Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Batman, Bruce Wayne? Or is Bruce Wayne, Batman?

Jxb1aJxb1a Member Posts: 41

I'm kind of curious, since all this Dark Knight stuff is happening.

Is Bruce Wayne the "real person" who puts on a Batman suit? Or is Batman the "real person" who puts on a Bruce Wayne facade?

Meaning, is Batman a cover for Bruce Wayne? Or, Bruce Wayne a cover for Batman?

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Considering he was Bruce Wayne before Batman and became Batman as the result of his parents being murdered, it is obviously Bruce Wayne is Batman.

There did not exist a BatMama.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

If you watch the newer movies they answer that question. Batman is who he truly is and he has to really work at the whole billionaire playboy thing... I'd almost would say he struggles with it. Batman is who he truly is so the Bruce Wayne persona is his "Mask" that he wears to cover for Batman. He is Batman first and foremost and "Bruce Wayne" is an act that he portays when he has to.

"It's not who I am it's what I do that defines me" - Batman

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by Brenelael

If you watch the newer movies they answer that question. Batman is who he truly is and he has to really work at the whole billionaire playboy thing... I'd almost would say he struggles with it. Batman is who he truly is so the Bruce Wayne persona is his "Mask" that he wears to cover for Batman. He is Batman first and foremost and "Bruce Wayne" is an act that he portays when he has to.

Bren

I don't even acknowledge the crap movies for reference.

Anyways...

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Dekron

No need to, the comics say the same.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Dekron
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Bren

Anyways...

I only used the newer movies for reference because they are still fresh in most people's minds. These concepts are portrayed across all Batman canon. Batman has always had a major identity crisis. It's one of the main things that make the character more compelling... More 'Human' if you will. He constantly struggles with the duality of his personality. He is Batman but he is also Bruce Wayne. They stand apart yet they are one and the same. The Batman personality usually dominates however. Even when he is trying his hardest to maintain his "Bruce Wayne" persona the Batman keeps creeping to the surface. He is more naturally Batman than he is Bruce Wayne and always has been.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• As a fan of the comics, I've always felt that the Batman identity took over a long time ago. It's part of why I like Batman so much, because he's completely insane. I think that if you gave him a choice, and said you can be one but must abandon the other, he'd pick Batman.

It's one of the reasons I enjoyed Rorschach in Watchmen so much, because he was so intensly psychotic that he regarded his mask as his real face.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Hes Batman, Bruce Wayne is just a costume he has to wear in the daytime.