Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*Rumor Mill* Guess which big wig hits the chopping block this week?

2»

Comments

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Hmm... To defend some overpaid mouth piece working for a soulless corporation who doesn't give half a damn about whether I drop dead tomorrow.... or not.

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by altair4

It's not just the money invested, it's the 6y of wasted opportunities. How many games and how much money could have been made if they didn't put an absurd amount of resources into one single turd.

Now this is interesting...

They could have made ALOT of good stuff for that money and time on other games. Unfortunately though...... you know....;)

:)

• Platon2xPlaton2x Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I hate rumor mills.

I hate double rumor mills even more: not only are you posting the rumor that there might be a CEO switch at EA, your posting it on this forums also means that you're automatically connecting this rumor to TOR, which is in itself a connection that is not based on fact and therefore: a rumor.

You're in the rumor room Sherlock

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Athisio

Speculation on any individual losing their job is just distasteful and honestly this thread should be deleted/locked

I have to say that I agree.  Morbid post.

Oh come on!  He's not dying.  If his performace is not up to expectations then he loses his job and they find somebody who can do better.  It's business and it's completely relevant to fans of the company's games or those who weren't happy with the direction the company was going.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by Normike
    Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I hate rumor mills.

I hate double rumor mills even more: not only are you posting the rumor that there might be a CEO switch at EA, your posting it on this forums also means that you're automatically connecting this rumor to TOR, which is in itself a connection that is not based on fact and therefore: a rumor.

This. If this rumour turns out to be true, it will have been because of the performance of EA as a whole.

Don't delude yourself. SWTOR was EA's gigantic flagship project into which they poured hundreds of millions of dollars. Its - comparative - failure has obviously helped sink Riccitiello's job. Another casualty of 'The Tortanic'.

There's a few people in here that hate SWTOR so much that they can't really see clearly lol. SWTOR is  NOT  EA's biggest investment. It might (MIGHT) be the biggest game they've developed but it's not their biggest investment. EA has purchased multiple social gaming companies in the past 5 years, including just last year, costing a sum of 1.5 Billion to 2 Billion dollars. That's BILLIONs, not millions. SWTORs measely 150 million cost is chump  change. Really now.

There's like an obsession on these forums to see SWTOR as some sort of high stakes risk. High stakes? Huh? 150 million might as well be some change on the sidewalk.

You know little about business if you compare buyouts of companies with investments in a game. EA may pay a high price, in the billions, for a company because that’s the market price of that said company. Such a business does not make a noticeable change of the value of EA as a corporation. It only affects the cash available.
    But spending 200-300 millions at failure project does. It gives red figures in the accounting. Money they should have had to pay developers instead of doing the layoffs. And don’t give me the crap that the layoffs where planned, because the planned ending of employment or contract are not layoffs that appear suddenly out of the blue. They are per definition planned and are the normal situation for a contractor.
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

I think it's safe to say Moore is equally is equally as blunderous and Riceototeottoelelelo.

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

I bet every game CEO wishes they had the EA Sports business model, where they can just remake the same game every year with minor changes and sell millions for $60 apiece. Not even CoD can keep up with that kind of highway robbery.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Cameron27

I bet every game CEO wishes they had the EA Sports business model, where they can just remake the same game every year with minor changes and sell millions for $60 apiece. Not even CoD can keep up with that kind of highway robbery.

I love that, how behidn the times is this company.  Things like excessive DRM, relying on console ports, etc, is what has already hosed many companies and caused massive losses in the remaining ones.  When will they get it through their skulls its not going to work.

This honestly reminds me so much of how the RIAA start hemorrhaging blood through the eyes with things like itunes, and other digital distribution platforms.

"you mean, we cant force people to buy entire albums when they only care about 1 song!?!?!!"

They had a model which produced a level of profits which was no longer sustainable and they wouldnt just accept it and try to reinvent themselves, instead they just fought it to the end, spending hundreds of millions and finally just had to succumb.

I honestly think EA/Bioware, etc, is in the same boat.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche