Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually dislike Pokemon?

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Many people overlook 'cutesy' games and trash them just based on aesthetics. I was over Pokemon's target demographic when it was released (I was in my late teens) and I still purchased the original Blue.

The bottom line is that Pokemon is a solid strategy game, but most people who hate on it will never realise that because they never played it properly, or are simply basing it off the subsequent cartoon series rather than the games.

I do find it ironic that WoW players would hate on it though, when WoW is full of cutesy cartoon graphics and has shallower gameplay than Pokemon.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by angzt
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1

Im pretty sure everyone understands it thats why there are people who purposely try to be different and try to get people to assimilate to their own opinions, it is also why so many people point it out. its a common concept. thats why i said what i said about pointing it out and how it makes you ( Or me currently) no different. In the end we are all just voicing our opinions on a controversial matter.

well, i didnt mean to attack the OPs here, i totaly see he just wanted to talk and i guess there was no trolling intended :P

i was just raging vs the ragers hehe... i know, so useful :)

my point exactly :P tho i wouldnt say you attacked the Op it was pretty much just raging against the rager's lol

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I loved pokemon but I dont really like the new pokemon much.  I liked the first 150 but after that it just got a bit bothersome for me.  Kind of like the Megaman Battle Network franchise.  I loved the first one but didnt really like the 2nd one that much and after that it was just same old same old to me >.<

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

I was pretty in to pokemon when it came out, and i can watch all the way up to early johto, but anything that came out after i moved on from pokemon just annoys me. I only like the first part because it reminds me of fun times when I was little and also the first few times i stayed up really late hiding under the covers to play it, and playing the game with all my friends.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

The first 150, the first TV series, the collecting card game (i used to beg for money outside walmart to buy pokemon cards xD) and the first video games were incredible.  Such a magical time in my life, but that was because I was only 7 or 8.  I only like it now because it's part of my youth.  If I didn't know what is was and was asked to watch it now, I'd be like wtf is this Asian crap.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Castillle

I loved pokemon but I dont really like the new pokemon much.  I liked the first 150 but after that it just got a bit bothersome for me.  Kind of like the Megaman Battle Network franchise.  I loved the first one but didnt really like the 2nd one that much and after that it was just same old same old to me >.<

I agree and disagree.

I mean, they have obviously run out of ideas for new pokemon. One of the new ones is an ice cream cone....

But the actual strategy of the game has improved, with held items, double teams, innate effects, better balancing etc.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

My one daughter who is now 23 watched pokemon avidly.  I tolerated it.  Now we tell pikachu jokes now and then.

But like it no, not in the least lol.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by thekid1

Never seen the show or played the games..

What I've seen in commercials and such it all seems very childish and girly to me.

But I grew up with He-man, Mask and Transformers and other cool violent scifi stuff.

I never seen the appeal in He-Man, in fact I really disliked it, watching a man run around in underwear and over the top muscles isn't appealing to me.

I watched a bit of transformers, but only to pass the time, if anything I think the movies are better than the TV shows (And I dislike the movies.)

But maybe I was just too young for them to appeal to me, I'm currently 21.

Pokemon all the way!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I dislike Pokumon.. Do I shock you?

Pokemon, Teletubbies, Power Rangers, Barney, Sesame Street Muppets...

There are some similarities in these primary-colored marketing wonders.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I was too old for pokemon, it totally passed me by, I have no idea what it is even about.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Valua

What I've seen in commercials and such it all seems very childish and girly to me.

But I grew up with He-man, Mask and Transformers and other cool violent scifi stuff.

I never seen the appeal in He-Man, in fact I really disliked it, watching a man run around in underwear and over the top muscles isn't appealing to me.

I watched a bit of transformers, but only to pass the time, if anything I think the movies are better than the TV shows (And I dislike the movies.)

Pokemon all the way!

If that guy grew up watching MASK, he-man and Transformers I'd guess he is around 30 or more like me, there is a pretty big difference in age there between us and the 80's were vastly different to the 90's to grow up in.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Originally posted by Valua

Pokemon all the way!

If that guy grew up watching MASK, he-man and Transformers I'd guess he is around 30 or more like me, there is a pretty big difference in age there between us and the 80's were vastly different to the 90's to grow up in.

I agree with that, but just because someone didn't grow up playing/watching Pokemon, or didn't like it, is that really enough to bash people who did grow up with it?

I love being a 90's baby!

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

By the time the franchise even reached EU I was already sick of jRPGs (frankly the only jRPG I actually enjoyed was FF VI) and never really seen appeal of it. Might be the fact that I'm not much of a fan of anime and asian styled animation. There is absolutely nothing in Pokemon I'd enjoy. 

Hating? Nah. Just sick of it being presented as something extraordinary. For me it feels merely average. 

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

What if you're too old to like Pokemon?  Like, if you're a certain age, people think it's creepy.  I was 22 years old when Pokemon first came to my country.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

people above 30 watching cartoons and espcially the friendly hello kitty ones are creepy and should seek immediate help.

Im trolling dont mind me I have to watch the amazing world of gumball and adventure time every day with my two year old daughter.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Too many people are thinking of the anime here. As a game Pokemon is a wonderful little RPG that featured awesome PvP if you had friends with it. I do not watch the anime's anymore because I've grown out of them, but I can still enjoy a new Pokemon game because they are just good games.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Nothing wrong with liking Pokemon.

Originally posted by VirgoThree

Too many people are thinking of the anime here. As a game Pokemon is a wonderful little RPG that featured awesome PvP if you had friends with it. I do not watch the anime's anymore because I've grown out of them, but I can still enjoy a new Pokemon game because they are just good games.

There is a Pokemon RPG? I know there was a card game.... that none of my 22-25 year old friends played.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

There is a Pokemon RPG? I know there was a card game.... that none of my 22-25 year old friends played.

Where the heck have you been the last 15 years?

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black2, White2.

And the Mystery Dungeon games. And a bunch of other games I can't remember.

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

I'm a MTG man myself! I can only point my finger and laugh at the "others" playing thier childish games as I tap out my mana to cast Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and snap gain control of target creature!

Pokemon! Hah!

Originally posted by Enigmatus

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Where the heck have you been the last 15 years?

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black2, White2.

And the Mystery Dungeon games. And a bunch of other games I can't remember.

Mostly playing Vampire and D&D, or just you know... work/college. Those are gameboy ganes, right? I owned a few handheld systems over the years, and I can say for 100% certainty that handheld games are not my thing.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

poekmons turned to crap, every game is pretty much the same, with some minor addistions and tweaks, yet it gets by while games like CoD will get slammed for the same thing, not to mention the fact the they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas, you know youve gone downhill when you are making pokemon out of garbage bags and ice cream cones.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Worked at a game store during the hight of the Pokemon craze. I'm kind of impressed it's still going strong with the kids even today. I'm 31 and played the heck out of my Pokemon Red for Gameboy. It was a fun game but I'm not really a fan of the whole franchise.

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174

I like how most of the posts bashing Pokemon are talking about the anime when the OP didn't even mention it. The anime is garbage I agree on that.

The games are pretty fun, although I haven't played one in quite a while. Pokemon Blue was probably the first RPG I've ever played and I can still enjoy it till this day if I ever picked it up again. Now, I just think they've completely milked the franchise.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

The games haven't been very good since the second generation. After Gold and Silver they just stopped innovating.