Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Man dies playing too much Diablo III

toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

18 year old died playing this game 40 hours straight.

http://tech2.in.com/news/pc/man-dies-playing-too-much-diablo-iii/328252

See Blizzard is evil image

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
Now Playing: N/A
Worst MMO: FFXIV
Favorite MMO: FFXI

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

There are so many wrong things that could be said...

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I can't believe they would let some one stay in there for that long. Would think there would be some time limit. This is sad on many levels...

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Ive came close to being awake 40 hours straight, it wasnt playing a game though, it was work. I know it was well over 30 hours. Thankfully I dont do that job anymore, I never thought of it being fatal. 40 hours really isnt that long. I wonder what type of health he was in.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324

Of all games....diablo 3....really? 

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by toddze

Ive came close to being awake 40 hours straight, it wasnt playing a game though, it was work. I know it was well over 30 hours. Thankfully I dont do that job anymore, I never thought of it being fatal. 40 hours really isnt that long. I wonder what type of health he was in.

IIRC it wasnt the amount of time he was awake that hurt him, it weas the sitting for that amount of time and not moving.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Yeah I too have been awake for probably 40 hours before because of work...did not die.  Definitely makes you wonder what kind of health that person was in to begin with.  Must have had some kind of pre-existing condition.  How can a video game cause you to do that though, and not even eat?  D3 certainly isn't that good...

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

D3 couldn't keep me awake for an hour.

Joined - July 2004

• coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64

if im gonna go out playing a game, it damn well better be Shenmue 3. 

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by coretester

FUCK YEA!

BOOYAKA!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by coretester

FUCK YEA!

So much time wasted playing darts etc in the arcae in shenmue, not to mention trying to get all the little  toys from the machine outside.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

...and as they carted off the big fish of gaming's corpse, the smaller fish of the internet cafe schooled in and swarmed around nibbling on his dying remains of dorito crumbs and cheeto dust. Thus is the cycle of life in the game kingdom renewed for another day.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Played too much D3, D2 on the otherhand...

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

It happens in Asian countries all the time, it's news if it hapens here.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

probably died of boredom

• maxg314maxg314 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by gravesworn

Of all games....diablo 3....really? 

Haha i wish there was a way to like this

• retye50retye50 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Wow.....that's crazy, I play D3 at night to put me to sleep.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm getting really fed up with seeing the media try to jump on 'any' incident that is in any way blamable on a game. It's just so shameful. The people writing this crap know full well the game has nothing to do with the incident but thy still publish it because it brings in better viewing figures.

If you read something like.. 'Man gets shot in the street after eating chicken nuggets at McDonalds, more proof fast food is bad for you' and believe it then you need to go get some education. All these game/death articles are just as rediculous.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • sojobo69sojobo69 Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Legere

probably died of boredom

Haha , agree 100%

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Yeah it is not the fact of the fourty hours of being awake that did him in, though it could be a ffactor in his deat, ibut that in those hours he did not eat or drink even refraining from using the bathroom that caused his death. Being inactve like hwo you are when playing games or sitting down for prolonged periods of time without stretching or moving around, as well as largely not eating or drinking is going to kill you in short order. I would be more cross with the person that was playing, the people of the cafe that he was playing in, and the cafe itself then with the game maker. How the hell do you allow a person to purchase a gaming room for 40 hours, then not check up on the person from time to time making sure your customer is alright, and even allow such a situation to occure. I mean if the guy had purchased the room for 15 or 20 hours that would be one thing, though even here i would say they should be checked on (many gamers in all areas have been said to lose track of time, and even of vital things to keep them alive.), but to not check on him at all in a 40 hour stretch of time from when he signed in to when he had to be taken to the hospital is just a neglegent behavior to me.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Casual.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

I wouldn't want to be blizzard's PR department today...

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Istavaan

[mod edit]

Hey now.  Seriously?  You didn't know him and that comment was entirely uncalled for. 

This just makes me feel sad if anything, and especially someone so young.  He was just starting his adult life and who knows what he might have done or accomplished.  I sort of get where you are coming from in that this kind of obsessive behavior is really strange. 

But with an attention span like that, I have to wonder what he might have accomplished if he put his effort towards something a little more productive.  Thats what I think every time I hear of someone dying from playing a game for 2 or 3 days straight.  I can't pretend to understand it, but I can sympathize.  Even for the family. 

To loose a son in this way?  I have a son.  Id vomit for months if it happened to him.  To loose a life like that?  Just for that? 

I think people in this society are just getting a little too bored.  Really though.  Nothing out there seems exciting.  Everything seems explored, everything seems done, and they escape into an alternate reality because the one they live in isn't nearly as exciting at all.  Its just sad.  All it is.  I cant say the world is better off without that guy.  Because he obviously wasn't involved in the "world" anyways.  God bless him.  This is just sad, nothing else. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

[mod edit]

I will no comment because I will be banned if I did....

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Corehaven

[mod edit]

Hey now.  Seriously?  You didn't know him and that comment was entirely uncalled for. 

This just makes me feel sad if anything, and especially someone so young.  He was just starting his adult life and who knows what he might have done or accomplished.  I sort of get where you are coming from in that this kind of obsessive behavior is really strange. 

But with an attention span like that, I have to wonder what he might have accomplished if he put his effort towards something a little more productive.  Thats what I think every time I hear of someone dying from playing a game for 2 or 3 days straight.  I can't pretend to understand it, but I can sympathize.  Even for the family. 

To loose a son in this way?  I have a son.  Id vomit for months if it happened to him.  To loose a life like that?  Just for that? 

I think people in this society are just getting a little too bored.  Really though.  Nothing out there seems exciting.  Everything seems explored, everything seems done, and they escape into an alternate reality because the one they live in isn't nearly as exciting at all.  Its just sad.  All it is.  I cant say the world is better off without that guy.  Because he obviously wasn't involved in the "world" anyways.  God bless him.  This is just sad, nothing else. 

Substituting "God bless him" with "may the gods bless his soul" I thought pretty much the same thing.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

To all those here posting that the world is better off without people "like him".

We are all gamers, you people make me sick just thinking this way.....it's just sad to see an 18 year old young person losing his life over a hobby.

I wish the family alot of strength in this hard time.

We all know it and Game dev companies always tell you to take a break every hour or 2 of gaming.......game smart, dont let a videogame be the end of your social life or like this young one.....his life period.