Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population caps

vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

From my experience with PS1 each map has a population cap that would prevent you from entering combat until there was room.  PS2 will be f2p allowing anyone to enter and the devs have stated there will be 3 continents with 2k pop caps each.  My only apprehension about playing this game will be whether or not I get to play.  I used to hate sitting in the teleportation bubble pressing against the barrier with a bunch of other people waiting to get my turn to play.  Have they stated how they will handle this in light of no sub?  Will there be a way to pay for priority?  I would not drop a dime on the cash shop if I had to wait like I used to in the original game (and it had a box price +sub).

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Comments

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

Well several things.

First the netcoding has improved greatly since the original PS1, and 99% of the games out there can handle more people per zone than they could 4 years ago, let alone 7 or 8 years ago.    I remember most games were limited to 64 people in an area due to the code.  

So much crap, so little quality.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Hodo

Well several things.

First the netcoding has improved greatly since the original PS1, and 99% of the games out there can handle more people per zone than they could 4 years ago, let alone 7 or 8 years ago.    I remember most games were limited to 64 people in an area due to the code.  

Planetside 1 was well ahead of its time. This is the only FPS game (that I know of) that truly had hundreds of players in an open world enviournment.

It is a VERY valid concern that the current caps will cause problems to sit in queue waiting to get into the game. This is a true MMOFPS, unlike the other games that claim to be an MMO, but cap at 64 people or such.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Well several things.

How much as the level of detail of the environement and characters and effects increased?  Now how much has the z-buffering increased?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Will PS2 have some sort of subscription plan ? I could imagine queuing benefits being granted to subbed players. There's nothing P2W about that, and it's something I'd definitely pay for.

If the game ends up being very popular, a server cap (even if it's 2000) may mean you cannot get onto the server where your outfit is playing. That wouldn't be very good.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Superman0X

Well several things.

Planetside 1 was well ahead of its time. This is the only FPS game (that I know of) that truly had hundreds of players in an open world enviournment.

It is a VERY valid concern that the current caps will cause problems to sit in queue waiting to get into the game. This is a true MMOFPS, unlike the other games that claim to be an MMO, but cap at 64 people or such.

No you missunderstand me.  Lets take WWII Online for example.  It was a MMOFPS, but due to the style of coding it used for its network communication if more than 64 individual clients were with in so far of each other the network would start dropping the highest pings as they were considered latent.   The players would see other players "popping" in and out of their vision.  

This was common in several games it wasnt a true server limitation but a limitation in the code of the the time.   Other games used a network code that aloud up to 128.     Now with advances in gaming tech, and network communications protocols, you can actually get a ton more information through the same bandwidth then what you used to 10 years ago.

So much crap, so little quality.