Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW PvP - Can't stand the heat get out the kitchen.

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Like the dungeons and the quest, TSW PVP is hard. 

You don't get to make mistakes over and over again like in your standard mmo pvp. You're not gonna get out there and start swing your sword and have any type of win. You must learn. The people who are not willing to learn will come to the forums and cry about OP this and OP that.  There is no I win build every build has and will continue to be countered.

Just because the game let's you doesn't mean you can run around as a glass cannon. When I say pvp is hard, I mean the learning curve is step similar to the pvp learning curve in EVE. Any game where you can have a range of 1900 HP with 4k attack or 14k hp with 0 attack and everything inbetween, you're gonna have people who just don't get it. Yes you can and will gimp yourself. Some embrace the challenge, some don't. 

The flexibility in what YOU can do is unmatched by any other mmo with the exception of maybe the likes of EvE. So if you want to play a game where you can just pick up and roll TSW is not for you.

If you want to play a game where you spend a week crafting your perfect build, only to find out it's not quite perfect, then spend another week of tweeking and THINKING and tweeking and the WHAM, jockpot your in love. Come give TSW pvp a try.

Now that being said there are abilities that flat out do too much. To much dmg. to much healing, too much mitigation, or maybe even a combination (made by the player) of these things. Twenty-two days, 525 abilities, I'll let it slide.. for now. The neat thing that's coming out of this is that people are adjusting. I'm seeing new builds every day. TSW allows for this. Very sandboxy. But yes I've been pissed many of times too. 

The one style of batle ground is not enough as well. I've went as far as to call them mosh pits. The ability wheel is too good to be caged in by this style of battle ground.

When you put learning curve, style of map, and the unforgiving vastness of the ability wheel together, your gonna get some frustrated and upset people. Investigation mission anyone? Arg?

Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I used a blade/fist build, I took my sword and just started swinging and I won.

Favorite bit, dying, respawning and jumping right back in with AoE sword swinging. Upsets all the kids who think tactics and strategy matter when faced with someone who doesn't care about win/loss ratio that isn't tracked anyway, thank Odin!

TSW PvP is frantic mad rush vs frantic mad rush. Exhaustive fun. 

Shotgun, close range stun is nice too, they think because you carry a gun, you won't just dive straight in and go insane. But I do :P

• Ash23NeuroAsh23Neuro Member Posts: 13

Thats what I use for Fusang at the moment http://tinyurl.com/cgfgjpq (which is constantly changing btw). I very often change pasives dependly to a situation. For example when I see hudge enemy zerg I put as many afiction and chain atacks as I can. I can aply mass hinder by "Stop the advance" flowed by "Demolition, Man" pasive and treat them with "Supresive fire" followed by "Shoot them up" folowed by "Molecular exploitation" combined with "Criticaly". Ocean of posibilities.

1v1 I use "Red mist" (it sometimes ends here if glass cannon or "Live Wire" is up), "Hip shot" from distance as builder, "Touchdown!" + "Beatdown" + "Haymaker" (it often ends here) finishing with "Three round burst" and thats it (if not tank). Awesome game. If you can't defeat some build you can become one yourself.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    While I agree there is no need for balance whine.

The main problem with tsw pvp is the persistent pvp area has rules that suit dip in dip out carebear token farmers. It's not designed for pvpers constantly pvping, its just a tool so loot whores can gear up for raids, and gear up faster by deliberately not pvping.
  • Ash23NeuroAsh23Neuro Member Posts: 13

It is like this at the moment but game is out not a month yet. I guess (You can read a lot opinions like Yours) they will add more flavour to PvP. I read Ragnar monthly SotG and he said something about PvP dungeon comming soon (fall I think). Three faction conflict has such a big potential that it needs to be developed more and more.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

It's still a _balance_ problem if 90% of the PvPers are using the same ability/weapon.

Even though the game doesn't require perfect balance, every weapon should have atleast few great PvP skills.

If they went and said AR/* is the best PvP setup and we are not going to change that, it would ruin the variety in PvP and that would make it more like playing a counter-strike match than a mmorpg.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Comparable to EVE online you say?

i may have to give this game a second look then.  I love the depth and learning curve involved in EVE.  How unlike some games players go for weeks, months, or years without having full mastery over all aspects of PVP in that game.  maybe not even then.

interesting.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

"Taste the meat, not the heat!"

-Strickland

I find the game is a great pve experience, but the pvp is lacking in balance, variety, and purpose.  It is one of the game's weaker points in my opinion, but does not make it a bad game at all.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by sfc1971

Favorite bit, dying, respawning and jumping right back in with AoE sword swinging. Upsets all the kids who think tactics and strategy matter when faced with someone who doesn't care about win/loss ratio that isn't tracked anyway, thank Odin!

Shotgun, close range stun is nice too, they think because you carry a gun, you won't just dive straight in and go insane. But I do :P

Wins losses and kills are tracked on TSW Chronicles. Hmmm.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/

Leader boards

it's early sorry if I misunderstood.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by bcbully

Leader boards

You can make your profile private...

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Leader boards

You can make your profile private...

Yeah I'm gonna finish my coffee. Feels like I came in on a conversation :)

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Comparable to EVE online you say?

i may have to give this game a second look then.  I love the depth and learning curve involved in EVE.  How unlike some games players go for weeks, months, or years without having full mastery over all aspects of PVP in that game.  maybe not even then.

interesting.

3 months in and I still go to bed thinking about builds.... I'm not dreaming abot them anymore though, this is a good thing ;)

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Honestly I kinda thought PvP in this game was a joke. The persistant zone I was never able to find enemy players in (though this could have changed since I played last) and stone henge I would just faceroll my keys and do top damage / kills. I really think Funcom is not good at PvP at this point lol. AO and AOC were the same way with really poor balance or bad gameplay in PvP.

Originally posted by Celcius

Honestly I kinda thought PvP in this game is a joke. The persistant zone I was never able to find enemy players in (though this could have changed since I played last) and stone henge I would just faceroll my keys and do top damage / kills. I really think Funcom is not good at PvP at this point lol. AO and AOC were the same way with really poor balance or bad gameplay in PvP.

Yeah you must have only played closed beta months ago. Fusang constantly has 125+ people. Stonehenge didn't even pop in closed beta back then either.

Honestly I kinda thought PvP in this game is a joke. The persistant zone I was never able to find enemy players in (though this could have changed since I played last) and stone henge I would just faceroll my keys and do top damage / kills. I really think Funcom is not good at PvP at this point lol. AO and AOC were the same way with really poor balance or bad gameplay in PvP.

Yeah you must have only played closed beta months ago. Fusang constantly has 125+ people. Stonehenge didn't even pop in closed beta back then either.

I have not been in Fusang lately. But on Leviathon it was pretty much dead all the time. Maybe thats the server, but it doesnt matter because it needs to be active on every server for PvP not to be a joke in some regard. And I played last a few days ago. The pvp just is not very tactical. Its like WoW pvp but with very little CC. Only having a limited number of abilities also hurts the strategy involved. The combat in TSW always felt like something inbetween SWTOR and GW2 without being nearly as good as either game, but in PvP it is far worse. People die way too quickly as well, I would usually throw out a thors hammer and some other ability (forgot name) on someone and it would nearly two shot them. Compelling PvP requires you to last a bit.

Right now its just whoever gets off the first big attack without it being resisted, wins.

I have not been in Fusang lately. But on Leviathon it was pretty much dead all the time. 

You do know that Leviathon is a RP sever that was added about 2 weeks ago right? My guess is that pvp may not be their thing... lol

Have you played since CB honestly? It doesn't sound like it. Forgive me for saying so, but it really doesn't.

I have not been in Fusang lately. But on Leviathon it was pretty much dead all the time. 

You do know that Leviathon is a RP sever that was added about 2 weeks ago right? My guess is that pvp may not be their thing... lol

Have you played since CB honestly? It doesn't sound like it. Forgive me for saying so, but it really doesn't.

Accusing me of not playing is not a good way to defend the poor state of PvP in TSW. Everyone knows the combat is not good, that is pretty much a given. Attacks are poorly animated, it feels like you are floating in the game world, and the combat mechanic (combo points) is not very compelling. The strong point of TSW is the story. The skill system is great too, but when people hit 100% they won't have a reason to play anymore. Eventually it will become a raiding game, but until then the game needs alot of work. I don't think it is a bad game, but as of this moment, PvP is the weakest point of the game. The AH will only speed up the progression through the game, since it will be VERY easy to get the best gear just using that.  I actually think the game is better off without it, but I think it will make people complete the content faster and quit faster.

I kinda feel sorry for the people who bought a lifetime sub, but I kinda think they don't deserve that too. The game is clearly going to be F2P eventually and it seems to me like the sub right now is more of a cash grab while they can get away with it. The cash shop is already there, so they just need to add a few F2P restrictions (inventory space,limited auctions,maybe less pvp access) and they are good to go.

Also picking a newer server should not have a negative impact on my gameplay experience. Saying "oh lol thats a new server of coarse there is no world pvp" is a poor attitude to have. What this tells me is that Funcom already dropped the ball on creating too many servers and there will be server mergers even sooner then we expect. Claiming that an RP server has less PvP then a regular one shows your ignorance. They do not even enforce RPing in 90% of MMOs and you go there more for the community. I am not an RPer myself, but thats usually how it goes if you pick an RP server. 

Accusing me of not playing is not a good way to defend the poor state of PvP in TSW. Everyone knows the combat is not good, that is pretty much a given. Attacks are poorly animated, it feels like you are floating in the game world, and the combat mechanic (combo points) is not very compelling. The strong point of TSW is the story. The skill system is great too, but when people hit 100% they won't have a reason to play anymore. Eventually it will become a raiding game, but until then the game needs alot of work. I don't think it is a bad game, but as of this moment, PvP is the weakest point of the game. The AH will only speed up the progression through the game, since it will be VERY easy to get the best gear just using that.  I actually think the game is better off without it, but I think it will make people complete the content faster and quit faster.

I kinda feel sorry for the people who bought a lifetime sub, but I kinda think they don't deserve that too. The game is clearly going to be F2P eventually and it seems to me like the sub right now is more of a cash grab while they can get away with it. The cash shop is already there, so they just need to add a few F2P restrictions (inventory space,limited auctions,maybe less pvp access) and they are good to go.

Also picking a newer server should not have a negative impact on my gameplay experience. Saying "oh lol thats a new server of coarse there is no world pvp" is a poor attitude to have. What this tells me is that Funcom already dropped the ball on creating too many servers and there will be server mergers even sooner then we expect.

Ok man. If you say you played I'll leave it at that. 

As the OP states PvP in TSW is hard. It's not for everyone. Have a good day. 

Yep and I am arguing that point. I think TSW is actually one of the easier PvP games. Especially since it is even easier to go to the forums and find a build since all you really need to do is spam your abilities to win. (You just have to make sure you are spamming first so you have the advantage) The most compelling strategy in TSW is LoSing people. Thats not...very compelling.

• XXXNemesis3XXXXNemesis3X Member Posts: 13

That's funny since, We have fans trying to prove PvP in TSW is really hard without any revelant info. Even if a MMORPG have 525 abilities, it doesn't make PvP harder, it just make it more unbalanced than anything else. While on the other hand, Celcius fight these people and just show them the reality in the face. I don't have any problem with it, but the problem come when you try to bring people into this game when PvP isn't what TSW is...

I didn't play The Secret world, but I watched enought videos to approve what Celcius is saying. It looks more like who is the luckiest person that will get the big number first win.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Well it is somewhat comparable to EvE in that it's blob vs blob.

The largest blob always wins lol

I will also go as far to say that playing a "healer" in PvP within TWS is prob the most challenging thing I have done in a mmo in a LONG time. It's very challenging.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by XXXNemesis3X

That's funny since, We have fans trying to prove PvP in TSW is really hard without any revelant info. Even if a MMORPG have 525 abilities, it doesn't make PvP harder, it just make it more unbalanced than anything else. While on the other hand, Celcius fight these people and just show them the reality in the face. I don't have any problem with it, but the problem come when you try to bring people into this game when PvP isn't what TSW is...

I didn't play The Secret world, but I watched enought videos to approve what Celcius is saying. It looks more like who is the luckiest person that will get the big number first win.

The only people I see complaining are the ones who cannot adapt and think their one build should work for everything. To the point that they refuse to try anything else and just QQ on forums about others being OP.

GW has a ton of abilities that synergize with each other and other players and it is one of the best pvp centric games out there.

You know, TSW and GW seem to be similiar that way. Both allow you to make a variety of builds based on the skills you have and allow you to change to counter the FOTM builds. The only limiting factor is the player behind the keyboard.

Same goes for pve, all the QQ is people limiting their choices and complaining Superman build #1 doesn't work for everything.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Krytycal

[mod edit]

Thats pvp in every MMO on the market. Even Guildwars.

Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Originally posted by Krytycal

[mod edit]

Thats pvp in every MMO on the market. Even Guildwars.

Maybe GW1. Lol, not even close with GW2. If you just spam your abilities in that game and people start moving behind you / losing you / dodging you will just miss and waste the cooldowns. That alone is already far better then every other MMO out there in terms of skill. PvP in GW (and GW2) also does not revolve around gearing up. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Must explain why one of my cabal mates logged a conversation like this in chat

"excuse me, but I'm new to the PVP in TSW and can anyone tell me if there's a reason why everyone is hitting me for like 800 hps of damage and I'm hiting for like 30."

No one responded.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

I don't mind the heat in the kitchen but the reason why i got out of ktchen is because kitchen is boring and has awful design.