Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Edgar Allen Poe Meets Animal Crossing

Comments

• rikarus92rikarus92 Member Posts: 15

25 by 25^2? Didn't know Salem was in 4 dimensions! Neat!

• GlubbyGlubby Member Posts: 85

I hate to break it to everyone excited for this but sadly this game is going to be terrible.

Although it is in beta still it is a complete and utter mess. I'm talking about missing content completely, buggy mess, no beta testers playing past the first days and a Developement team that has a agenda of their own accord and listen to no player feedback.

There is no skillcap what so ever which means the good players constantly get better and will just destroy any noobies trying to get into this game.

There's no way anyone is going to buy any coins or special items on this became when perma death is in with unlimited skill capped characters.

Paradox is going to completely lose out on this in the end, it's just amazing this is still running.

• maccajnrmaccajnr Member UncommonPosts: 84

So what do we keep or lose with Permadeath? The article says we keep our belonging, but what about the rest:

- skils

- friendlist

- character name

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Your character dies so you loose all your sklls thats for sure otherwise its not perma death..

I think ill give this a try but im gonna find it really hard to get around those stupid stupid character models..

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Glubby

I hate to break it to everyone excited for this but sadly this game is going to be terrible.

Although it is in beta still it is a complete and utter mess. I'm talking about missing content completely, buggy mess, no beta testers playing past the first days and a Developement team that has a agenda of their own accord and listen to no player feedback.

There is no skillcap what so ever which means the good players constantly get better and will just destroy any noobies trying to get into this game.

There's no way anyone is going to buy any coins or special items on this became when perma death is in with unlimited skill capped characters.

Paradox is going to completely lose out on this in the end, it's just amazing this is still running.

but those people who have been playing longer can still die and loose everything.. unlimited skil lcap does not atter in a perma death game..

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I stopped following this game (from a tester point of view), i'm not sure they are on the right developing path.

The main feature which made the game interesting from that 'non pew pew" sandbox  point of view is gone, since they took away quality on item and resources (progression system sustaining all the crafting/gathering aspect of the game). Yet they keep teeth and claw their moronic unlimited fighting progression which create stupid gap between players (the only crafting progression is on cooking material that boost stat for the pew pew guy). So it's really a counter productive development i witness and just stopped playing this, until they back up on those decisions i won't show up again.

I also had a bad experience with the exploration because the great concept of the darkness is in fact linked with your fighting power progression (raw player stat, which was supposed to be limited by crating quality) which make this whole aspect of the game the hiding scene for ganker rather than enable peacefully player to hide from those guys if they want to do so. in fact it let those guys make their dark activity without ever being caught (the tracking criminal aspect is rendered very hard in the darkness, and make that whole aspect collapse in the huge favor of pker/destroyers). tracking should have been fixed no broken even fruther. So every ganker with ubber stat and skill hide in there and no way you can go teach them a lesson unless you are part of this community. Once more great concept, poor implementation, well implementation having the opposite effect i wish it had for a sandbox aiming to be "the crafter sandbox" as they advertise it.

They effectively broke their game and concept from my point of view. I'm very sad because their last game and concept was really one of the best in the sandbox scene since it had his own progression system for the "builder" like players, and they just totally ruined this. Sorry to make such a bad report to you guys, that's not something i really like doing i wish i had great news instead, their last game was very good, and their new concepts have great potential, but maybe it will wake up the development team. But for now it just goes the wrong way.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Enjoyed Haven and Hearth for a few weeks, if this is F2P I would give it a try.

For those asking about what you keep upon death- in HnH there was a progression slider.  You could opt for faster skill advancement and more risk, or slower to minimal advancement but you keep more of your skill points if you die.  It takes a while to increment the slider from one end to the other due to a long cooldown after nudging it.

• joemezcaljoemezcal Member UncommonPosts: 20

It's Edgar Allan Poe.

Originally posted by Zooce Enjoyed Haven and Hearth for a few weeks, if this is F2P I would give it a try. For those asking about what you keep upon death- in HnH there was a progression slider.  You could opt for faster skill advancement and more risk, or slower to minimal advancement but you keep more of your skill points if you die.  It takes a while to increment the slider from one end to the other due to a long cooldown after nudging it.

Yes that was a good thing, but it really never worked because the game had no cap on stat and skills, and the diminishing return on raw damage was almost non existent, a guy with 600 point would do the double damage on someone with 300, so you need to reach stupid skill/stat numbers to be able to even defend yourself from random pkers amassing stat from the beginning of a the world. Nobody from my knowledge used the slow progression path because of this, you got so much more advantage from raising your stat the fastest you can, even if you had to do it again because you died, it was really a race on stat, even for non combat oriented players. This is those kind of stuff i wish they actually was working on fixing.

What kept you playing after your first perma death was the fact your second alt was inheriting all your first char had, home, items, which was supposed to be a lot more important than your stat/skill. The thing is, some people was running around with huge amount of stat and skill (macroers mostly) which made this false because they could kill you with a simple punch on the face and kick your settlement defenses with a hammer, which you obviously couldn't let it be, hence the race for stat even on a cooking character. And since people now know how it work this became even more true in this new game Salem, you got people reaching stupid amount of stat in the first month, objects and home mean nothing in salem, even less than in H&H, stats and skill do it all now. See my description of the Darkness on my post up.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

For "Quarter 3 2012" there's next to no news/info about the game and its features..

Premise and features are interesting, but everything with it is very hush hush almost..

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

It needs better art style. The rest looks fine and fun.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Glubby

The "skill"(actually called humors in the game) that decides damage has a cap which is at the point where the decay in gluttony mode becomes equal to the gain from food. 

Originally posted by Requiamer

I stopped following this game (from a tester point of view), i'm not sure they are on the right developing path.

The main feature which made the game interesting from that 'non pew pew" sandbox  point of view is gone, since they took away quality on item and resources (progression system sustaining all the crafting/gathering aspect of the game). Yet they keep teeth and claw their moronic unlimited fighting progression which create stupid gap between players (the only crafting progression is on cooking material that boost stat for the pew pew guy). So it's really a counter productive development i witness and just stopped playing this, until they back up on those decisions i won't show up again.

I also had a bad experience with the exploration because the great concept of the darkness is in fact linked with your fighting power progression (raw player stat, which was supposed to be limited by crating quality) which make this whole aspect of the game the hiding scene for ganker rather than enable peacefully player to hide from those guys if they want to do so. in fact it let those guys make their dark activity without ever being caught (the tracking criminal aspect is rendered very hard in the darkness, and make that whole aspect collapse in the huge favor of pker/destroyers). tracking should have been fixed no broken even fruther. So every ganker with ubber stat and skill hide in there and no way you can go teach them a lesson unless you are part of this community. Once more great concept, poor implementation, well implementation having the opposite effect i wish it had for a sandbox aiming to be "the crafter sandbox" as they advertise it.

They effectively broke their game and concept from my point of view. I'm very sad because their last game and concept was really one of the best in the sandbox scene since it had his own progression system for the "builder" like players, and they just totally ruined this. Sorry to make such a bad report to you guys, that's not something i really like doing i wish i had great news instead, their last game was very good, and their new concepts have great potential, but maybe it will wake up the development team. But for now it just goes the wrong way.

It is not unlimited combat progression, it has a cap like I mentioned above. 

The "quality system" is still there for farming and it is one of their main priorities to introduce quality-raising in other aspects of the game as well.

• TriMoonTriMoon Member UncommonPosts: 57

The writer of the article clearly has some wrong assumptions, most notably is the fact he states that this is a "Browser Based" game which is straight-out incorrect because its client based although written in Java....

Feel free to browse for real info at Salem Wiki

Well thats all for now, 3M

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Closed Beta. Missing features should be expected...

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

The "quality system" is still there for farming and it is one of their main priorities to introduce quality-raising in other aspects of the game as well.

skills are skills, humors are stat. There is no cap since you can raise the food quality from farming, and food is what is used to raise humors or stat (best quality food raise the cap), and this is exactly what i was pointing and you are denying.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Yeah I can TOTALLY see how Poe fans and pvp fans would want to spend their day interacting with a cartoon. Makes total sense.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

skills are skills, humors are stat. There is no cap since you can raise the food quality from farming, and food is what is used to raise humors or stat (best quality food raise the cap), and this is exactly what i was pointing and you are denying.

Even if you somehow magically reach 10.0 purity multiplier, which is the cap on how high the "quality bonus" can go, you still have a cap on how high humors you can get, which is where the decay is as fast as the gain from food through gluttony.

234, the cap, if there is any, is ridiculously high and the gap between player is ridiculous as well, it is even bigger than it used to be in H&H when everyone from their last game pointed this as one of the main problem.

In any case it doens't take away anything i said about the state of the game, i was talking about a general development path, picking one debatable exemple won't do anything good here for the game. As you pointed yourself they maintained a single progressionpath that is linked mainly with combat aspects, yet they took away the rest.

I will just wait to see some change happening personally. Now do you think it is good or not, actually it is probably a personal opinion, i think it is bad, you can think it is good it really depend on what kind of experience you are looking for when playing this game.

234, the cap, if there is any, is ridiculously high and the gap between player is ridiculous as well, it is even bigger than it used to be in H&H when everyone from their last game pointed this as one of the main problem.

In any case it doens't take away anything i said about the state of the game, i was talking about a general development path, picking one debatable exemple won't do anything good here for the game. As you pointed yourself they maintained a single progressionpath that is linked mainly with combat aspects, yet they took away the rest.

I will just wait to see some change happening personally. Now do you think it is good or not, actually it is probably a personal opinion, i think it is bad, you can think it is good it really depend on what kind of experience you are looking for when playing this game.

There is a significant difference in power between veterans and new players, yes. New players have no chance of defeating or killing a veteran. The best they can do is to be very paranoid and  tell one of the  "friendly" veterans to enact revenge. There have been multiple suggestions left to try to remedy this problem and is indeed a problem. I hope the devs implements a solution that makes it far more undesirable to kill newbies just for the fun of it.

Currently newbie-killing happens very rarely, but that is simply because of the good-will of the players and the game can't rely on that.

Among veterans, the gap is rather small due to the tremendous amount of work required to grow humors once you reach 70+ humors. 

Currently, any village can create protection that takes many hours for the enemies to go through. This is protecting both developed criminals and lawful players. 

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Yeah I can TOTALLY see how Poe fans and pvp fans would want to spend their day interacting with a cartoon. Makes total sense.

The gothic art style fits Poe quite well, and graphics don't matter to PvPers. Just look at how many play Haven and Hearth, and Ultima Online, and Darkfall.

Edit: Doublepost

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

It will be fun until a group of gankers comes by and puts you in rebirth mode or could be just a bear chasing you when your internet goes south for a bit.  There is nothing fun about permadeath.

Yeah Im not a fan of it either...I've jsut had too many things go wrong over the years that resulted in deaths that I had nothing to do with, and I'd hate to lose my character that I had worked on as a result......

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Ozmo, those who read the article will recall that npc animals will only knock you out, not kill you.

And while you are knocked out there will be those who cannot resist taking advantage of that?  Sorry, I love sandboxes, but the addition of permadeath is foolhardy in any game let alone an open ended sandbox game.   Once most people experience it, they will leave and all you will have left supporting the game is a few die hard souls.  The servers will be lucky to stay up for a year.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Ozmo, those who read the article will recall that npc animals will only knock you out, not kill you.

And while you are knocked out there will be those who cannot resist taking advantage of that?  Sorry, I love sandboxes, but the addition of permadeath is foolhardy in any game let alone an open ended sandbox game.   Once most people experience it, they will leave and all you will have left supporting the game is a few die hard souls.  The servers will be lucky to stay up for a year.

The "murder" skill is hard to get, it is one of the hardest skills to get and if they do kill you, they will leave evidence that anyone can gather and use to summon the perpetrator even when offline.

The murder evidence can be stored and it doesn't dissappear for 90 days. That is 90 days you got on you to get your revenge through the community and your friends.