dying, getting stomped, neither of those is fun in gw2 and they are all frustrating (some more, some less). The downed state just slows the game. I can see how casual players might like it though. It makes them feel safe (especially when they stick with their teammates)

See this is why im looking forward to WoW-MoP, not becuase im gonna play it (I wouldn't touch it with a set of pliers) but because it would atleast temporarily weed out people like these

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

downed mechanic adds a flavor to the game. It adds a little more depth to sPvP and more depth is usually a good thing. Trying to compare it to CoD is silly since in CoD, you are not always sure WHO has second chance and who doesn't. In guild wars 2, you know everybody has a downed state. And for me, it adds tension because if you barely won you have to ask yourself if it is worth risking being downed by attempting to finish him off or do you run and heal up and risk your opponent recovering?

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Mrlogic

See this is why im looking forward to WoW-MoP, not becuase im gonna play it (I wouldn't touch it with a set of pliers) but because it would atleast temporarily weed out people like these

Well you're wrong. I haven't played WoW since 2008 or so and don't plan on buying MoP. But still at its current state WoW pvp is slightly better.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Has nothing to do with casual. Amusing you threw that in there though. It simply adds another element players need to be aware of.

Hate it...love it...but lets leave the hilarity of trying to suggest whether someone does as showing them as being a casual or hardcore player please.

Next thing you know people will try saying this will show if someone is a carebear or not.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

I have played wow, for a little over 7 years; I quit this Feb.

If the fight was good, I don't mind dying cause I put up a good fight; I always enjoy a good battle, whether I win or lose (I obviously always prefer to win, but hey, you don't always get what you want!). in WVW, getting stomped after being defeated in battle was pretty quick, enemy players were very keen to stomp on any downed player less they find a way to rally; the process was very quick (less than 5 seconds in most cases). In no way does the downed state slow combat, it's part of the combat and a fun and unique way to finish players off.

I love the comment about casual players... is that supposed to mean that only casual players stay close to teamakes cause they're cowards? or cause they know about strategy and know when to pick their battles? As an elementalist, I was very aggressive during the betas, and got myself killed many many times; however, I also won many fights where I was outnumbered. Staying close to teamates is the smart, intelligent, and tactially speaking, the best thing to do.

Your comment about casuals staying close to their teammates cause it makes them feel safe again shows your colors... do you not understand anything about tactics or playing as a team?? I'm amazed. Have you even played GW2? Cause I'm starting to think either you haven't played at all or you just really don't get it... the concept of team work and playing as a group against other groups.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

I swear everytime I have an opinion, BadSpock says it first.....and better.....damn that goatee

You do seem overly focused on your own enjoyment over that of everyone playing, and I suspect thats the root of your problem.

So lets say you are roaming around in a sPvP match. You blind side some poor shmuck and kill him good, but he has teamates with him and you are going solo, you cannot score the final blow and retreat allowing them to rez him.

Does this upset you? They worked in tandem. They were more focused on teamwaork, and they outplayed you. Everyone like the feel of killing opponents, but if you dont work as a team to follow up you get punished.

I for one LOVE team focused games over KDR obsessive types.

Well you're wrong. I haven't played WoW since 2008 or so and don't plan on buying MoP. But still at its current state WoW pvp is slightly better.

As someone how has played both, this is just laughable

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

I also think that it slows the gameplay down and the balancing between the professions in their down states is currently off, even if they are going to keep it.

I honestly just do not see that the very small layer of strategy that it adds is worth the frustration or the lack of ability to skillfully outplay 2 people in a 2v1 scenario and still come out on top.  With the current downed system there is no way for your to win a 2v1 against just competent people let alone good ones.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Basically you like to play rogue classes, that only dish a bunch of damage and cannot do anything but jump in someone and kill him in 1-2 seconds.

Although you can use that playstyle to harrass and slow the enemy both in sPvP and WvW, just not get kills.

Killing someone and finishing them by dropping a cow or a deer on them is AWESOME FUN!

Downing someone in 1 sec and then not be able to finish them because the build is limited and didn't take in account downed mechanic and team mates must make someone feel very sily.

You got me here. I like to play rogue classes, harass, hit and run, scout, take on multiple enemies, help my team by soloing. And gw2 doesn't seem to allow that playstyle. In fact GW2 seems to force us to play a certain way to have a chance in PvP (just like WoW). I won't be surprised if each class has 1-2 viable builds in PvP a month or two after launch.

Originally posted by silvermember

Its amusing that most of the people chose with and i dont understand them at all. I didint play the game, but in my opinion that down mechanics is just annoying. You have to kill your enemy and jump on it to finish the job? bullcrap. It would be ok if he couldnt cast anything. Most annoying place for pvpers will be WvW when in pvp you kill the enemy and that enemy kills random monster to get up and fight again. I would say No thank you ...

This reminds me of when President Obama made a comment about that black teacher being arrested without knowing any of the details of the situation...

I honeslty think you could have gone with that saying this. they are much better examples that don't run the risk of turning into some  political shit don't ya think?

If I offended anyone with the commetn about President Obama that was not my intention. I was just reminded of that scene by albers comment. In life, some instances stick with you more than others, for some reason I always think of that scene with the President cause it was just so obviously and painfully clear that he had no idea what he was saying. having said that, I'll leave it at that and will try to come up with a non-political example next time.

cheers!

Originally posted by orsonstfu

I also think that it slows the gameplay down and the balancing between the professions in their down states is currently off, even if they are going to keep it.

I honestly just do not see that the very small layer of strategy that it adds is worth the frustration or the lack of ability to skillfully outplay 2 people in a 2v1 scenario and still come out on top.  With the current downed system there is no way for your to win a 2v1 against just competent people let alone good ones.

Not true, I have done it. In WVW I was able to defeat 2 players. I'm starting to wonder if any who are against the downed mechanic have even played GW2??

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I've never once felt like the downed state mechanic meant I had to kill a player twice.

I already beat them, I just have to finish them off.

To me, "killing a player twice" is like fighting a Ret paly in WoW back in the day, burst down their health, they bubble, heal to full, then you have to kill them again.

THAT is annoying as all hell.

In a 1vs1 in GW2, I've never NOT been able to finish someone off when they were downed.

What about when you fighting 2v1 and you beat one of them in unfair fight and then the guy you beat down just keeps messing with you. I dont know i dont like it.

I don't know, I won a 2vs1 on my Warrior last weekend and stomped both of them, (kind of) it felt amazing.

Some random guy on my team did come up and stomp the 2nd guy as I was stomping the first (after I got them both down and kept the first guy down while killing the 2nd guy.)

But that is just fine. I know I killed them both, my team prospered from my actions, couldn't give two shits my team mate came up and stomped the 2nd guy.

Helped me out, I was able to then move on and find the next battle a few seconds faster...

Yeah but that is just one example :) This will happen i prommise and it will be really frustrating :)

I might add that there is nothing more frustrating than getting killed by low hp target 

I love it how someone who hasn't even played the game can promise how things will go down in a game... genious!

As someone how has played both, this is just laughable

Depends on what aspects that you personally put more weight into. WoW certainly had and still has a more reactive and instantaneous combat system. You click a button in WoW or hotkey one and the ability you want to use happens at that exact moment. In guild wars 2 it has a major delay.

However, guild wars 2 is built from the ground up to be at least a 50% PvP game - so it has much better class balancing and the lack of god like healers makes it better in my eyes.

Originally posted by Purgatus

I swear everytime I have an opinion, BadSpock says it first.....and better.....damn that goatee

You do seem overly focused on your own enjoyment over that of everyone playing, and I suspect thats the root of your problem.

So lets say you are roaming around in a sPvP match. You blind side some poor shmuck and kill him good, but he has teamates with him and you are going solo, you cannot score the final blow and retreat allowing them to rez him.

Does this upset you? They worked in tandem. They were more focused on teamwaork, and they outplayed you. Everyone like the feel of killing opponents, but if you dont work as a team to follow up you get punished.

Your first problem is that you're going solo... again, this isn't WOW, this is GW2... why or why would you ever go solo, in both SPVP and in WVW.

Not true, I have done it. In WVW I was able to defeat 2 players. I'm starting to wonder if any who are against the downed mechanic have even played GW2??

You missed the most important part of the post. read the last sentence. COMPETENT. You cannot beat competent players in Numbersv1. Because competent players will lock you down and help their buddy up or toss down an ability that will rally. I beat tons of people 3v1 and 2v1 during all the betas.

Also making a stereotype against people  - who just happen to be of a different opinion. Well it makes you look like a fool, So stray away from doing that because it doesn't help your argument at all.

You got me here. I like to play rogue classes, harass, hit and run, scout, take on multiple enemies, help my team by soloing. And gw2 doesn't seem to allow that playstyle. In fact GW2 seems to force us to play a certain way to have a chance in PvP (just like WoW). I won't be surprised if each class has 1-2 viable builds in PvP a month or two after launch.

Have you played GW2? any of the betas and/or the stress tests?

Your first problem is that you're going solo... again, this isn't WOW, this is GW2... why or why would you ever go solo, in both SPVP and in WVW.

Going solo has tons of merit in WvW - someone needs to find where people are and relay enemy movement. Hell, I even send my pet off to stay somewhere just so I can have more map awareness while I am off defending or zerging.

You do not win SPVP by zerging around as a group. Solo or duo works MUUUUCH better. You split up and take multiple spots faster... or while you are sitting in a zerg caping a point. I kill your svanir or the giant solo..

You missed the most important part of the post. read the last sentence. COMPETENT. You cannot beat competent players in Numbersv1. Because competent players will lock you down and help their buddy up or toss down an ability that will rally. I beat tons of people 3v1 and 2v1 during all the betas.

Also making a stereotype against people  - who just happen to be of a different opinion. Well it makes you look like a fool, So stray away from doing that because it doesn't help your argument at all.

So you can never ever in the whole existence of time ever beat a competent player? never? even once? even just a little?

I love how you use linguistics to create closed systems and thus have a "solid" argument... And as to your last comment, you obviously didnt read what I said... "I'm starting to wonder". Not making any stereotypes, but rather wondering if people have played the game... have you?

P.S. try staying away from insulting people, it makes you look childish

You could beat 2 players. so what? that doesn't prove anything.  When the system starts matching you with players of similar skill level you will not be able to do this.

So you can never ever in the whole existence of time ever beat a competent player? never? even once? even just a little?

I love how you use linguistics to create closed systems and thus have a "solid" argument... And as to your last comment, you obviously didnt read what I said... "I'm starting to wonder". Not making any stereotypes, but rather wondering if people have played the game... have you?

Maybe once every few months when one of them is afk.

Yawn, I am gonna stop this argument here because you can't seem to find the difference between a competent player and guy who just jumped into PvP for the first time and gets himself owned with his wife at his side. So you won that 2v1... but a competent group of players you cannot.

I have beaten tons of competent players 1v1. I promise you with the downed mechanic that you will not beat competent players at anything more than a 1v1.

Going solo has tons of merit in WvW - someone needs to find where people are and relay enemy movement. Hell, I even send my pet off to stay somewhere just so I can have more map awareness while I am off defending or zerging.

You do not win SPVP by zerging around as a group. Solo or duo works MUUUUCH better. You split up and take multiple spots faster... or while you are sitting in a zerg caping a point. I kill your svanir or the giant solo..

teaming up in twos in spvp makes sense, running around alone in wvw not much, there are plenty of players running around already and you can see where fights are taking place by looking at the map... plus, you're no good to anyone alone if any groups come your way. Not a bad idea but I would do scouting differently, in groups in order to increase your chances of beating other groups if you run by them, and you have a chance at taking supply camps too.

Have you played GW2? any of the betas and/or the stress tests?

All 3 BWEs and almost all stress tests(I missed one because of a EURO2012 semifinal). Which doesn't mean I'm not still a newbie with less than 7-8 days played (and so are you)

btw are you sure you're a PvPer?