Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is still on the fence considering to buy this game?

2»

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Not really on the fence, I was halfway considering purchase after the beta trial weekend but have decided to wait till it is F2P with no box purchase. I really don't think I would play it enough to justify box purchase and a sub fee. I did purchase GWII which I am also iffy about but at least it was only a box purchase, so at worst that is all I am out of if it does not "grab" me

I miss DAoC

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd
    Originally posted by tares
    Originally posted by angzt

whoever claims that game doesnt have alot of content is plain and simple wrong.

you can rush through every content, skyrim was completed in 4 hours, you wanna tell me skyrim had no content?

hell, mario even was completed in 10 mins i think.

That was my point, it is a single player RPG, sell it that way. People have finished every quest and filled out the entire skill wheel. That is FULL completion and it has only been two weeks.  Is strange though when this game gets props in the OP for having "plenty" content.  Quantity of content is objective, so 60 to 80 hours may be plenty. Maybe I expect to much from MASSIVE MO games. 

Yes it has as much content as a single player RPG. It is a pretty average RPG though.

This game has plenty of issues I don't mention, so I'm not out for blood. It just happens to be my most recent MMO, when I pick up another one will go over there.

[mod edit] According to http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/ nobody has finished the skill wheel and the guy at #100 has just finished 47% of it. Most people are probably between 10% and 30% complete now. The guy with the most xp has probably been busting his ass 16 hours a day since June 29th taking the missions and killing the mobs that give most xp.  Thats 20 days of insane power gaming or 320 hours which is more than I work in two months. And he still hasn't been able to get all the abilities.

The best part of it? The game still doesn't feel like a grind to people who just play the game, do missions, dungeons, lairs or PvP. There is a lot of horizontal progression that makes it cool to get new abilities, but not really necessary.

Want to know why he has not finished it.  You have to repeat every freaking mission or constantly grind SH to get xp.  You think he is doing new missions everyday or something.   I guarantee he has to repeat every Egypt/Transylvania mission or do SH back to back just to get a good chunk of xp.  Only way I'm actually gaining any decent amount of xp.  http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Oci  Go to agartha, if people are not spamming for NM runs, they are spamming for SH speed runs.

Yes you need to repeate missions to fill out the skill wheel...only if you ignore hardmode dungeons and pvp of couse.

Quit pretending the only thing to do in the game is missions, its not working.  

Find a new straw man please, majority of the game is no where near completing content, the few people who raced to endgame are the same people that race to endgame in every mmo then complain about a lack of content.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by BigRock411

you can rush through every content, skyrim was completed in 4 hours, you wanna tell me skyrim had no content?

That was my point, it is a single player RPG, sell it that way. People have finished every quest and filled out the entire skill wheel. That is FULL completion and it has only been two weeks.  Is strange though when this game gets props in the OP for having "plenty" content.  Quantity of content is objective, so 60 to 80 hours may be plenty. Maybe I expect to much from MASSIVE MO games. 

Yes it has as much content as a single player RPG. It is a pretty average RPG though.

This game has plenty of issues I don't mention, so I'm not out for blood. It just happens to be my most recent MMO, when I pick up another one will go over there.

[mod edit] According to http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/ nobody has finished the skill wheel and the guy at #100 has just finished 47% of it. Most people are probably between 10% and 30% complete now. The guy with the most xp has probably been busting his ass 16 hours a day since June 29th taking the missions and killing the mobs that give most xp.  Thats 20 days of insane power gaming or 320 hours which is more than I work in two months. And he still hasn't been able to get all the abilities.

The best part of it? The game still doesn't feel like a grind to people who just play the game, do missions, dungeons, lairs or PvP. There is a lot of horizontal progression that makes it cool to get new abilities, but not really necessary.

Want to know why he has not finished it.  You have to repeat every freaking mission or constantly grind SH to get xp.  You think he is doing new missions everyday or something.   I guarantee he has to repeat every Egypt/Transylvania mission or do SH back to back just to get a good chunk of xp.  Only way I'm actually gaining any decent amount of xp.  http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Oci  Go to agartha, if people are not spamming for NM runs, they are spamming for SH speed runs.

Yes you need to repeate missions to fill out the skill wheel...only if you ignore hardmode dungeons and pvp of couse.

Find a new straw man please, majority of the game is no where near completing content, the few people who raced to endgame are the same people that race to endgame in every mmo then complain about a lack of content.

Did you even read my post?  SH = Slaughter House - the last elite dungeon in the game that gives good xp.  People speed run it to gain xp.  NM = Nightmare mode - which equals your hardmode.  You cannot progress any further than those dungeons and people have completed all of them. ( I will also be joining those ranks soon also.)  Also, NM have lockout timers so you cannot keep running them back to back in the first place.  I can tell you have not even started on even becoming attuned to even do the NM dungeons.  You do not even know the acronyms for them.   People are forced to do constant dungeon runs and constantly repeat missions if the do not wish to participate in the mediocre pvp.

If people are forced to pvp to advanced then the game is light on content on the pve side

BOOYAKA!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

If people are forced to pvp to advanced then the game is light on content on the pve side

Bullshit.  Playing 16-20 hours a day straight with no job and no life does not equal 'light' on content.  These same people are going to hit level 80 in GW2 in a week.  The normal player will takes months if not longer to fill out the entire ability wheel.

• nGumbeinGumbei Member Posts: 33

I have always had, really great times playing the game .. however, I kinda agree with the people saying that is is not quite an MMO. The real focus is absolutly on the story line and the missions connected to it. Other go kill x from v are jsut usual and I can´t really call the experience doing these quests for a special one. I can´t really say, either, that I would have enjoyed TSW without its story. So basically, it is a really special and different game, however .. it had much in common with TOR, when you are done with the story, you would prob want to leave, not everyone thought.

MMOs have some really important ideals like open world and a life where you can really hear yourself breathing. Someone who is calling this game for a real MMO has prob not seen UO and all the other bunch of games that gave the genre its name. I am not saying that there are that many games that can be called MMOs nowadays, I am just saying, that the game´s focus in on actually on sotry and single-player mode. Just having the ability is to fight and interact with other players isn´t enough to call a game an MMO, the game must really focus on making many players work together, the most of the time.

When it comes to end-game, the most content usually have something to do with combat and combat isn´t really TSW´s big pros.

Originally posted by nGumbei
    the game must really focus on making many players work together, the most of the time.

Curious as to what UO offered in this arena.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Bullshit.  Playing 16-20 hours a day straight with no job and no life does not equal 'light' on content.  These same people are going to hit level 80 in GW2 in a week.  The normal player will takes months if not longer to fill out the entire ability wheel.

Right now the top 100 players - #100 has 61% completion rate.  That means 101-200k + players have less than that at this point.  If the game was light on content, all top 100 people would have 100% completion right now.

No one has to play 16-20 hours a day, why the hell are you exaggerating.  I play 2-4 hours after work and finished up with the stories.  Main reason might be because I played the game like an mmo and actually grouped up and completed content with others.  Sorry that you might not be able to do that and you move through the game more slowly than me.  It is what it is.

Also,  I feel sorry for people that want to keep filling out the skill wheel that only want to do pve,  but there is 100% truth behind that statement of redoing old missions and grind dungeons to progress once the story is finished.  

BOOYAKA!

• Originally posted by BigRock411

You can get pretty decent XP grinding on mobs and FAR FAR FAR more good loot.

• TaeranTaeran Member Posts: 8

I played the beta but I'm not convinced of the questing and battle system. Sure I love to swing around my katana or shoot my twin pistols; heck, I even played the Secret War for all the items and the Seals, but at the end, not my cup of tea. 

If the game goes F2P someday I'll play for sure. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

If you are on the fence about TSW you should probably just stop playing MMOs.

Best MMORPG to come out in 10yrs and the only one truly a MMORPG since Vanilla WOW.

I have done more in TSW than any other game I can recall and still haven't finish the content.

Story and world is the best that has ever been done.

Each his own I guess.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

If you are on the fence about TSW you should probably just stop playing MMOs.

Best MMORPG to come out in 10yrs and the only one truly a MMORPG since Vanilla WOW.

I have done more in TSW than any other game I can recall and still haven't finish the content.

Story and world is the best that has ever been done.

Well i love mmorpgs and have played them all (pretty much) and TSW is a mess and hardly an mmo at all. If you love mmos, don't play this game. If you love this game, your preferred genre is more likely single player RPGs and you probably should stop playing 'mmos'.

Best mmorpg in 10 years? Lol. Oh dear. [mod edit]

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

Wow, mod edits and deleted users.  Must have been a good ride!

I'm, still on the fence about buying this and I own the game, if that makes sense.  It is entertaining enough that I play it, but when I can't get past a story line mission because of a bug the frustration is enough for me to /log.  I've been playing casual thus for though.  I enjoy the class I've made myself (blood/swords) and have been able to swap into a few groups.

Thus far it is just meh, I'll resub for 1 month but I've had a more polished experience in the GW2 BWEs than at this games launch.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by xDayx
    Originally posted by Vutar

Has been two or three patches now.

Chat is still broken, though not as severely as it was.

Quests they say are fixed, still aren't. (the frustrating thing is they will work for some and not others)

Gearmanager still doesn't work. (an essential thing for a game that relies on build switching)

Still no auction house.

PvP is beyond repair at this point.  The faction imbalance is so great it is hopeless. 

Numerous glitches and bugs in instances. 

These are only a few of the issues the game has but what is the most frustating of it all is how many things the patches claim are fixed, but they aren't. Even the diehards on the official forum are getting fed up.

If you are still "on the fence" I would recommend staying there for awhile still or jumping off on the "do no buy." side. I can only assume that people who say "it was a smooth launch" are referring to server stability only. In its current condition this game is not worthy paying a sub for. You would be better off waiting 6 months or so and seeing if anyone is left.

I havent ran into a broken quest yet and been playing for about 2 weeks.

then you got lucky as ive run into about 4 now that were bugged . But to speak up on funcoms behalf the CSR's will allow you a limited number of free passes where they will push you past the stage thats bugged and they usually answer your ticket within the hour , ive had some answer within about 5 mins of posting it . Good customer service in game IMO But yeah a buggy launch for sure is a lot of stuff thats pretty messed up right now with the game. Its def playable but if your easily frustrated with bugs and such wait til the big patch in less then two weeks.

The quests that I've ran across that were "bugged" fixed themselves within a minute or two. Someone has said that it has something to do with the last person who completed it. If that person is still close enough to the area, the event or stap won't progress until they move away. Having multiple people trying to do the same quest doesn't help either.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Or people just don't see the point as in their eyes GW2 will trump TSW to the ground and don't see the merit of spending 60-90 dollars on a game that will only last a month or so.

Each to his own I guess

Thanks for the laugh. 

@ OP: I'm enjoying myself but it's not for everybody. If you hate games with a challenge or think that voice overs and cut scenes don't belong in MMOs then I'd suggest skipping it. This game won't hold your hand to endgame and the skills and ability wheel take some getting use to.  However, if you're looking for something different than another easy level themepark then I recomend giving it a shot. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Or people just don't see the point as in their eyes GW2 will trump TSW to the ground and don't see the merit of spending 60-90 dollars on a game that will only last a month or so.

Each to his own I guess

too bad GW2 PvE/ storyline is crap compared to TSW.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

i refuse to buy from funcom but if someones gifts me a game code i might play and sub for the hell of it, (As if anyone would throw away $50 for a stranger) lol funcom is terrible when it comes to refunds and customer service in general...but i could play the game then completely erase my debit info from their site this time if i wanted to quit....

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

I was on the fence as I was always disappointed in AoC (at least when it was released). I was late to get interested in TSW simply because it's Funcom.

For me, it's the best MMO I've played. I was still enjoying TERA when I picked up my copy but haven't played a minute since I got TSW. I really love the quests and the world is interesting and original. I also like the way you can pick skills you want and then spend the AP to get the skills in the order you chose.

Even though I can read, and enjoy animated films, in every other MMO I just click, click, click through the all quests. In TSW, for whatever reason, they've actually got my interest. I actually feel involved in the story, and I've not felt like that since FFXI.

Originally posted by Miner-2049er
    and I've not felt like that since FFXI.

I've heard this a lot lately.  I have never played that game, but hearing this over and over again makes me wish I had gotten into it.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Each to his own I guess

too bad there wasn't more to TSW then storyline ....if I wanted a good story I'd read a book ...if I wanted to play a good MMO I'd play something else

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Baddogbill

Each to his own I guess

too bad there wasn't more to TSW then storyline ....if I wanted a good story I'd read a book ...if I wanted to play a good MMO I'd play something else

Im still on the fence myself, stuck traveling for work this summer havnt had a chance to play much.    I like what I see but the skill system still confuses the heck out of me.     Mind you I havnt looked at it much but after getting used to being put in a box I have forgotten how to play out side it.  

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

So is this a lobby game? Or is it free roaming?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by monarc333

So is this a lobby game? Or is it free roaming?

It's a themepark with free-roaming zones just like most other current MMO's. But the zones are more open than SW:TOR though, because in TOR the zone design often channels you to specific content. In TSW you choose where you want to go and what you want to do when.

It is very definitely NOT a lobby game, lol