Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$29.99 is a bit much dont you think?

According to what I read, and someone correct me if I am wrong here, but the new expansion will be $29.99.

So lets see if I got this straight. No space zone, smaller world then the main planets, and about 50 quests total. All for $29.99 right?

JTL had space zones for every planet plus 2 extra. 4 new professions, and 2 new races plus JTL itself. It cost $29.99 at release.

RotW had one world, one space zone, a few new items, mounts, vehicles etc. Also $29.99 if you bought it seperately.

And now Trials of Obi Wan which will be DD. Seem to you all they are making their expansions smaller and smaller and still keeping the same price?

Whats next? "Announcing the new Attack of the Box expansion. That's right. We will be adding a box. In the Theed Palace. And all for the low low price of $29.99."

Kai

Comments

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

First impression, yes it seems overpriced.  Although its only about £17, with the US to UK exchange rate.  So can't really complain here.

Is it overpriced?  We'll only know when more details of what it contains are released.  Remember not a lot of information is availble at the moment, just a brief summary (marketing details aside).

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924
    just dont buy it.  I didn't buy any of the expansions.
  • BeaNo999BeaNo999 Member UncommonPosts: 63

As said £17 pound isn't alot. Most expansions usually cost around £15 so it isn't ridiculously overpriced.

Won't be getting it though.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Just wait for the 'Total Total Experience' pack to come out. ::::31::

Doesn't EQ2 have a decreased price point for it's smaller expansions? I thought that was a good idea on SOE's part.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Although it is no strange price for an expansion, I get the feeling that the content won't be large enough to justify the price. Since I love completing quests, however, I'll buy it anyway.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Depends on what all is included.  They've only given a few details as of yet.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by TookyG

A planet half as big as one of the main planets, about 50 quests, NO new space zone, NO new JTL stuff, a new vehicle, a new force crystal (thats my favorite. like saying "if you havent gone jedi you better hurry), and HK. That is about it from what I gleaned on the main forums and announcements.

I am really beginning to think they are hurting for money more then I first suspected. Because this is the tactic of a desperate company looking to get even a minor pay off.

Kai

Originally posted by kaibigan34

A planet half as big as one of the main planets, about 50 quests, NO new space zone, NO new JTL stuff, a new vehicle, a new force crystal (thats my favorite. like saying "if you havent gone jedi you better hurry), and HK. That is about it from what I gleaned on the main forums and announcements.

I am really beginning to think they are hurting for money more then I first suspected. Because this is the tactic of a desperate company looking to get even a minor pay off.

Kai

Exactly, not much detail.  Do you know how involved those quest will be? No.  Is a planet 50% the size of the existing ones an issue?  No, as the others are way to big anyway.   Just places for housing, harvestors and factories.

BTW, you missed out there is going to be a reason to revisit.  That could be huge or small, we don't know.

How about whining about the expantion when its actually out or at least after beta has started (and some leaks have taken place).  At least then you may or may not have an excuse.

• _kryptonic__kryptonic_ Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by IcoGames

Just wait for the 'Total Total Experience' pack to come out. ::::31::
    Doesn't EQ2 have a decreased price point for it's smaller expansions? I thought that was a good idea on SOE's part.

Yes give it 2 weeks and the Total Toal Experience will be out   image
  • fablesidefableside Member Posts: 18
    $29.99 aint a bad price for us british .... ive cancelled my account but may come abck if this ends up good and brings loads of jedi content  *crosses fingers and hopes for premium drops and frs*

Kai

Boy you hit it right on the head SOE is very desperate to stay afloat. image

From what you've "gleaned" is what's been stated, doesn't mean everything has been stated.  Besides, $29.99 is fine if there's incentive to visit frequently...which is also something I "gleaned" from the devs.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

*yawns*

It's worth whatever the unwashed masses are willing to fork over for it. Assuming SOE is hurting for money is silly... They're the only profitable sub-corp of Sony Entertainment.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Expansions = SOE . Before SOE if somone said expansion then I knew that someone was going to get screwed real well but it was all fake ( in the endimage ).   Somethings never change.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Um no offense folks. But UO was doing 'expansions' before SOE ever released Kunark. Expansions started with UO and SOE just kind of took the idea and ran with it. Personally I think that expansions should be free but that's just me. Basically they will continue to CHARGE for expansions as long as people keep paying for them.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by Elnator

Um no offense folks. But UO was doing 'expansions' before SOE ever released Kunark. Expansions started with UO and SOE just kind of took the idea and ran with it. Personally I think that expansions should be free but that's just me. Basically they will continue to CHARGE for expansions as long as people keep paying for them.

Look at EQ2 and their expansions. How much was the last one that was DD? Splitpaw? $7.99. And the DD for SWG is $29. Something dont smell right.

Kai

Look at EQ2 and their expansions. How much was the last one that was DD? Splitpaw? $7.99. And the DD for SWG is $29. Something dont smell right.
    Kai

Those weren't expansions.  They were adventure packs, basically they're a new dungeon with a few cool new things added in and they charge for it because it's in addition to what they add in during regular patches.

The Desert of Flames expansion for EQ2 is a full expansion and costs $25 or $30.

Originally posted by Elnator

Kai

Aside from Splitpaw wasn't an expantion, it was a content patch.  Just like when they added the Corvette, Geo Labs, DWB, Warren, etc to SWG.  Which oddly enough were free, in SWG case.

Desert of Flames is EQ2 only expantion and guess what, its $29.99 and DD.

Anyway, some more infomation has been release in the Friday feature (part 2). Part 3 is next week.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=ep3expansion&message.id=34451&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

dont forget this is were over good quality crystals an pearls will be gotten from now on
    i mean hey why jus fix drops when you can put it in a exp an pump another 29$ outta you. ::::07::

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

Originally posted by grapevine

Aside from Splitpaw wasn't an expantion, it was a content patch. 

Explain, again...the difference?

In the case of EQ2, they released the game with minimal content in comparison to it's father.

Then, instead of adding the content as time went by on the agreement that, let's face it the players have already paid for it and continue to do so, they instead release these "minor expansions" and charge the players for them.

Considering the fact that EVERYTHING in EQ revolves around the Guild, then everyone in the guild must have the same content patches, or the Guild fails to raid properly, its purpose in Everquest.

Essentially, you are forced to buy into one expansion after the other just to play the game the way it was designed.

It's the ultimate expression of extortion! That is exactly what EQ2 amounts to.

In my opinion, anybody that is buying into this extortion is nothing more than foolishly wasting their money on a less than adequate product, that has ALREADY faced numerous extortions, and a combat upgrade that (what's the odds) everybody hated because it over-nerfed them.

Unfortunately, in the case of SOE, their management is more interested in the box-bux than the quality of play that the sophisticated MMO player is seeking. As a result, they fail to impress not only in game play content, but in the attitude they have toward their own customer base.

To them, the customers are there to be completely stripped of their cash money and given inadequate, unbalanced, and shallow game play in return. EQ-2 as a result will NEVER see itself in the light of truly innovative 3rd gen MMO design. It is merely a revenue generator, nothing more.

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

They did it in EQ, why not SWG? Expansions instead of content patches sounds like a good way to maximize profit ::::20::.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

Wepps, its just down to the scale of what is being added.

I agree with your thoughts on EQ2.  I to feel it verging on extortion, unless you have a Station Pass.  I bought the game when it first game out and it was apparent it wasn't finished, content wise.  Hence why they initially piled on the free patches.  I still play btw, just not very often as I get bored with it quick. 

These adventure packs should have been free to all, just like the dungeons in SWG were.  I really hope they don't start applying this money making scheme to SWG.  Actually come to think of it they are adding a new (revamped) themepark to SWG soon anyway (can't remeber the her name, Jabba's enemy) and I believe its a free publish.

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

Valerian?

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

Originally posted by Wepps

Valerian?

That's the one.