Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mists of Pandaria / Guild Wars 2

ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Just some general questions.

With the newly announced release date for Guild Wars 2 (28th August) does this mean that Blizzard will push to have Pandria released before, at the same time, or after GW2?

How do you think the release date of Pandaria will affect GW2 and vice versa?

Will Blizzard even care about Guild Wars 2? 

Is the only reason we don't have a Pandaria release date because of Blizzard waiting for the GW2 release date?

How will the games impact each other over a period of time?

I don't think GW2 will impact WoW much, if at all, no game has ever really done before, so I doubt a B2P game will. If anything WoW sub's who get GW2 will still probably keep their WoW subs.

I personally believe that if Blizzard decides to move the Pandaria release date anywhere near GW2 release date then GW2 is in big trouble.

I know a lot of people will say "you can have GW2 alongside a sub game." But a lot of people can't afford to puchase two games so close to each other, this goes for the majority of gamers. Especially with GW2 being sold much more expensive than most games.

Also, WoW has a much bigger following and loyal fanbase. WoW players who might have checked out GW2 wouldn't want to with a new expansion for their main game being released.

People tend to stick to things they know about and they know that work well, if they have the option to chose between something "new and unknown" and something "well known and trusted" the majority will go for the latter?

This is just something that's been on my mind today since ArenaNet announced the release date for GW2.

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Really doubt MoP is going to launch in 2 months.  They could just wait until after GW2 launch and not have to worry about competing at all.  Looks like quite a bit of testing still to go.  Just my opinion though.

Steam: Neph

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

If history tells us anything it will be around christmas time.  Burning Crusade was launched in Jan, but was schelduled for earlier.  Wrath was launched in november, and cataclysm came in december. Oh, and the original game launch was in november too.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

The fact that GW2 is a single purchase with no costs for subs would suggest that it won't affect any other MMO you might subscribe to, except for time spent playing it. As for MoP's release date, I can't see it changing due to GW 2's release.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Valua

With the newly announced release date for Guild Wars 2 (28th August) does this mean that Blizzard will push to have Pandria released before, at the same time, or after GW2?

Is the only reason we don't have a Pandaria release date because of Blizzard waiting for the GW2 release date?

I don't think GW2 will impact WoW much, if at all, no game has ever really done before, so I doubt a B2P game will. If anything WoW sub's who get GW2 will still probably keep their WoW subs.

I personally believe that if Blizzard decides to move the Pandaria release date anywhere near GW2 release date then GW2 is in big trouble.

I know a lot of people will say "you can have GW2 alongside a sub game." But a lot of people can't afford to puchase two games so close to each other, this goes for the majority of gamers. Especially with GW2 being sold much more expensive than most games.

Also, WoW has a much bigger following and loyal fanbase. WoW players who might have checked out GW2 wouldn't want to with a new expansion for their main game being released.

People tend to stick to things they know about and they know that work well, if they have the option to chose between something "new and unknown" and something "well known and trusted" the majority will go for the latter?

This is just something that's been on my mind today since ArenaNet announced the release date for GW2.

'People tend to stick to things they know about and they know that work well' those scared of change yes.  Every game has its (great) day, but at some point you need to let go and realise the game is x years old, and finally a game has come that moves the genre on.   Lets assume GW2 is an advancement on the genre and you struggle to let go, ask yourself why.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Gravarg

If history tells us anything it will be around christmas time.  Burning Crusade was launched in Jan, but was schelduled for earlier.  Wrath was launched in november, and cataclysm came in december. Oh, and the original game launch was in november too.

Yeah, and another thing it tells us is that Blizzard work rather slowly, I just don´t see MOP being launched before oktober earliest.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

'People tend to stick to things they know about and they know that work well' those scared of change yes.  Every game has its (great) day, but at some point you need to let go and realise the game is x years old, and finally a game has come that moves the genre on.   Lets assume GW2 is an advancement on the genre and you struggle to let go, ask yourself why.

It is in human nature, most of us fear change one way or another and have a hard timne to let go about some stuff.

But with MMOs it is only if you really don't have enough fun anymore it is time to look for a change, if he happily play Wow he should continue (even if he actually could put in some GW2 at times as many Wow players used to do with GW1 when they needed something different on and off).

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274

'People tend to stick to things they know about and they know that work well' those scared of change yes.  Every game has its (great) day, but at some point you need to let go and realise the game is x years old, and finally a game has come that moves the genre on.   Lets assume GW2 is an advancement on the genre and you struggle to let go, ask yourself why.

Yep..this...+1

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

If MoP is going to be so good, why would you be worrying about GW2?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Loke666

'People tend to stick to things they know about and they know that work well' those scared of change yes.  Every game has its (great) day, but at some point you need to let go and realise the game is x years old, and finally a game has come that moves the genre on.   Lets assume GW2 is an advancement on the genre and you struggle to let go, ask yourself why.

It is in human nature, most of us fear change one way or another and have a hard timne to let go about some stuff.

But with MMOs it is only if you really don't have enough fun anymore it is time to look for a change, if he happily play Wow he should continue (even if he actually could put in some GW2 at times as many Wow players used to do with GW1 when they needed something different on and off).

WoW's time is over.  Should have been a long time ago, even Blizzard knows that, thus project Titan running in the background (Actually foreground just hidden since their major talent is focused on that).  The only reason they keep updating it is to bridge the gap in terms of subs/income until Titan is ready.  The graphics are so obsolete it borders on silly at this point, it's a polished game but far too linear for what most gamers are looking for today, and on the whole it feels like a kids game. 

That said, many of the games that have since launched have mostly been failures but then again most of those have failed because they tried to be WoW clones instead of being innovative.  Why play a clone when you can play the real thing in a more polished enviornment?

At the end of the day though sure you can play whatever you want if it's fun.  I go back and play starflight too every once in a blue moon or Syndicate or the original Deus Ex.  But it doesn't change the fact that when I do I realize quickly that while those were great games for their time they just can't hold the interest because we know how far things have progressed in technology, even despite the cool story lines.  WoW is old news, and archaic...maybe good for nostalgia to pass the time but that's about it.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i think anyone know why WoW still have so many players.

WoW when was release was great, have few competition from some years and the playerbase growth to insane numbers. now  people because have spend lot of time and money just dont want to give up in is characters.

if for some reason all characters were deleted i bet the major of playerbase will go to another MMORPG. most of WoW players dont even bother to try other MMORPG 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

When you're the undisputed leader you dont reschedule around competitors, competitors reschedule around you.

The release date of GW2 will have absolutely no effect on the release date of Pandaria.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Derpybird

If MoP is going to be so good, why would you be worrying about GW2?

And why would Vivendi be looking to sell Activision Blizzard? 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

The fact that GW2 is a single purchase with no costs for subs would suggest that it won't affect any other MMO you might subscribe to, except for time spent playing it. As for MoP's release date, I can't see it changing due to GW 2's release.

I don't know where people get this idea from. Only those like us mmorpg.com mmo addicts 'may' play more than one at a time. I'll bet most of us don't though. The majority of people, those who don't hang around forums like these (in other words over 95% of the mmo player base), will only play one at a time and if GW2 becomes that one they will stop their other subscription. We're not stupid you know, we won't pay for something when we have something better that costs less. If we have more money than we know what to do with we will cancel the old mmo and use that money in the cash shop for GW2 instead. We don't 'need' to, but it makes more sense than paying for another game that we have just replaced.

Whether GW2 will be better long term is yet to be determined but 'if' it is it will definately have some kind of reasonable, if not significant, impact on subscription MMOs and the future of MMOs.

When a AAA MMO launches with no subscription fees it isn't going to affect current subscription MMOs? It's such an absurd statement that people should be embarassed to be using it. If it is of the same or better quality then things are going to change, even if it's just a little.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Yeah, and another thing it tells us is that Blizzard work rather slowly, I just don´t see MOP being launched before oktober earliest.

MOP beta is very clean right now.  Almost every raid boss has been tested.. the heroic dungeons are done, leveling is done. Professions etc.  Pet Battles are still a little borked, but not too bad.

5.0  will come out about a week before GW2.  (august 21ish)  This is the patch that brings all the new talent, glyph and class changes, and will be an especially important patch for tanks to get used to the new system on old, easy content.  It will also bring the story-bridge quests with Theremore.

Maybe the 10th of September will be the actual MOP launch, where you can start leveling to 90.

These are my guesses based on the state of the beta, the leak about the intro cinema etc.  The beta that the AP people are playing on is very stable and nearly finished, but you have to remember that there are two other servers that are even more advanced, there is a F&F server that is at least 2 patches ahead of the AP beta servers, and the internal server which is even further ahead.  The only thing that really needs serious testing is a few raid bosses, and heroic raids which are never really tested that much before launch anyway.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Azrile

5.0  will come out about a week before GW2.  (august 21ish)  This is the patch that brings all the new talent, glyph and class changes, and will be an especially important patch for tanks to get used to the new system on old, easy content.  It will also bring the story-bridge quests with Theremore.

Maybe the 10th of September will be the actual MOP launch, where you can start leveling to 90.

im expecting Q4 for WOP but who knows

I doubt Blizzard is going to release MOP without giving at least 6 weeks notice of a launch date

for WOW Cata, Blizzard allowed a month of prepurchases direct from Blizzard

for Diablo3, Blizzard allowed two months of prepurchases direct from Blizzard

im expecting WOP to allow 1-2 months of direct sales before release

to help generate hype of "Day One" sales which includes all prepurchases

• TurtleDudeTurtleDude Member Posts: 11

I think Blizzard wont push there newest Expansion forward too beat GW2 due too the fact they are trying too get this one right, and not just that they are putting in Old content that has almost been forgotten from the Warcraft Series into WOW. If there is any push forward it would most likely be a Beta for the expansion so they can test it faster and in term get it released sooner.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Azrile

im expecting Q4 for WOP but who knows

I doubt Blizzard is going to release MOP without giving at least 6 weeks notice of a launch date

for WOW Cata, Blizzard allowed a month of prepurchases direct from Blizzard

for Diablo3, Blizzard allowed two months of prepurchases direct from Blizzard

im expecting WOP to allow 1-2 months of direct sales before release

to help generate hype of "Day One" sales which includes all prepurchases

Yeah, I agree with you when you look at it from that point.   about 6 weeks notice, but I am thinking a mid-Sept release, which still gives us another 3 weeks for them to give the release date.   The thing is that 5.0 is just patch and they said will come 3 weeks before MOP.  That brings a lot of distracting stuff.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

When you're the undisputed leader you dont reschedule around competitors, competitors reschedule around you.

The release date of GW2 will have absolutely no effect on the release date of Pandaria.

Funniest crap I ever heard.

WoW is the leader? Of what? SUBS and ONLY Subs. It's quality is already gone. It's fun factor is being challenged.

GW2 does not need to schedule around WOW. WOW is trying to hold on. WoW is 7 1/2 yrs old, GW2 is not released yet and has greater previews and Beta reviews already.

Stop dreaming a hopeless dream.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• RozbuskaRozbuska Member Posts: 8

I just can say:

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

MOP will be the lowest selling wow expansion. I can't understand why someone would buy it, it's the bloody same as all the other..i found that out after buying 2 expansions. nothing new just more raiding and instanced pvp.

• Reaper1122Reaper1122 Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Jessina
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Funniest crap I ever heard.

WoW is the leader? Of what? SUBS and ONLY Subs. It's quality is already gone. It's fun factor is being challenged.

GW2 does not need to schedule around WOW. WOW is trying to hold on. WoW is 7 1/2 yrs old, GW2 is not released yet and has greater previews and Beta reviews already.

Stop dreaming a hopeless dream.

This man has posted so much evidence in his post to support his claims, I think we should all agree with him.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

I do not think Blizz is worried about GW2. IMO they should be more worried about getting MoP out ASAP because of players cancelling their accounts due to sheer boredom from no new content in so long. I personally unsubscribed from WoW awhile ago and won't be back until MoP launches. I also tried GW2, and meh, not something I'm interested in to pass the time until MoP. I'd rather just not play any MMO's at all right now.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

I would willingly, happily - most enthusiastically jump on the "GW2 IS GOLD!" boat - but let's not kid ourselves, chances are it'll be terrible along with MOP and we'll all be SOL regardless.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

If Blizzard are clever, they'll launch MOP around October or November.

By then, there'll be plenty of people who bought GW2 that have reached L80 and realised that they actually miss not having a progression gear grind at endgame. Those people will also have had a payday or 2 since buying GW2, so they'll have some cash to spend. They'll be bored and ripe for the picking...

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If Blizzard are clever, they'll launch MOP around October or November.

By then, there'll be plenty of people who bought GW2 that have reached L80 and realised that they actually miss not having a progression gear grind at endgame. Those people will also have had a payday or 2 since buying GW2, so they'll have some cash to spend. They'll be bored and ripe for the picking...

http://us.battle.net/en/int?r=wow

They're not.

9/25/12