Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IGN gives TSW 7 / 10

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/26/the-secret-world-review

I personally agree with this review. my own personal score is 7.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

I don't agree about the graphics/ sound score. The rest is fair.

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

compared IGN's another mmorpg rewiews I dissagree

they score  sound 7/10...it should be 10/10

they score graphic 7/10 shoul be 10/10

they score gameplay 7/10 should be 8/10,personal 9/10

they score presentation 8/10 should be 9/10

they score lasting appeal  6/10...should be 8/10....personal 9/10

i dislike in TSW  ; cut scenes & voice acting(  devs should stop with that crap in MMORPG's) , PvP(tryed & still trying  find some fun but it is  bad

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

Agree with the overall score but strongly disagree on the graphics score.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

As a current TSW player I agree with this review.  It has been a long time since I have agreed with one of their reviews, but this one actually seems unbiased and fair.  The author does a good job explaining their reasoning.  I would agree that if I was more of a Cthulu and RP person that the lasting apeal (for me) would be higher, but since I am neither, 6/10 is about right (for me).

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by JosephJR

i dislike in TSW  ; cut scenes & voice acting(  devs should stop with that crap in MMORPG's) , PvP(tryed & still trying  find some fun but it is  bad

I would overall agree with 7/10 based on my limited 3 BWE experiences..

Would give graphics and sound 8/10

But lasting appeal 3/10

I still think reviews are coming to early these days..

Playing GW2..

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

For some reason I thought this was a TOR thread...

Oh IGN, you are so silly!

They gave TOR a 9/10, so TSW must be terrible!

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I've come to the conclusion a long while ago that for the most part I could care less about game reviews from sites.  I would much rather ask people I trust or better yet, play myself and form my own opinion.  I understand the need for reviews from sites but ultimately its me who is th emoast important reviewer of any game I play.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Aww, dammit! I can't find the tread about the extremely positive IGN preview that TSW fanboys were praising. I tried to warn them... "you can't spell ignorance without..."

[mod edit]

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I think it is more than fair although I do agree with the others here that graphics should be higher than 7.0

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Nah i just dont think Funcom paid IGN to say their game was good.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Alot

[mod edit]

Defend what? Wtf are you talking about? 7.0 is a good score. Hence why it even shows it as being good.

Not sure what your point is.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Just working off of the BWEs that would have been my score as well, 7/10. I didn't purchase the game but will play if and when it goes F2P. I would have probably purchased it if a.) I hadn't waisted my money on Tera b.) GW2 wasn't so close to releasing. A 7/10 game isn't worth buying when I can just wait a few more weeks. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

[mod edit]

Defend what? Wtf are you talking about? 7.0 is a good score. Hence why it even shows it as being good.

I'm not sure if you have been following the official TSW forums, but every reviewer that gives a score <8 gets torn apart by TSW fanboys. They will consider this review to be an attempt at bashing TSW. Now, this soon-to-be-torn-apart review is special, because it's from IGN, and about a month ago IGN made a VERY positive preview for TSW. It was so positive that people expected IGN's final score for TSW to be around 9 or so.

I, however, was telling people not to have too much faith in IGN. And after that the entire thread turned on me because I was obviously just a GW2 fanboy bashing TSW and IGN because they liked TSW (or seemed to like).

[mod edit]

I'm not sure if you have been following the official TSW forums, but every reviewer that gives a score <8 gets torn apart by TSW fanboys. They will consider this review to be an attempt at bashing TSW. Now, this soon-to-be-torn-apart review is special, because it's from IGN, and about a month ago IGN made a VERY positive preview for TSW. It was so positive that people expected IGN's final score for TSW to be around 9 or so.

I, however, was telling people not to have too much faith in IGN. And after that the entire thread turned on me because I was obviously just a GW2 fanboy bashing TSW and IGN because they liked TSW (or seemed to like).

[mod edit]

Well...they're silly if they do. Not like they trashed it and it was a fair review. Quite frankly most times these mmos are overrated anyways. Which does no one any good and builds rather unrealistic expectations for many that simply go off of those reviews and then experience the game for themselves.

I remember there was one here that slammed the Gamespot review, but after seeing replies from others conceded that the review was rather fair after all.

I think the problem is since some mmos got such outlandish and overinflated scores in the past those that are stalwart fans of a game expect the same treatment for theirs.

Whatever the reason some may want to give for it seems to me for once a major site was fairly objective in their overeall consensus of an mmo. Not sure how the hell that happened for once. XD

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Just for the sake of comparison this is what IGN did with SWTOR:

9.0 Presentation
    The dialogue and story is why you should want to play The Old Republic, and it’s presented excellently. The UI needs much more flexibility though.
    8.5 Graphics
    It won’t push your machine very hard, but the style is consistent and recognizably Star Wars.
    10 Sound
    Voice acting is superb throughout, the orchestral sound-track slips in and out effortlessly, and everything from blasters to alien-babble is pure Star Wars.
    9.0 Gameplay
    PvP is brilliant, and the branching story is wonderfully complex. Classes are well-designed. A little quest variety wouldn’t go astray, though.
    9.5 Lasting Appeal
    Hundreds of hours of content at launch for just a single character. Playing new ones reveals a wealth more.

IGN credibility score = 0 image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Funny how real people think the game is a 8-9.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I think it was a fair review. The biggest annoyance for me has been the bugs. I've had quests that I simply couldn't do and a couple that are still broken even after talking to a CSR.  I'm still having an issue with not being able to click on items in my inventory and lately I've had trouble of being kicked off because of a lost connection. I also don't like not being able to reset my skill points. Yes I know, I can eventually fill out the wheel, but I do get tired of repeating content just to expiriment. I really don't see the problem of offering a respect like other games do and don't know why Funcom is being so stubborn about it. The voice overs are just one sided conversations and not very engaging since your character doesn't speak. 

For the most part I do like the game. The worlds feel alive and open, the skill wheel offers more diversity than other games do and I just love the complexity of everything. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Different reviewer

TSW by Nathan Grayson

SWtor by Nick Kolan

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by Iselin

Just for the sake of comparison this is what IGN did with SWTOR:

9.0 Presentation
    The dialogue and story is why you should want to play The Old Republic, and it’s presented excellently. The UI needs much more flexibility though.
    8.5 Graphics
    It won’t push your machine very hard, but the style is consistent and recognizably Star Wars.
    10 Sound
    Voice acting is superb throughout, the orchestral sound-track slips in and out effortlessly, and everything from blasters to alien-babble is pure Star Wars.
    9.0 Gameplay
    PvP is brilliant, and the branching story is wonderfully complex. Classes are well-designed. A little quest variety wouldn’t go astray, though.
    9.5 Lasting Appeal
    Hundreds of hours of content at launch for just a single character. Playing new ones reveals a wealth more.

IGN credibility score = 0 image

lmao.

QFT

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by bcbully

Funny how real people think the game is a 8-9.

If you think Metacritic user ratings = real people, you sir are confused.

Metacritic user ratings are the biggest pile of crap on the planet - so easily skewed and manipulated, they are about as accurate of a judge as polling about gay marriage at an Evangelical church.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

My response is of course purely opinion. However I cannot help but think that your grading system is more along the lines of heavily biased unless of course you can give us a really good reason why you give TSW almost all high ratings. IGN's score is fair if not a little too kind.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

The reason why TSW people get so upset with a 7 is because most of the gaming community thinks the game is a 8-9. 

Really though the more I play the more I understand why some would say it's a seven. TSW is a tough game with no guide rails to how you build your character. The smartest, best mmo players can and certainly will gimp themselves a few times along the way.  If you want to be challenged, TSW is the game for you. EvE is too, but that game made me cry sooo... If this is not what you are looking for the learning curve in TSW will surley take some points of your score.

say my name 2 times and on the third I shall appear image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Sounds and Graphics are top notch.

longevity is where it hurts and replayability.... and the esports pvp but thats the same as 99% of the MMOs out there.

Ide give it an 8/10 overall if I was comparing it to the other crap on the market.

Ide give it a 5/10 overall if it was based on what im looking for and expect PERSONALLY out of a 2012 mmo.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by dlld

Different reviewer

TSW by Nathan Grayson

SWtor by Nick Kolan

Oh... you mean it isn't an IGN review then? It's a Nathan Whatsit (whoever the f... he is) review? Change the title of the thread!

SWTOR lasting appeal: 9.5... "brilliant PVP" ...I'm still laughing.

The sound in TSW is so, so good that I always look at that first in any review. Anyone giving it less than 9, looses credibility right then and there with me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

My response is of course purely opinion. However I cannot help but think that your grading system is more along the lines of heavily biased unless of course you can give us a really good reason why you give TSW almost all high ratings. IGN's score is fair if not a little too kind.

I have to add that saying TSW's graphic score should be a 10/10 is just screaming biased fan. Funcom themselves have admitted the character animations and other misc graphics things need improving and they are working on it.

To say TSW's graphics are perfect and 10/10 seems downright silly to me.