Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The one gripe i have

rogabrrogabr Member Posts: 125

Loved the game, looked great; played well even on australian lag

just one question

at max level what am i logging in for? 

is there ANY SORT OF GEAR LADDER what so ever or will you hear "Oh that guy over there has been playing for months and his best in slot and i just hit 90 and i hit the same as him...hmm.."

basically what im saying is in the lamest terms is, if i PVP For months on end, i should be given the ability to crush (a bit too harsh of a word, have an advantage?) someone whos just started playing that is outside of player skill, otherwise theres no reason to continue playing because ive never EVER liked the "aesthetics is the reward!" mindset, No, please, No. i dont care if i look like a literal god or a farmer with a pitch fork, if i can confidently beat someone else then the aesthetics doesnt mean jack to me and in which case, whats the reason to log in? 

inc flames

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Well if you are looking for a constant power progression then you are going to be disappointed.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

If you play for months and months more than a new person, and they still kick your ass...

... you maybe deserve to lose.  Just a bit.

Sorry.  :)

Seriously, this is why a lot of people quit chess.  They play for months but the chess teacher never gives them the uber piece that lets them beat chess noobs.

Stupid chess.  What kind of a game expects people to win because they're getting better through practice? :(

• SayoPGSayoPG Member Posts: 8

U have every right to play gear threadmill mmo`s and have awsome advantage over fresh ppl in pvp. GW2 will never be that game, so move along and cya.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

That's exactly what the game doesn't have and doesn't need. The ability to 1-shot people who just started playing, when you've been playing for a lot of time. It will never happen.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by rogabr

Loved the game, looked great; played well even on australian lag

just one question

at max level what am i logging in for? 

is there ANY SORT OF GEAR LADDER what so ever or will you hear "Oh that guy over there has been playing for months and his best in slot and i just hit 90 and i hit the same as him...hmm.."

basically what im saying is in the lamest terms is, if i PVP For months on end, i should be given the ability to crush (a bit too harsh of a word, have an advantage?) someone whos just started playing that is outside of player skill, otherwise theres no reason to continue playing because ive never EVER liked the "aesthetics is the reward!" mindset, No, please, No. i dont care if i look like a literal god or a farmer with a pitch fork, if i can confidently beat someone else then the aesthetics doesnt mean jack to me and in which case, whats the reason to log in? 

inc flames

No, you shouldn't be given GEAR to crush whoever you meet, you should earn the SKILLS to crush whoever you meet and has only started to play 2 weeks ago. Earning gear in gw2 is easy, what you can grind for is the prestige skins, that have the same overall stats as most high end gear. Same applies to sPvP, you earn glory by playing against your fellow players, such glory can be used to purchase boxes that have a chance to drop an item for you, you can salvage whatever you dont want and use it to craft what you wanted on the mystic forge of the sPvP area.

If you NEED to have better gear to crush someone, then gw2 is not for you.

You login for FUN, not for FARMING.

• CaidenCaiden Member UncommonPosts: 38

Greetings Rogabr!

I'll answer with what I know, hopefully this suffices:

-Legendary Weapons

They take a very very long time to collect, find and make, are marginally better than end-game dungeon gear, and have amazing effects that no other weapons do.

-Explorable Mode Dungeons

These are hard. No, I mean really hard. Ten or more attempts before getting half way. These will take some serious coordination, and 'work' to get through, and offer some nice Dungeon item sets.

-World vs World

Yeah, it's a no brainer, but don't underestimate it's glory! Gather a few friends and intercept some Trade Caravans, or capture a supply camp. Gather more like an angry snowball along the way and take a tower, get more? Be a leader, try and capture some forts.

-Try Crafting

-Be a helper to lower level players

-Structured PvP

Also great fun. I spent all weekend this previous Beta doing nothing but this.

That's the major stuff I can think of. I may have missed some stuff. I hope this helps! Have a good one.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Real pvp games have no power progression, thats why mobas and fps are so popular and normal mmorpg pvp is not.

Im sorry to tell you this but you are not a real pvper.

Real pvpers win with skill and not higher gear scores

• rogabrrogabr Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Caiden

Greetings Rogabr!

-Legendary Weapons

They take a very very long time to collect, find and make, are marginally better than end-game dungeon gear, and have amazing effects that no other weapons do.

These are hard. No, I mean really hard. Ten or more attempts before getting half way. These will take some serious coordination, and 'work' to get through, and offer some nice Dungeon item sets.

-World vs World

Yeah, it's a no brainer, but don't underestimate it's glory! Gather a few friends and intercept some Trade Caravans, or capture a supply camp. Gather more like an angry snowball along the way and take a tower, get more? Be a leader, try and capture some forts.

-Try Crafting

-Structured PvP

That's the major stuff I can think of. I may have missed some stuff. I hope this helps! Have a good one.

[quote] That's the major stuff I can think of. I may have missed some stuff. I hope this helps! Have a good one.[/quote]

yep, your ability to read

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

There isn't any sport that ever gives an advantage to a person in the game because they've been at it longer.  People play sports because they are fun and challenging. You don't get a super racket because you've played tennis for multiple years. People excel at sports because they get skilled at it from experience. I think that is more what Anet is trying to acheive rather than setting up another gear grind mmo where people play because they have to.  

Gear grind games essentially say "you're inferior because you're casual and if you don't quit your job and devote enough time to the game, you'll always be inferior"   If you honestly want to play a game like that, there are a ton of them out there.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Greetings Rogabr!

-Legendary Weapons

-World vs World

-Try Crafting

-Structured PvP

Pretty much what he said, except that for what I know legendary weps dont have better stats, they have stats changed around (like other weapons), and the "amazing effects" are just cosmetic.

• CaidenCaiden Member UncommonPosts: 38

Ah, one of those types. I see.

So much for offering input. You've clearly made up your mind. Enjoy whatever other game you gravitate towards, my friend, this one may not be for you.

Cheers.

Originally posted by austriacus Real pvp games have no power progression, thats why mobas and fps are so popular and normal mmorpg pvp is not. Im sorry to tell you this but you are not a real pvper. Real pvpers win with skill and not higher gear scores

World of warcraft

Esport, Prize money, its getting its esport medals and its places back since cata is so well balanced at high end

Due to GEAR Progression.

League of legends, the biggest Esport in history (Yes, its taking over SC2 and SC1 in terms of popularity)

Runes

Power Progression.

im sorry to tell you this but you've got no clue what your going on about, continue keyboard turning.

Ah, one of those types. I see.

So much for offering input. You've clearly made up your mind. Enjoy whatever other game you gravitate towards, my friend, this one may not be for you.

Cheers.

you didnt offer any sort of input what so ever thats helpful in any way what so ever

you simply copy pasted a bunch of crap that has ZERO to do with what ive actually wrote

• willstelterwillstelter Member Posts: 19

Ewww. You're a troll or a die-hard fan of the hamster wheel. 

Again, the point of PvP isn't the gear imbalancing the players capabilities. What fun is that? "I'm rank 13! I crush rank 1's." What challenge is there in 1-shotting someone who is beginning. It's about knowing how to play your class, not the time sink of grinding out ranks. 

Go roll a frost mage and go play wow. You won't even need the gear. 

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

im sorry to tell you this but you've got no clue what your going on about, continue keyboard turning.

I'm sorry to tell you but you've got no clue what your going on about, real PVPers rule with their skills not with their items. That's what real PVPers do, newbies farm for items to compensate for their total lack of skill

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

Skill should always be the deciding factor

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by austriacus Real pvp games have no power progression, thats why mobas and fps are so popular and normal mmorpg pvp is not. Im sorry to tell you this but you are not a real pvper. Real pvpers win with skill and not higher gear scores

World of warcraft

Esport, Prize money, its getting its esport medals and its places back since cata is so well balanced at high end

Due to GEAR Progression.

League of legends, the biggest Esport in history (Yes, its taking over SC2 and SC1 in terms of popularity)

Runes

Power Progression.

People that play on the tournament realm in WoW get to choose whatever gear they want with whatever gems they want with whatever trinkets they want. There is no gear progression at all in the tournament realm. There is no gear progression in any type of tournament taht has ever given money or prizes. I'm sorry to tell you this, but you've got no clue what you're talking about.

Not to mention that there is actual progression that happens in GW2. Gearing up once you hit 80 and building your character's gear for whatever build you want are a very important part of GW2. The difference is that you only have to gear up once instead of every time they release a new "season."

• willstelterwillstelter Member Posts: 19

since cata is so well balanced at high end

If you think WoW is balanced in any form of the word, you need to get a reality check. 

World of warcraft

Due to GEAR Progression.

Runes

Power Progression.

World of warcraft... esport HA HA HA... HA HA.... HA ...

Now seriously, jokes aside (considering you were joking about wow being an esport).

League of Legends is so EASY to achieve "power cap" its not even worth considering it a progression, when you reach level cap youll have earned enough IP to fill atleast two rune pages (that are given to you instantly), and this is exactly what Anet is trying to achieve.

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161

You'll have the advantage of skills, both gained for your characters (regular and elite skills unlocked) ~ and the ones you yourself gain by playing. You'll understand class tactics better, dodging and strafing will come more naturally, and you'll be familiar with terrain and the more beneficial objectives. These are real advantages, and ones that you may find more satisfying than only being able to say you grinded a long time for some stat increases.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by eyelolled

There isn't any sport that ever gives an advantage to a person in the game because they've been at it longer.  People play sports because they are fun and challenging. You don't get a super racket because you've played tennis for multiple years. People excel at sports because they get skilled at it from experience. I think that is more what Anet is trying to acheive rather than setting up another gear grind mmo where people play because they have to.  

Gear grind games essentially say "you're inferior because you're casual and if you don't quit your job and devote enough time to the game, you'll always be inferior"   If you honestly want to play a game like that, there are a ton of them out there.

Does motor sports count? What about golf even? Even for the example you mentioned, yes gear still matters. Not as much as skill but still. Furthermore what about training to develop your muscles? Doesn't such things give you an advantage in almost every sport if you have been exercising and working out better than your opponent. Now what about war? A kevlar helmet can take a hell of a lot better beating than a steel one.

There isn't any sport that ever gives an advantage to a person in the game because they've been at it longer. People play sports because they are fun and challenging. You don't get a super racket because you've played tennis for multiple years. People excel at sports because they get skilled at it from experience. I think that is more what Anet is trying to acheive rather than setting up another gear grind mmo where people play because they have to.

i guess thats why theres no subscription fee

"Why would someone pay to play this game when they're not getting stronger?"

as much as bad players wont admit, these types of games dont require you to "quit your job and devote your life" to do the game to actually be a good player, if you arnt a horrible player (not that difficult, for some people) then you've already beaten 90% of the playerbase the second you hit the lv cap

and since apparently there wont be a gear treadmill (even a small one; which is absurd) then how would someone carry a team with more baddies than the other team? you cant be everywhere at once so since there is no gear advantage then theres no way for you to take a cap vs 2-3 players and outplay AND Outgear them so you get into a match, realize youre playing with a bunch of retards and proceed to bang your head against the wall because everyone does everything the same!

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

World of warcraft

Due to GEAR Progression.

Runes

Power Progression.

Leage of legends is the most casual moba and the one with the less skill required. A popular game isnt necesarilly a good game. Same with WoW.

If you wana talk about real pvp games there is Dota, HoN, Counter strike, SC2 etc.

Originally posted by ozmono
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Does motor sports count? What about golf even? Even for the example you mentioned, yes gear still matters. Not as much as skill but still. Furthermore what about training to develop your muscles? Doesn't such things give you an advantage in almost every sport if you have been exercising and working out better than your opponent. Now what about war? A kevlar helmet can take a hell of a lot better beating than a steel one.

^

no gear treadmill at all = pubs with baddies(the majority of the playerbase) will be a disaster

you know the "fun" part of the game you people keep trying to throw at me with various buzzwords and other ramblings

Originally posted by austriacus

World of warcraft

Due to GEAR Progression.

Runes

Power Progression.

Leage of legends is the most casual moba and the one with the less skill required. A popular game isnt necesarilly a good game. Same with WoW.

If you wana talk about real pvp games there is Dota, HoN, Counter strike, SC2 etc.

and yet they are the most popular ones, with the highest prize pools, and the biggest competitive scenes

Oh and if you want to talk about REAL PVP GAMES

Then go play bloodline champions, 3 out of 4 of the games you mentioned have RNG which is horrible in a "real pvp game" since its not under the players control

This discussion has been closed.