Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mists of Pandaria / Guild Wars 2

2»

Comments

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

If Blizz waited this long to launch MoP, they might just wait for the holiday season and go in November. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Cinatrot
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If Blizzard are clever, they'll launch MOP around October or November.

By then, there'll be plenty of people who bought GW2 that have reached L80 and realised that they actually miss not having a progression gear grind at endgame. Those people will also have had a payday or 2 since buying GW2, so they'll have some cash to spend. They'll be bored and ripe for the picking...

http://us.battle.net/en/int?r=wow

They're not.

9/25/12

Whooo... almost exactly 1 month after GW2 launches ?

That's brutal.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Cinatrot

If Blizzard are clever, they'll launch MOP around October or November.

By then, there'll be plenty of people who bought GW2 that have reached L80 and realised that they actually miss not having a progression gear grind at endgame. Those people will also have had a payday or 2 since buying GW2, so they'll have some cash to spend. They'll be bored and ripe for the picking...

http://us.battle.net/en/int?r=wow

They're not.

9/25/12

Whooo... almost exactly 1 month after GW2 launches ?

That's brutal.

Why?

If Gw2 hooks people, it will only hurt WoW

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

It could be fine, but it could be a massacre.   (For GW2, that is)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

I guess the proof is in the pudding.

It will be interesting to watch. 1 month after GW2 release could be a blessing or it could be a curse.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by Istavaan

MOP will be the lowest selling wow expansion. I can't understand why someone would buy it, it's the bloody same as all the other..i found that out after buying 2 expansions. nothing new just more raiding and instanced pvp.

Agreed, that's why my wife and I (and three other friends) quit. I canceled my sub in Feb '12, my wife canceled her's on Mar '12; my other friends canceled theirs late last year.

Unlike Cata (which was a poor expansion), MoP is borderline insulting; kung fu panda w/ pokemon fights... give me a break! Blizzard has lost either all motivation (and creativity) with wow or they just don't care anymore.

WOW is not a failure, it has ruled the mmo world (in regards to sub numbers) for a good number of years now. But WOW is in decline and it is fast being left behind the curve in regards to inovation, creativity, story, and pretty much everything else. I do not expect GW2 to unseat WOW, but if it does, I would not be surprised; the mmo gaming world is in desperate need of something new and good!

People need to remember that well over half of all of WOW's subs are in Asia (China mainly); WOW has approx 3-4 mil subs in NA and EU combined. WOW players in Asia have a dif sub model than WOW players in NA and EU. If MoP is not able to substantially in long term incraese sub numbers, I predict that by next year WOW will be a B2P/F2P game. WOW is continuously bleeding subs. In economic terms, I would say WOW is in a recession, and if it's not able to change that around (which I don't think it will), then it will enter a depression; which will be when it becomes a B2P/F2P game (think SWTOR).

The fact that Vivendi is selling Blizzard does not necessarily mean that Blizzard is tanking, since Blizzard has general autonomy in regards to game development and management. It's no secret that Vivendi itself has been struggling with questionable investments and the EU economic crisis is also not helping. Having said that however, selling Blizzard may indicate that Vivendi no longer believes Blizzard will be profitable enough to sustain Vivendi's shortfalls. When is the best time to sell? When the product you intend to sell is not going to make anymore money for you (by keeping it) and when it's still worth enough money that you end up walking out with a profit.

You don't sell your dairy cow for meat unless you know it's not producing enough milk to make a profit for you. Not saying Blizzard (or WOW) is a cow, but I think you get my point :-)

Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

I guess the proof is in the pudding.

It will be interesting to watch. 1 month after GW2 release could be a blessing or it could be a curse.

Yup... time will tell. Blizzard has enough of a playerbase that they could sell anything and most of their playerbase will buy it without question. I don't think their playebase is a strong as it was in the past, but it's still strong. Though MoP will prob sell well (in general terms) It hink it will be WOW's worst selling expansion.

As for GW2, if enough people like the game and GW2 is doing well then it will prob bode ill for MoP. If, however, GW2 does not live up to reasonable hype (not the crazys) then it will bode very will for GW2 and very well for MoP.

I guess we'll just have sit and wait and see what happens.

P.S. I'm betting that GW2 will do well and MoP will not do as well. I guess its half hope and half prediction haha.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

GW2 will attract a differient audience than GW2 will.  Blizz even said that WoW will be for players that like the gear grinding which is why they say Titan won't directly compete with WoW.  And really GW2 will be the perfect MMO for those of get bored of WoW between patches after content is drained.

But I agree with others saying that MoP will be their lowest sales of expansions.  WoW finally now has serious competition unlike before, GW2 and TSW being the major competition.  The market is the healthiest it's ever been now.

Originally posted by Ambros123

GW2 will attract a differient audience than GW2 will.  Blizz even said that WoW will be for players that like the gear grinding which is why they say Titan won't directly compete with WoW.  And really GW2 will be the perfect MMO for those of get bored of WoW between patches after content is drained.

But I agree with others saying that MoP will be their lowest sales of expansions.  WoW finally now has serious competition unlike before, GW2 and TSW being the major competition.  The market is the healthiest it's ever been now.

I assume you meant "MoP".

As to your frist paragraph, I find it interesting that Blizzard itself recognizes that the WOW model is not longer viable; if it was then Titan most likely would follow the same paradigm.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

The fact that GW2 is a single purchase with no costs for subs would suggest that it won't affect any other MMO you might subscribe to, except for time spent playing it. As for MoP's release date, I can't see it changing due to GW 2's release.

I very much agree with ths.  Guild Wars 2 was designed to fit in with subscription games, not compete with them. 

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

I am here everyday, and I have yet to see much fanboi rage over MoP, and how it will be the greatest thing Blizz has ever done. I think most of the Blizz loyalists know it will be just more of the same with a fat cuddly new char to play. I watched the same thing happen to UO. The more expansions that moved away from the original game play, the less tolerant its playerbase became. There does not need to be a WoW killer, the gaming community is patiently waiting for Blizz to cut its own wrists, and personally I think it is already sitting in the tub, water running, shick in hand.

Let us not forget that Blizz did the smartest thing it could do to keep its numbers up not just a few months ago. The gave away free Diablo 3 for a year sub. This locked in WoW sub numbers for at least a year, and they made sure that nothing they made killed their baby numbers wise for that time.

Will GW2 kill WoW subs? Doubtful

Will MoP kill GW2? Doubtful

Blizz has become WoWs worst enemy and there are games coming that will fill the void, and do it well.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

Originally posted by kzaske
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

The fact that GW2 is a single purchase with no costs for subs would suggest that it won't affect any other MMO you might subscribe to, except for time spent playing it. As for MoP's release date, I can't see it changing due to GW 2's release.

I very much agree with ths.  Guild Wars 2 was designed to fit in with subscription games, not compete with them. 

except that people only have so much time on their hands (those of us with jobs that is).

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

My son and several family friends that play WoW still, will be buying GW2 and Mists of Pandaria. There's no reason not to have both if you like them both. With GW2 not having a sub fee it makes it perfect to play alongside your monthly sub game or any other B2P games. It's 2012, we don't have to stick with just one game to play at a time ya know? I'll be playing GW2 and Planetside 2 myself.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by nyxxis

I am here everyday, and I have yet to see much fanboi rage over MoP, and how it will be the greatest thing Blizz has ever done. I think most of the Blizz loyalists know it will be just more of the same with a fat cuddly new char to play. I watched the same thing happen to UO. The more expansions that moved away from the original game play, the less tolerant its playerbase became. There does not need to be a WoW killer, the gaming community is patiently waiting for Blizz to cut its own wrists, and personally I think it is already sitting in the tub, water running, shick in hand.

Let us not forget that Blizz did the smartest thing it could do to keep its numbers up not just a few months ago. The gave away free Diablo 3 for a year sub. This locked in WoW sub numbers for at least a year, and they made sure that nothing they made killed their baby numbers wise for that time.

Will GW2 kill WoW subs? Doubtful

Will MoP kill GW2? Doubtful

Blizz has become WoWs worst enemy and there are games coming that will fill the void, and do it well.

Agreed. Only Blizzard can kill WOW and they're doing a great job at it.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

so MOP has release date 25.9. ... it would make sense if gw2 would be game with subs, to get ppl back after free month, but if gw2 gets good start this can more hurt MOP than help, imo Blizz marketing department made mistake with this release date.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

I was excited about MoP as, in my opinion, brings the most innovation to WoW since forever.

Starting from new endgame option that do not limit to Raids or PvP, going from new phasing advancements built on Firelands, so giving you your own slice of world WITHOUT kicking your friends away.

Pet battles, sure. Also innovation, at least in MMOs and something that sounds like they put some effort into it.

PvE Scenarios, finally some more group content without being a raid.

Dungeon challenges and so on.

No, you might notice I do not give a fig about parallel with "Kung Fu Panda" or Pokemon. I do not care where they get their inspirations, I just care about the final results and if the final systems are fun to play, period.

That being said, not removing anything from MoP, that I tried and liked.... I also tried Guild Wars 2 Beta Week end and it is another world, another planet, a complete new level of existence.

I'll be buying GW2.

I do not know if I will buy MoP anymore.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296

Blizzard have never been innovators. Just masters of feature cannablism.