Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a Ganker. Don't hate me.

ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

Hi,

Let me begin with saying that I used to play singleplayer games, I played alot alot of them. I loved everything from the single one-shotting an enemy from behind with a sniperrifle to upgrade my very own character with a new sword, shield or whatever in an old school RPG. The good old days before internet becamed so huge as it is today.

I loved every minute. I remember saying; "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if one could team up with a friend in this game!? Or wait, even better, think if I could attack eachother in the game!?" Me and a friend discussed this matter when we took turns playing a singleplayer rpg on console. But that was only a dream though... I mean.... how on earth could that be possible?? Well, one can always dream right...?

Many years later I'm sitting infront of a computer were MMORPG's are a reality on the internet since years. It's not the old times anymore and my hobby and my dream have become ONE! WoW, what the heck happened?

Who cares what happened, timed passed by and technology made it possibly to play online and right now I'm having the time of my life dueling my opponents/friends, goin into instances, exploring the world, fighting over resorces like minerals or flowers or whatever there is out there! This is my hobby and I love it and there are other players outthere to fight! Hallellujah!

Now, every coin has two sides though:(

Killing computer controlled beasts just aint the same thing as it is to kill another player ingame and now this is were the problems starts....

It turned out that, as I was told, despite the game's server rulesets, wasn't allowed to kill another player because of:

*He/she was to low level

*He/she was occupied with a computer controlled beast/mob

*He/she was wrong class (it was considered unfair due to unbalance at that very time to attack X-class wile being Y-class)

*He/she was a pve:er... or a RP:er... (heck, I even RP myself once in a while, christ!!)

*He/she was unbuffed wich I happened to be at the moment...

*He/she was targeting something else so I got the first hit!

*He/she pulled out his/her main and I killed that character too and I was told that I wasn't worth living because I sucked anyway!?

*He/she pulled out his/her main and killed ME and I was told that I wasn't worth living because I sucked!

*I went into organized PvP and killed a player's toon and went: "Yay!!" But ofcourse I was told that the rating of that player was so low so I shouldn't be to happy about it...!

What??? Who the heck can I kill?

Basically, I must be among the very top players to be allowed to kill another character in an online videogame?? It's not about fun it's about something they call E-sport!? Oh no! I won't follow that rule....I WILL NOT FOLLOW THAT RULE!!

It's quite simple for me; some players outthere are better than me and some are worse than me. I don't track wich ones got the higher rating and such. This E-sport thingy just ain't for me. I play for fun and I kill for fun. I's a game.

Sports for me is football, soccer, hockey and things like that.

People like me get bashed for everything. We're either small stupid kids that shouldn't be allowed to play onlinegames or we are living in our mothers basements even at older age. We're fat, ugly and virgins. We're unemployed, we got no friends in real life and we're evil. We think lesser of other people and we're filled with hate towards the rest of the world.

We got bad hygiene and our house, sorry basement, looks like a warzone.

We almost never go outside. We only sit inside and play all day long and we're playing bad. Because we're not good in anything!

Well..., let me tell you something: That is all wrong! Now, I can't speak for all gankers outthere but for me that is all wrong! I'm nice and friendly person, I got no social problems etc. I take care of my friends and family and I treat people with respect. I'm not filled with alot of hate or anything like that. I'm pretty much "the average Joe" so to speak. Having a good life.

So why do I gank then??

To prove my skill?

No! This keeps coming up all the time for some reason I don't understand. I know that there's no skill involved when ganking a player with half healthbar left or a low level player or whatever, I know that!!

(Don't get me completely wrong though, I fight equally players aswell, same level and such. Sometimes I win, sometimes I loose)

To earn gold?

No! You don't get rich ingame by ganking another player in my game. I know that!!

To gear up my character?

No! I won't gear up my toon in my game by ganking another player out in the world, I know that!!

So why then?? Well, let me give you one example. (There are many)

I camed across this player in a leveling zone a while ago. He was some level under me I think and was playing a class that I could usually beat. I took him out and moved along, continuing doing my quests. After a while I saw him again and guess what...yes!

About one hour later, perhaps more, we were about 10-15 players joined up in a raid fleeing for our lives. The enemy were atleast 25-30 and I was one of their main targets. They finally got me, stood around my corpse dancing and laughing.

One of them seemed to be extra happy, jumping around and did all kind of funny emotes. It was that player that I had ganked before. He got his revenge allright! ;)

Now, for more than an hour I didn't complete one single quest. I didn't earn one single gold. I didn't equip one piece of new gear. I didn't earn one small amount of XP for my toon... or maybe a small amount of XP for discovering a new area of the zone when fleeing for my life;)

But hey... I HAD SO MUCH FUN!!

The game I'm playing makes it easy. I has different kind of serverrulesets that allows players to be able to attack other players while playing the game. There are also servers that makes your toon unattackable by other players while questing, exploring and roleplaying etc. It's called pvp and pve servers. (it got these rp and rppvp aswell) Simple is that and this is one of many things about this game that has made it so successful I believe. Everyone can participate and have fun.

You want to be left alone while playing, there are servers for you!

You want the thrill and the excitement of beeing exposed to enemy players while beeing out in the world, there are servers for you aswell.

Still, there are these people who keep fighting over this issue called ganking. They want to enforce their favorite serverrulesets into all servers! Everyone must be playing on their conditions and if you think otherwise the name calling begins. The bashings... The harrasments... The hate...

Take care of eachother and have fun while playing folks and remember, it's just a game.

Sorry for grammar and spelling, ain't native here.

Piece out,

Clawzon

:)

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

That's OK, I have my evil alter ego that I play in MMO's and she doesn't play fair, and she doesn't play all nice.   She sees an opportunity to kill another player she doesn't let it pass -especially in EVE.  

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am glad your lack of empathy allowed you to have fun. Great for you.

To me, personally, saying 'I'm a ganker' is just saying 'I have no skills and need to go for cheap assed kills all the time'.

So, I accept what you're saying in the spirit it is offered. You're a ganker.

Tbh though, to compare any PvP game based on classes/ gear/ lvls to a 'sport' is a bit retarded.

I don't hate you though. I don't hate anybody I have met in a game or on a forum, you are all far too generic and disposable to me for that.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I don't hate you.

I avoid the lousy games which let you gank.

And then because millions of others think like me (wanting PVE and/or True/Hardcore PVP, but not Gank/World/Casual PVP), those games are fading away.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i don hate gankers but i do want rules to make your life ingame extremely difficult..but not impossible.

i think thats fair.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Na why would we hate you I just pulled out my OP toon and came back and kicked your OP toons ass.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Simple answer to the hate- only gank people who want to pvp and are the same level or above. Job done op? You like football op, do you like to play players in the same league or do you like to score over and over again while playing a junior side?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Axehilt

I don't hate you.

I avoid the lousy games which let you gank.

And then because millions of others think like me (wanting PVE and/or True/Hardcore PVP, but not Gank/World/Casual PVP), those games are fading away.

"True pvp".. No such thing, there are merely different types of pvp.

Thinking the majority in arena instances in mmorpgs are after "hardcore" pvp and not simply after accessible pvp. Oh my sides.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Simple answer to the hate- only gank people who want to pvp and are the same level or above. Job done op? You like football op, do you like to play players in the same league or do you like to score over and over again while playing a junior side?

30-year old Ganker "See that guy over there...I'm gonna kick his ass! I''m freaking awesome!!"

Ganker's friend "Dude...that's a 4 year old child..."

30-year old Ganker "You're right...better back me up in case he starts to beat me..."

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I don't hate gankers I hate bad game design. I think EvE has a good high sec / low sec system but needs to be greatly improved upon. I have a feeling ArcheAge will fall short as well but it still looks like it should work better than Darkfall and MO.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ah better analogy, using gank logic it would be be great if a 20 stone boxer was allowed to dive into a boxing fight with 2 children and repeatedly punch out one of the kids- for your pleasure ofc. And it's ok because one day when he had grown up he can fight you back. Win win!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

You know what would be cool is if they made it so you couldn't gank someone below a certain number of levels of you so that the person being attacked had a chance to fight back.

So a level 85 couldn't attack a level 20. But maybe a level 25 could...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Hate gankers? Why? I just don't play with them. There is no ganking in the games i play and i just don't care about them.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I love these threads, it really stirs up the natives.

Be prepared for many "holier than thou" responses.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

If you are playing on a pvp server for whatever your flavor of the month MMO is and you are not up to par lvl wise dont cry if you get ganked. You should always have a main toon that is OP to take care of ppl who gank you on lower area's Simple enough get ganked log out log in to that toon have fun kicking the gankers ass.  If you are playing on a pve realm or server then lol just dont flag if you are on your alt lvling up duh.

Nuff said.

Originally posted by Psychow

You know what would be cool is if they made it so you couldn't gank someone below a certain number of levels so that the person being attacked had a chance to fight back.

So a level 85 couldn't attack a level 20. But maybe a level 25 could...

Most open world games are non level, low itemization games. Unless someone is standing around noobtown, doing obvious noob things, it is not always so obvious.

Games which are stongly level/item based and make that immediately obvious are not the best candidates for OWPvP by a long stretch.

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

I'm like you man, just kill anyone when you want to.  If they're 20 levels below you or 5 levels ahead of you; it doesn't matter they gotta die.  It's an online game, if they're the enemy they gotta die.

Yes I played SWTOR.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

30-year old Ganker "See that guy over there...I'm gonna kick his ass! I''m freaking awesome!!"

30-year old Ganker "You're right...better back me up in case he starts to beat me..."

a 4 year old child shouldn't be playing mmo's in the first place.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I dont hate gankers.

When they attack me, i mesmerise them, spit in their face, laugh at the spit dropping down from their silly face noticing the fear in their eyes. And then i run off.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

i think it's hilarious when people get butthurt over gankers..im not a ganker myself but i think it adds entertainment and drama to a game.

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89

Hmmm I seem to remember a great game by the name of Darkfall which was ruined by people like the OP ...

Originally posted by Istavaan

a 4 year old child shouldn't be playing mmo's in the first place.

Who said anything about a MMO. I was talking about the BIG GANKER MEANIE at the shopping mall...

:-)

I miss my rogue. Man those were the days. heehee

Originally posted by andypandyr

Hmmm I seem to remember a great game by the name of Darkfall which was ruined by people like the OP ...

You seem to have a bad memory then. It was "ruined" by the lack of skill cap, subsequent excessive grind, bugs and blinds/ray fest it became.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by dave6660

You say that as if its a bad thing, of course people are gonna have those responses, gankers are the lowest of the low, just like people who abuse children/the eldery, beating on someone that cant fight back makes you a pussy and a coward.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by warmaster670
    Originally posted by dave6660

You say that as if its a bad thing, of course people are gonna have those responses, gankers are the lowest of the low, just like people who abuse children/the eldery, beating on someone that cant fight back makes you a pussy and a coward.

Oh come on...lol...let me tell you something.  The first time you warp onto a AFK miner in EVE and decimate their Hulk(that is not tanked, but in fact loaded with mods that remove armor - making it even easier to kill) in one big explody ball of lights - that is the day you walk away from your computer with a huge smile on your face.