Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I cannot help but notice this slope going on. Could this be the deal breaker for Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Zezda
    Originally posted by ste2000
    As long as they don't take it to the next level like they did with GW1 (ie. skill packs), then it should be fine.

They will.

If their did it for their first game, what makes you think they won't do it for the sequel?

TBH the skill packs didn't really make any difference to that game at all.

They do, as you can have all the skills from the moment you first log in. Which takes a lot away from the content, and gives an unfair advantage in pvp, against those going through the content normally. I however do believe like others that they won't go that far, with GW2. If they do, it will make a lot of people very unhappy.

No, you can't.

You still need to get experience for them and at least for the factions campaign I was not able to just unlock whatever I liked from wherever I liked. It also does nothing for elite skills, which require much more effort to obtain than the standard skills do.

Also, it does nothing for PvP.. nothing. People can roll premade level 20 characters for pvp anyway..

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

The line is, "sword of awsomeness $15 - Armor of baditude $20".

I also hate those "random" box things, good thing asia is starting to ban those things as gambling.  Wouldnt entirely bother me to have them in a game, I just wouldnt go for it.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

The thing is : I don't f*cking care, really.

Game is solid, fun, I don't care if the driver next to me has bought a NOS booster, a carbon hood or fancy neon under his car, as long as I enjoy my ride.

And people should do the same. They would live a happier life.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

LInes already been crossed- you are a few years too late.

When those swords +20 hit the shops across all MMOs (not just saying GW2) in hthe next few years- the defenders will still be here, a new(er) generation who is coming into gaming right now and thinks this is all "normal" and it wont be much of a stretch.

Find a new hobby or indie game =/

Greed wins.

• PudsyPudsy Member Posts: 34

Once the cash shop is there... other things will appear in it, such as level boosts, and weapons etc etc... because why... its a business and its to make profits. After the 5 month period, they'll add all this crap.

I'm not a fan of GW2 anyway thoe... i think its a horrible game.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by sapheroith

And i notice the slope of people focus firing at GW2's cash shop, while it is better than 99% of the MMOs on the market.

Conclusion 1:  Attention whores.

Concl;usion 2: Well disguised trolls.

Conclusion 3: Viral marketing.

Pick 1, OP.

In conclusion 2 you can remove the workd "well" or in some cases even "disguised" :)

@OP: I didn't notice any slope as it was clear these items would be in the shop well before the prepurchase started so everybody who prepurchased could/should've been aware of that and not have prepurchased if it would be a problem for them that some people are faster at level cap or earn in-game currencies faster. IMO in a cooperative PVE experience there's inheretently no advantage over other players, unless there's progression raiding that comes with server 1sts to brag about and a cash shop that make it remarkably easier to earn that bragging right. I don't mind the company making money off folks that can't resist buying things to make them look pretty or to save some minor time because they have busy RL schedule. In the end every game is a business after all and something should fund the next content update.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Derros
    The line is, "sword of awsomeness $15 - Armor of baditude $20".

I also hate those "random" box things, good thing asia is starting to ban those things as gambling.  Wouldnt entirely bother me to have them in a game, I just wouldnt go for it.

Oh gawd. I hated those things too. When I was new to free to play MMOs. I was foolish enough to buy into that until I realized I was taking in part in a form of gambling for all ages.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

This game's cash shop is pay to win. With real money you can get everything you could get with in game gold + a LOT more. Without gems, you're more or less screwed.. and since they're so valuable, players who bought them won't give away them for free. They want a LOT of gold for 1 nasty gem.

So people who don't want to touch the cash shop are at disadvantage... and there's no way for them to get gems easily. F2P have to grind day and night just to be on the same level as cash shoppers. This is way cash shop is p2w.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Masa1

This game's cash shop is pay to win. With real money you can get everything you could get with in game gold + a LOT more. Without gems, you're more or less screwed.. and since they're so valuable, players who bought them won't give away them for free. They want a LOT of gold for 1 nasty gem.

So people who don't want to touch the cash shop are at disadvantage... and there's no way for them to get gems easily. F2P have to grind day and night just to be on the same level as cash shoppers. This is way cash shop is p2w.

... gems aren't very valuable.  They're barely worth more than a penny.

Also, unless they drastically rebalance the game and take back everything they said, people who don't pay a dime (Past the original box price) can pretty much max out within about 100 hours.  That's hardly 'grinding day and night'.  If that seems like an intolerable amount of time for you, MMORPGs are probably not a good genre for you. :(

... and they can max out instantly when it comes to structured PvP.  :T

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Simple answer, spend however much a month you think is reasonable if you were to pay a sub for the game.   

ps  'game-breaker' and 'deal-breaker' in fashion i see.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Meowhead

... gems aren't very valuable.  They're barely worth more than a penny.

Also, unless they drastically rebalance the game and take back everything they said, people who don't pay a dime (Past the original box price) can pretty much max out within about 100 hours.  That's hardly 'grinding day and night'.  If that seems like an intolerable amount of time for you, MMORPGs are probably not a good genre for you. :(

... and they can max out instantly when it comes to structured PvP.  :T

Players are the one who determine the price, aren't they? Gems can get you a lot of cool stuff, more inv space, faster leveling, etc. Why would anyone want to sell currency bought with real money with only a tiny amount of gold?

And how do you know it only takes 100 hours? I don't know anyone who has grinded from 1 to 80 yet... I bet that you're just making that up.

Who cares about lame structured PvP? I don't for sure.

Players can't set the price for gems themselves, it's fixed prices rebalanced by supply/demand so it's not them wanting a lot of gold for 1 gem (even though I think it's not that much, I would be able to fund a server transfer within a week by just enjoying the game, not grinding).

As for the pay to win argument, I'm just going to copy and paste one of my other responses as I'm getting tired of typing them up each time:

I think you need to do some thinking about what is "winning". Yes that player has some items sooner than you and may get better drops, but how does that affect you, and how does he win from other players?

Sure if your metagame is the economy or getting as many items as possible (that have little to no influence on the relative power a player has gameplay wise) then you may have an argument.

But as it stands it doesn't win anything in competetive pvp (no buffs working there, everyone maxed in gear and stats) and in WvW it will balance out because every server will have some people spending cash in the shop to get boosts so earn gold faster and can buy siege equipment faster and even if some servers have all the rich guys they'll be matched against eachother when rebalancing the matches against other servers to be relatively the same in power.

And I think it's laughable if you think someone can win over other players in a cooperative pve environment where there's no progresion raiding so also no server firsts to brag about.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    GW1 skill packs cover both PvE and PvP.

You still either had to buy skillbooks OR get them as drops in hardmode. You really don't know what you are talking about. Getting a skill pack did not automatically allow you to use them, except in PvP.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

People should go and learn to read if "xp potions" are something new to them. It's been known for such a long time those items will be in and no those items don't make game p2w. It's only convenience especially with lvl scaling, the time it takes to lvl up without those items etc. People as always blow things out of proportion. I could say that gW2's cash shop is actually underwhelming. it's hard to find a lot of items you would want to buy every month.

Players are the one who determine the price, aren't they? Gems can get you a lot of cool stuff, more inv space, faster leveling, etc. Why would anyone want to sell currency bought with real money with only a tiny amount of gold?

And how do you know it only takes 100 hours? I don't know anyone who has grinded from 1 to 80 yet... I bet that you're just making that up.

Well, it takes about 90 minutes per level, once you hit level 20.  It takes maybe 10 hours, maybe a bit more to get to level 20.  (Many, many people have hit well over 30 in just the beta weekend, even with a normal sleep schedule.  LEvels about 20 average to about 90 minutes, though they start stretching out a bit past 30 because there wasn't any good places to level).  They've shown charts with a flat leveling curve.  From about 20-50 people have SEEN that flat leveling curve.  So like I said, unless they change something fairly drastically, we're not talking much more than 100 hours.

... and no, for 1 dollar, you buy 80 gems.  That price is set, and not by the players.  That means gems are worth slightly more than a single penny.  Nobody is going to trade hours and hours of grinding for a single penny.  :T  Not even literal slaves in China would grind that much.  If you're talking about hours of work for what you can buy for a dollar even (80 gems), people are just going to get a job, or ask their mom, or mug an old lady or something.

Originally posted by lilHeala

I think you need to do some thinking about what is "winning". Yes that player has some items sooner than you and may get better drops, but how does that affect you, and how does he win from other players?

Sure if your metagame is the economy or getting as many items as possible (that have little to no influence on the relative power a player has gameplay wise) then you may have an argument.

But as it stands it doesn't win anything in competetive pvp (no buffs working there, everyone maxed in gear and stats) and in WvW it will balance out because every server will have some people spending cash in the shop to get boosts so earn gold faster and can buy siege equipment faster and even if some servers have all the rich guys they'll be matched against eachother when rebalancing the matches against other servers to be relatively the same in power.

And I think it's laughable if you think someone can win over other players in a cooperative pve environment where there's no progresion raiding so also no server firsts to brag about.

Winning?

I sure would like to open those cool chests I get from mobs. It would feel like winning, I'm sure of it. I also love extra warehouse space and could use server transfers from time to time.

I also don't like if some asshat levels and earns everything faster than me, it would feel like I'm losing.

Sure all of that is just "PvE", but in WvW I don't really like that some asshat uses the most expensive siege weapons, while I can't use any because I haven't grinded enough. It almost feels like he is winning with real money.

Well, it takes about 90 minutes per level, once you hit level 20.  It takes maybe 10 hours, maybe a bit more to get to level 20.  (Many, many people have hit well over 30 in just the beta weekend, even with a normal sleep schedule.  LEvels about 20 average to about 90 minutes, though they start stretching out a bit past 30 because there wasn't any good places to level).  They've shown charts with a flat leveling curve.  From about 20-50 people have SEEN that flat leveling curve.  So like I said, unless they change something fairly drastically, we're not talking much more than 100 hours.

... and no, for 1 dollar, you buy 80 gems.  That price is set, and not by the players.  That means gems are worth slightly more than a single penny.  Nobody is going to trade hours and hours of grinding for a single penny.  :T  Not even literal slaves in China would grind that much.  If you're talking about hours of work for what you can buy for a dollar even (80 gems), people are just going to get a job, or ask their mom, or mug an old lady or something.

And what can you do with 80 gems? Tell me.. I bet it's not much. ;9

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

And why would many people want to buy something not necessarily needed?

This is the game to enjoy the journey, not rushing to the endgame.

And alot of fair-mined pvpers who want to win with skills cares about structured pvp. Sure you dont care.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    As long as they don't take it to the next level like they did with GW1 (ie. skill packs), then it should be fine.

You were able to unlock all skills through PvE and it didnt take you too long to do that. The PVP skill pack was only meant for lazy- or pure pvp players who didnt want to mess around with PvE.

regarding XP boost items:

As long as everyone is equal stats wise, everything is allright. Who cares about XP boost when you get instantly boosted to max lvl, if you wish to do PvP?

Who cares about PvPxp boost? Showoffs who want to be ahead of all in PvPlvls will buy it, but thats it. You dont get any advantages, since you already have a maxed out weapon AND armor.

People who got enough time, will reach everything GW2 has to offer.

People who dont have time (family/job), will also be able to get everything, but they have to pay for it.

From my point of view, its a fair deal.

Originally posted by sapheroith

And why would many people want to buy something not necessarily needed?

This is the game to enjoy the journey, not rushing to the endgame.

And alot of fair-mined pvpers who want to win with skills cares about structured pvp. Sure you dont care.

I literally need extra inv space and server transfers, how can you say that they're not necessarily needed?

So when defending cash shop game suddenly becomes a journey and exp boost is completely useless?

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

It will cross the line if they introduce items that gives them a power or skill advantage over others, such as powerful skills or rare weapons.

Not as much as you can buy with in game currencies like gold and karma! 

Honestly, somebody with spare time is going to be at a huge advantage vs. somebody with spare money.  There's so much cool stuff you can get IN game.

... and if you think bank space and more bag slots are necessary, that's all the proof I need to know you either haven't played the game, or are really horribly bad at it.

I've played with 7 different people, and none of us have ever... EVER had a moment where we had to run back to bank for storage.  Over 30 levels.  Some of us never even bothered to get bags past the 4 and 5 slot bags you earn as rewards in-game without even bothering to craft. :(

Oh, and 80 gems can get you a minor boost.  ... but that's one dollar, and you can do the boost worth of stuff by spending an extra 30 minutes (A boost is an hour and an additional 50%, generally).  So that means only the stupidest AND most desperate of people would trade 30 minutes of work for LESS than 80 gems.  (You'd actually have to be both simultaneously to do that trade. :(  A smart person wouldn't do it, and a non-desperate person wouldn't either).

The power of math.  :T

Not as much as you can buy with in game currencies like gold and karma! 

Honestly, somebody with spare time is going to be at a huge advantage vs. somebody with spare money.  There's so much cool stuff you can get IN game.

... and if you think bank space and more bag slots are necessary, that's all the proof I need to know you either haven't played the game, or are really horribly bad at it.

I've played with 7 different people, and none of us have ever... EVER had a moment where we had to run back to bank for storage.  Over 30 levels.  Some of us never even bothered to get bags past the 4 and 5 slot bags you earn as rewards in-game without even bothering to craft. :(

Oh, and 80 gems can get you a minor boost.  ... but that's one dollar, and you can do the boost worth of stuff by spending an extra 30 minutes (A boost is an hour and an additional 50%, generally).  So that means only the stupidest AND most desperate of people would trade 30 minutes of work for LESS than 80 gems.  (You'd actually have to be both simultaneously to do that trade. :(  A smart person wouldn't do it, and a non-desperate person wouldn't either).

The power of math.  :T

I don't see any math, I only see dumb responses.

Originally posted by lilHeala

Winning?

I sure would like to open those cool chests I get from mobs. It would feel like winning, I'm sure of it. I also love extra warehouse space and could use server transfers from time to time.

I also don't like if some asshat levels and earns everything faster than me, it would feel like I'm losing.

Sure all of that is just "PvE", but in WvW I don't really like that some asshat uses the most expensive siege weapons, while I can't use any because I haven't grinded enough. It almost feels like he is winning with real money.

Those are not winning as there's no competition in those game elements else there would for example be a scoreboard for that to keep tracking of each players leveling and currency earning progression curves. Opening a chest winning? that's being able to unlock a reward which isn't winning as there's no competition, just a reward.

Just an advice you might feel happier if you focus more on your own gaming experience instead of looking at and being jealous of others. Bet you have a hard time in life because your neighbour has a porsche and your driving a volkswagen.

I don't see any math, I only see dumb responses.

Not a productive answer.  Look, it's simple.

Look at ANY boost in the game.  They all work with this formula "For one hour, have 50% better chance", more or less.

That means in general (Crafting being the only notable exception, since it's also limited by materials), any boost is worth literally 30 minutes of time.  The two are interchangeable.  (Actually, 30 minutes of time is better, because it gives you 30 minutes more of experience AND dropped items AND karma, but let's keep this simple for you).  Boosts cost around 100 (I believe somewhat more).

That means anybody paying more than 30 minutes of work for 100 gems for the purpose of boosts is not very good at looking at math.

The bag slot thing WOULD be an issue.. .if it wasn't for the fact that GW2 is the most friendly game I've ever seen for keeping a clean inventory.  I left my bank tonight and ran around non-stop without going back to the city or stopping at a bank for literally hours (From 9pm to 4:00 am) , and how many items were in my 52 slots after that?  Exactly 11.  (2 biscuits I was keeping on me because I like biscuits, a spare pickaxe, a salvage kit, and 8 extra weapons in my bag for swapping).  Out of 52.  After hours.  Without going to the bank or teleporting or leaving the level 15-25 adventuring area.

Look, if you don't know anything about the game, it means you're not going to be able to make meaningful responses to how the cash shop actually works. :)

This discussion has been closed.