Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valve boss Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a 'catastrophe'

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well," said Mr Newell.

"Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

"We've been a free rider, and we've been able to benefit from everything that went into PCs and the internet," he told the conference. "And we have to continue to figure out how there will be open platforms."

"There's a strong temptation to close the platform," he said, "because they look at what they can accomplish when they limit the competitors' access to the platform, and they say, 'That's really exciting.'"

This is seen by commentators to be a reference to the inclusion of a Windows Store in the Microsoft operating system.

This is a shop through which users will be able to buy apps for their Windows 8 device.

On some versions of Windows 8, it will be the only way to get downloadable software such as games.

Microsoft takes a cut, up to 30%, of every sale made through this store."

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I'll wait with the doom and gloom until the OS is actually released, regardless of its current state

Microsoft has already lost a number of "up the samme alley" lawsuits forcing them to make changes to their previous OS titles

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I've tried it both times when they released the beta (beta + consumer preview), the CS was slightly better but I still don't plan on buying it, it's too clunky and unintuitive without a touchscreen.

Atm I see W8 as a downgrade instead of upgrade on my PC, the task manager is slightly improved, it boots maybe 2 seconds faster, outside of that I didn't notice anything, metro doesn't interest me, it's clumsy on a desktop, and W8 doesn't have a start button, sue me but it's really handy in W7. (some people argue metro is now a form of start button, but it's slow and disorienting to go in and out of metro to desktop)

Gabe's argument is different, he doesn't like the marketplace store in W8 basically, since MS asks a 30% cut for one, and because it's obviously going to compete against Steam's store.

People are quick to call him out on that, in a way he is protecting his own business, but that doesn't mean he's wrong. If all software sales go through MS, and MS wants a 30% cut, prices of games are going to go up quite a bit. After a certain amount of sales the cut MS wants goes down to 25% I believe (or 20, I forgot), but it's still a higher cut than Steam asks I think, not to mention that downloading a game directly might become a thing of the past with W8.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Im not worried about windows 8.  For us desktop users, itll be just like Windows ME or Vista.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Originally posted by Castillle

Im not worried about windows 8.  For us desktop users, itll be just like Windows ME or Vista.

Good ole ME, that OS taught me how to install an Operating System, and reinstall, again and again and again!

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Yeah, Ive used both the Windows 8 Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview extensively and I have to agree that at the end of the day it's going to be a PR nightmare for Microsoft much worse than ME or Vista. Under the hood Windows 8 is much better than Windows 7 at resource management but that is far outweighed by their instistance on forcing the Metro Interface on traditional Keyboard and Mouse users. This is all the average Joe computer user is going to see.

People don't like to be pushed out of their comfort zone when it comes to technology and Windows 8 isn't just going to push them out it's going to shove them violently out of that comfort zone. The average PC user is very used to the traditional Desktop with a Start Menu... It's what they have been using happily since Windows 95. To rip that away and make them "Learn Windows all over again" is a monumental mistake on Microsoft's part. People I know in the Tech community are bracing for the coming shit storm when computers start hitting the shelves with W8 preinstalled. In the traditional PC markets the impending fiasco is going to be far worse than ME and Vista was combined.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well," said Mr Newell.

If linux ran the games I play I would have a Microsoft free household tommorow.

Watching Microsoft flounder as it tries to get into the mobile and tablet market is comical.  They have lost their ability to innovate and have been coasting on their laurels for over a decade.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

MS going the apple route with their apps is really disappointing.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Blizzard executive chimed in.

Blizzard exec echoes 'Windows 8 catastrophe' comments

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/360383/blizzard-exec-echoes-windows-8-catastrophe-comments/

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Valvelol.