Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In your opinion, does GW2 live up to the Manifesto

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

Well year and some months ago we were introduced to this amazing Manifesto for GW2.

Well after testing it out, do you feel it lives up to the Manifesto trailer?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I remember that video from years back it was one of the first things I ever saw that got my interest sparked for this game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

When i play GW2 im bored...

enough said.

• justinopejustinope Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Azzkicka

enough said.

unfortunately this.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by justinope

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Same here. Its the same old same old.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

Don't know yet. I will some time after release though, I do plan on trying it.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Mannish

enough said.

unfortunately this.

in what way? I have found very little in this game that feels same old same old

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Spartan212Spartan212 Member Posts: 55

It's even better than I thought it would be

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

enough said.

unfortunately this.

I agree with you, I don't know how can anyone say with a straight face that is the same old stuff as other MMOs.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Same old fantasy game.

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Four0Six

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Same old fantasy game.

It has health bars and skill buttons, gosh, when will mmorpgs evolve already! Oh yeah, and classes.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by LuciferIAm
    Originally posted by Four0Six

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Same old fantasy game.

It has health bars and skill buttons, gosh, when will mmorpgs evolve already! Oh yeah, and classes.

MO and DF and PS2 come to mind.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I haven't played yet, but I expect it to be a lot of fun. Plus I'm an optimist.

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Without any hostility, let me turn that question around on you; what have you found that doesn't exist in other MMOs? What brand new elements are there that you have never seen before?

All I have seen so far is; you look for the nearest heart on the map, go there, and do what needs to be done. Sometimes the objectives are really quite tedious (water the corn, feed the cows, play with the puppies, carry the rabit food) and other times they're more action oriented but still nothing new (kick a tree, kill the bad guy who drops down....kill the rampaging minotaurs...interact with a bush, kill what comes out). Then there's your personal storyline which has already been done AT LEAST as well in SWTOR (for all the things it did wrong, SWTOR had awesome storylines!) and is also being done- in my opinion, better -in The Secret World.

I'm not saying GW21 is bad because it's not...but what is so original about it?

EDIT: I should add; in between those "heart" areas, there's really just a lot of beautiful but pointless land. It looks awesome, has some monsters...and nothing to do. The hearts seem to be the core of the game, or am I missing something?

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Far from living up to anything.  Disappointed big time from ArenaNet. The dynamic event systems fails so hard because it is nothing more than one big grind for karma points to get gear.  I would rather raid in all honesty than go through hundreds of dull events.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by WoW_Refugee

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Without any hostility, let me turn that question around on you; what have you found that doesn't exist in other MMOs? What brand new elements are there that you have never seen before?

All I have seen so far is; you look for the nearest heart on the map, go there, and do what needs to be done. Sometimes the objectives are really quite tedious (water the corn, feed the cows, play with the puppies, carry the rabit food) and other times they're more action oriented but still nothing new (kick a tree, kill the bad guy who drops down....kill the rampaging minotaurs...interact with a bush, kill what comes out). Then there's your personal storyline which has already been done AT LEAST as well in SWTOR (for all the things it did wrong, SWTOR had awesome storylines!) and is also being done- in my opinion, better -in The Secret World.

EDIT: I should add; in between those "heart" areas, there's really just a lot of beautiful but pointless land. It looks awesome, has some monsters...and nothing to do. The hearts seem to be the core of the game, or am I missing something?

You are missing the DEs which change the world and chain between each other, some of them culminating in big zone events. There are around 1500 of them in the game. At the high level zones you wont even be doing heart quests because there are none of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

so yes, you are missing something, about 80% of the game content.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

It's far exceeded my expectations so far and easily lives up to it's bill.

Originally posted by austriacus

enough said.

unfortunately this.

You are missing the DEs which change the world and chain between each other, some of them culminating in big zone events. There are around 1500 of them in the game. At the high level zones you wont even be doing heart quests because there are none of them.

He is not missing anything. The CORE game is exactly how he described it.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

enough said.

unfortunately this.

If you're playing it like the same old same old, which I would call playing it wrong. 

There is not such thing as playing it wrong. Tell me from what he said how is he playing the game wrong?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Answer to the OP question : it exceeds it.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

enough said.

unfortunately this.

Listen, i know you dont like the game and thats fine, but i ask you to please stop saying blatant lies, i have played all the areas of the game  in beta and while at lvl 1-10 the core game might seem that way the more you level the less hearts there are.

At lvl 25+ its basically 75% of the time DEs, there are just not enough hearts for them to be the core of any character leveling

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

This is the first game I've played since I was waiting for Everquest 1 to come out in 1999, that actually has exceeded my expectations.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

enough said.

unfortunately this.

The CORE game is in that 80%.

While yes, they are all similair quests, what do you expect? Huh? What kind of quest do you want? I bet it will deal with collecting... or helping/ killing somone... they are called quests for a reason. Please name me one quest that has not been done by any MMO, (Star Wars was originally a fantasy... until the 3 prequels), and if you can't do that, name one type of basic quest that GW2 hasn't done. Now don't be to specific, like "a green dragon swoops down, destroying a city, and you have to kill it in 90 seconds, collect its tonails, make those tonails into earings and give them back to the Queen of England who is residing in her Starship in the Netherworld". I want a basic quest... like "kill a # of this" or collect a #of that. Please please give me something new, cause quite frankl I think MMOs have gotten all the basic elements used, and you cant find any more.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by ABRaquel

I agree with you, I don't know how can anyone say with a straight face that is the same old stuff as other MMOs.

I agree how is it same old same old? It's completely different style of mmo and I love it, playing it for 6-8 years or how long it lasts imo. I can spend all day looking at the art and landscapes lots of content but they will add more I love the game, even though I'm not a fan of the GW lore I love the game.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93

enough said.

unfortunately this.

It's seriously hard to believe you guys have even played the game. What's so original about it? It requires actual skill to be consistently successful, I doubt you can name another game that so heavily relies on skill over gear. There is NO HOLY TRINITY, AND IT WORKS. I've yet to come across another game that doesn't have some form of the holy trinity, and actually works (I guess you could maybe.. consider a game like Vindictus but eh). There is also dramatically extra things to do outside of hearts. In fact you can definetly level without ever using them.

Oh, let us not forget how dramatically different it is playing each class. Playing one class, and than switching to a different one, nearly feels like you've switched games. You can try to play one class as you would another, but you will likely fail. I see this as one of the biggest assets of the entire game. I've yet to play a MMORPG (out of literally 100+) that even comes close to this feeling. In roughly every MMORPG out there you still end up doing the same thing between the classes.