Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheaper to transfer to a low population server than a high one.

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

World Transfer
World transfer will be free and unlimited from Noon July 20 to 6:00 PM Pacific on July 21. After this period, you’ll need to spend gems for a transfer. Transfers will still be unlimited. The gem costs for a world transfer after 6:00 PM Pacific on July 21:

• 1800 gems to transfer to a high population world
  • 1000 gems to transfer to a medium population world
  • 500 gems to transfer to a low population world
What do you think about this? I think its nice that you can transfer to a low population server for less than a high population one. 

Comments

• Sup3rnovaSup3rnova Member Posts: 69

I suppose its nice but does that mean there wont be free migrations to low pop servers? Also how much do gems cost?

• BePositiveBePositive Member Posts: 4

I really like this idea. It will allow people who don't like being on high population servers to transfer easier. This will hopefully make it so the low populations keep a steady population and don't keep dropping. It will also stop everyone from jumping ship to the highest population server. I hope it works out like they hope!

The Social Aspect- Bringing Social Back to Online Games.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Sup3rnova

I suppose its nice but does that mean there wont be free migrations to low pop servers? Also how much do gems cost?

No prices confirmed yet, but there are leaked prices that are 800 for 10dollar/euo - 8.5 GBP

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

I don't think there will be so many low pop servers since they made a fine cut, and cut half of the servers off.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

It's just their initial plan. Every plan only holds till it faces reality. So things might change. ;)

But I think it is a good idea to offer cheaper transfers to low pop servers.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by liva98989

I don't think there will be so many low pop servers since they made a fine cut, and cut half of the servers off.

They also increased the server pop size.

But I'm not sure how it will work at release - popular servers already had big queue times for WvWvW.

I also agree free server transfers for low pop servers would be a good idea, at least at release - this could motivate big guilds/communities to migrate off "super packed servers" and make another nice server.

Maybe at release they will follow the same model and allow free transfers all around during a few days.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Anthur

It's just their initial plan. Every plan only holds till it faces reality. So things might change. ;)

But I think it is a good idea to offer cheaper transfers to low pop servers.

It is just one more thing that helps balance world populations, which is great.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

So that's $30, $20 and $10 for respective transfers. I figured that some people would transfer to medium or low population servers to get away from a "zergy" WvW server and I'm sure they'd appreciate the cost reduction for doing so.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Seems like a good, innovative idea.  I've seen other schemes such as when DAOC offered to let people start new characters at level 30 on a new server (no such thing as transfers back in those days) but they've had little impact.

I guess what matters is how important it is to the overall gameplay in GW2 to have a lot of players on your server or not.

The nice thing is, if you are on a low pop server, your WvWvW is likely to be less zergy, which some folks would favor.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by friednietz

So that's $30, $20 and $10 for respective transfers. I figured that some people would transfer to medium or low population servers to get away from a "zergy" WvW server and I'm sure they'd appreciate the cost reduction for doing so.

$22.50

$12.50

$6.25

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

But I'm not sure how it will work at release - popular servers already had big queue times for WvWvW.

I also agree free server transfers for low pop servers would be a good idea, at least at release - this could motivate big guilds/communities to migrate off "super packed servers" and make another nice server.

Maybe at release they will follow the same model and allow free transfers all around during a few days.

You don't need to queue for wvw if you just go to lions arch and use the portals there.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

thats actually quite smart. I like it, and no low pop shouldnt be free ... having a price means you have to actually decide to transfer, and will slow down server hopping. a little. and you can still transfer to be with your other friends, when the friends you start off with turn out to be mmorpg trolls :) ... it will just cost you if its a high pop server. so you need to really really want to do it!

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by grimm6th

$22.50

$12.50

$6.25

I assumed that you can only buy gems at a minimum of $10 for 800.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

$22.50

$12.50

$6.25

I assumed that you can only buy gems at a minimum of $10 for 800.

Yes  but you don't spend all of them on transfer. You are left with 300 gems for other things in case of transfer to low pop server.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Everyone seems to be forgetting you could just grind out some gold and exchange them for gems to do your transfer. No real money has to be spent.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Vannor

Everyone seems to be forgetting you could just grind out some gold and exchange them for gems to do your transfer. No real money has to be spent.

That and you can PvE on any server. Your home server only effects WvW.
  • WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

$22.50

$12.50

$6.25

I love this idea because it, disencourages WvW stacking. Like in some Shooters-Blacklight Retribution, Gunz, Front Mission Evolved ect. The higher lvls/highest score would randomly just move to the better groups/teams leaving all the weakers guys to fend them off. Or the lower levels especially in games like PotBS or APB:Reloaded to fight off the strongest weapons at max lvl with thier starting items. 

People will be more inclined or encouraged to help the lower levels and beginers to get better at the game then spending $22.50 to just change teams and kill them off. 

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

You don't need to queue for wvw if you just go to lions arch and use the portals there.

There's a population limit for each of the 4 WvW maps, if the map is full for your server (IIRC it's something like 200 people per server on each map) then you have to either queue or go to another map.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

I like the economic idea behind this.  To fill lower population servers quicker they are giving the player an incentive to change to one.