Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

tera and gw2 combined = best mmo on market

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Snoepie

to me gw2 made a mistake with the combat system.

It is just horrible..

Also they should have sticked with classes and not let ever class/race go dps/heal/support/tank

Now lets combine the tera online combat system with gw2.

Gw2 WvWvW

Tera online combat system + class defined(more teamplay)

I think we have a winner here..

No thanks. I hate the rigid and boring classes in TERA.

The freedom to actually have very different specs and playstyles within a class in GW2 is very appealing to me.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Doubt I would be interested in it. Can't say TERA  interests me in the least. Probably one of the few games..actually think the only game I ever gave away my beta access to.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71

I played both Tera and GW 2 but I have to say GW2 Combat is more dynamic than Tera cause of the damn rooting especially when playing a sorc on Tera it was just run, stop, fireball repeat and then the other attacks i also had to stop to cast them and in GW 2 im constantly move around dodging and casting spells on the fly.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I played Tera for 1 month and the combat is great but GW2 combat is better.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I on the other hand only like the Tera combat. I find it difficult to go from Tera to other games.

If GW2 had that type of combat (or the elderscrolls mmo?) I would be a very happy individual. Ah, but it doesn't. C'est la vie.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    The combat in gw2 is miles ahead of tera's. Gw2 actually feel actiony whereas tera feels like standard mmo combat plus aiming.
  • trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

OP everyone is entitled to their opinion however, I disagree with yours. I feel that the combat mechanics in GW2 are just fine. There are some bleed over mechanics in GW2 that you find in Tera which make the game more interesting (dodging). I wouldn't go as far as saying GW2 is perfection at its best but they have implemented features that will assist with game flow.

I played in a Tera beta and one thing that was kind of a shocker to me is that everyone started in the same area. I mean come on at least provide unique starting areas for each race. Take away the action based combat (which in my book wasn't all that great) and you have your traditional MMO with equal to less flair than everything else on the market. The gem that seperates GW2 in the PvE environment are the events. I was a sceptic at first but it does take your mind of the grind which is occurring behind the scenes.

In all honesty I'm not sure GW2 needs to take anything from Tera to make itself a better game.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

OP - No, No, and a little more NO.

Tera combat is awful - aiming means nothing cause anyone who has ever played any FPS ever will have no problem as the reticle and hit box are so big per character - this aint precision work here people.

The dodge/block mechanics are extremely inferior to that of GW2's dodge / block mechanics.

Classes in Tera are weapon locked - you get ONE weapon set per class - completely lame.

Animations lock in TERA versus almost completely free-form movement in GW2 while using skills.

GW2 > TERA combat in every.single.way.

Unless of course you still like the Holy Trinity of tank/heal/dps and like skill-less tank n' spank "whack a mole" healing combat...

In Tera, who wins a big PvP fight - the people with more healers? Yes, every time.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm in the club that doesn't think Tera's combat was all that special.  But then I disliked the game in general, the ability to aim attacks is not going to save it.  I felt like I was playing a slightly modified, prettier version of Vindictus.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Tera's combat wouldn't work with GW2. It would require too much limitations on the existing skills... it would break things. For example, mesmers. Mesmer illusions require a target. There are plenty of skills in GW2 you can simply fire off without a target, but not all of them and many of them are key.

The last thing we'd need would be adding back the archaic trinity model. The entire game is built around there being no set roles, you'd have to regut the game and start mostly from scratch if you added the trinity back. You'd kill it by stabbing it at the very heart of what makes GW2 combat so great imo.

Teras combat is great for Tera. GW2s combat is great for GW2. Tera combat would not work in GW2... but I'm not so sure GW2 combat wouldn't work in Tera...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

I strongly disagree. The rooting in place in Tera is terrible and I don't like the classes and their set roles that much. GW2 combat feels much more dynamic to me because you can cast everything on the move and I feel much more variety in class specs and viable ways to play them in GW2.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

I prefer GW2 combat for reasons mostly already mentioned - no root, more dynamic roles, overall a more fluid and active combat.

However, the one thing I'd want from TERA is being able to target all my spells manually. I know it can currently be done to an extent with casting when holding down right click - but I can't get the feeling of where that fireball is heading. Give me a targeting reticle and let me aim the non-ground targetable spells like that in GW2 and I'd be perfectly happy. :)

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I'd add a dash of The Secret World to that because I just love how they're doing the 'stumble upon' quests, the depth of investigation missions and the amount of interaction with the world.

Overall combat, I love the way it is in GW2 - don't care much for Tera at all tbh.  The only thing it has is perhaps some very sharp graphics (fidelity) which at times has impressed me, and the mounts/flight that I'd just love, personally.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Agreed about the combat system.

Teras combat mechanics are far superior in comparison (for example the tactical elements (stoping when casting) or the aiming). Ultimately Gw2s combat system is the same as most other themeparks on the market with the difference of a dodge now and then.

Teras combat + GW2 pve / pvp would be such a winner.

That doesn't mean that I will not play Gw2 (I preordered). It just means that I am not so blind to the fact that every game has strengths and weaknesses and that includes both Tera and Gw2.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Inf666
    It just means that I am not so blind to the fact that every game has strengths and weaknesses and that includes both Tera and Gw2.

Just a hint... people prefering GW2 combat to Tera combat doesn't mean they are blind or anything... it just means they may have different tastes than you do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just because I prefer chocolate ice cream doesn't mean I'm too blind to acknowledge the greatness of vanilla ;-)

Ultimately Gw2s combat system is the same as most other themeparks on the market with the difference of a dodge now and then.

And this makes me really wonder if we have been playing the same game... if anything, Tera is much closer to the typical MMORPG combat with it's "holy trinity" than GW2 will ever be.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Teras combat mechanics are far superior in comparison (for example the tactical elements (stoping when casting) or the aiming). Ultimately Gw2s combat system is the same as most other themeparks on the market with the difference of a dodge now and then.

That doesn't mean that I will not play Gw2 (I preordered). It just means that I am not so blind to the fact that every game has strengths and weaknesses and that includes both Tera and Gw2.

how so? I'm curious as to how you feel its so similar to say wow

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43

Tera woulb be epic with a diff quest system,kill x this and that wont do anymore its overated 

it has great graphics (probably the best an mmo can offer to date until archeage is out)

best combat system make pvp awesome but even here pvp is useless u dont gain anything...the pvp is  there just to be there

awesome dungeons mechanics

If tera had a system like gw2 it would be awesome

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well granted we ignore some symantics, I do really agree with this. Gw2 combat system is quite... clunky... to say the least. Its not the worst but I really don't feel fully in control with my character. I don't really get the satisfying feeling either with hitting something. The biggest issue is people don't like a combat system that has a 'penalty' behind what you do, people are just wanting mindless button mashing which ends up lessening the skill in playing and taking out some strategic elements behind it. People don't like Tera's combat system just because people don't like being 'penalized' for not acting in a smart manor and having to suffer at times greatly for it.

Lets just go about and admit Tera pretty much has nothing minus the combat system which is amazing. Combining that in GW2 would make leveling far more fun. Still the issue comes that it would eventually tire out of the disguised quest system and likely it would need a bit more umph. While GW2 promotes more class diversity in how it can be played, it feels like it really lacks that class element at all. I just don't feel that satisfied with a class like other RPGs do. Sure its maybe more personal preference but I'm the type that likes a more solid class structure.

If you further refine Tera combat a bit more (make it a little quicker perhaps and add in a few more elements of 'joy') and then expand upon GW2 and really give it more content and a stick for that carrot to give you something to actually achieve, I think it would make an amazing game.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

how so? I'm curious as to how you feel its so similar to say wow

I played WoW a long LONG time ago, so I may be not remembering correctly. The problem is the tab targetting. It makes the combat become static and somehow constricted. You mark your enemy, then proceed to go through your usual skill chains (as ranged even blindly). In most cases running around does nothing because targeted skills cannot be dodged. So usually a player just stands there, dodges the occasional AOE (big circle on the ground), spams what he has and waits until some bar gets down to 0.

PvP should be different: very fluid. You need to be able to change targets very fast and often. Tab targetting does not allow for this, real aiming does. Homing skills remove movement from the game. How it should be: If the attacker has no aiming skills (reaction time, hand eye coordination) and the defender has good movement skills (dodging at the right time, using environment to his advantage), then the defender should get 0 damage no matter what the attacker does. Anything else and the player does not really influence the fight.

So when I look at GW2 and at Wow, I see two tab targetting games with homing skills. The PvP result is defined by character strength and not player strength. Tera has no targetting and only a few homing skills. You have far more options for movement there. It is also more tactical because you have to think about your combat moves. Rooting is a risk vs reward mechanic. Does the reward of using spell x now outweigh the risk of getting rooted now? Tell me where you have to do that in Gw2.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

I dont agree with that at all, the combat system is good as it is.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

There are no "homing" skills in GW2 - no projectile follows its target like in other games, all projectiles can be avoided / dodged.

Also, if you turn off auto targetting, you can play GW2 without tab targetting - it works, no skill require you to have a target, you can even spam them in the middle of nowhere with no enemy around.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

to me gw2 made a mistake with the combat system.

It is just horrible..

Also they should have sticked with classes and not let ever class/race go dps/heal/support/tank

Now lets combine the tera online combat system with gw2.

Gw2 WvWvW

Tera online combat system + class defined(more teamplay)

Personally I think Teras combat is the worst in any game i've played in years....people rant against TSW's combat but I think Teras are ten times worse.  Any time my character is forced to root itself...espoecially as a melee to swing my weapon is pure and utter fail.

I love GW2's combat because of its fluidity and depth.  Nothign compares.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I played WoW a long LONG time ago, so I may be not remembering correctly. The problem is the tab targetting. It makes the combat become static and somehow constricted. You mark your enemy, then proceed to go through your usual skill chains (as ranged even blindly). In most cases running around does nothing because targeted skills cannot be dodged. So usually a player just stands there, dodges the occasional AOE (big circle on the ground), spams what he has and waits until some bar gets down to 0.

PvP should be different: very fluid. You need to be able to change targets very fast and often. Tab targetting does not allow for this, real aiming does. Homing skills remove movement from the game. How it should be: If the attacker has no aiming skills and the defender has good movement skills, then the defender should get 0 damage no matter what the attacker does. Anything else and the player does not really influence the fight.

So when I look at GW2 and at Wow, I see two tab targetting games with homing skills. The PvP result is defined by character strength and not player strength. Tera has no targetting and only a few homing skills. You have far more options for movement there. It is also more tactical because you have to think about your combat moves. Rooting is a risk vs reward mechanic. Does the reward of using spell x now outweigh the risk of getting rooted now? Tell me where you have to do that in Gw2.

Hi. Have you played GW2? At all?

I can only think of 2? Homing skills, one is a hand of death the necro summons and chases players around. The other is a slow-moving floating orb the guardians summon.

You also are aware that GW2 has a dodge mechanic. Right? Absolutely everything can be dodged. With the doge button.

Tab targetting doesn't allow you to change targets fast and often? You can aim faster than a split second? Tab targetting is instantaneous...

I'm honestly confused by which game you think were playing.

- On to the OP, combining GW2 with TERA would be the worst MMO ever made. Why? Because GW2's core designed is based around not doing nearly everything TERA has. The entire design manifesto for GW2 is the anti-TERA. Even just swapping out GW2's classes for TERA's classes would result in a reinstated holy trinity, which would effectively add back in all the player competition GW2 is trying to avoid.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I disagree.

I thought Tera had a horrible combat system. Especially how every ability locks you in place to activate. It suffers from the typical Asian failuriffic animations that ruin the fluidity of combat.

GW2 combat feels way more fluid and realistic to me. Tera is going to be free to play in no time, I mean, it already failed in Asia ... it is not going to do well here either.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

I prefer gw2 combat to tera's..i always had that stuck in the mud feeling while playing tera. in gw2 im free to move while in combat.