Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would YOU grind for cosmetic gear?

Comments

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

Voted yes, but only because I understand "grind" in this context to mean "play content repeatedly". In most games grinding is boring or frustrating because of ease, time required, or really low droprates.

In GW2 I'll probably end up with quite a bit of cosmetic gear just by playing normally (for me, that is). Depending on what all is required to make legendary gear I might go for some of it too. If it's fun, I will, if it's not, I won't. I'm over "grinding" boring, repetitive, frustrating crap and I think lots of others are as well.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I like grinding when I don't feel like I have to do it.   I don't even consider it "grinding" most of the time in those situations.

Stuff where I can drop it and come back later to continue if I want, I like that stuff.

I also like spending money in F2P games when I don't feel like I have to do so.  

• Faramir76Faramir76 Member Posts: 5

Certainly will.Just of curiosity tried a cosmetic outfit for my burglar in LOTRO more than year ago and then it started...Right know have 7 charsx6 outfits each,different items in many colours,90 wardrobe slots,354 dyes in bank etc :)Huge fan of cosmetic system and dont mind spending many hours in so-called "grinding" in GW2 in attempt to get the right looking armour piece.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Already doing it in TSW so yeah i have no problem grinding for cosmetic stuff in GW2.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

It wouldn't be a huge driving force, but if there were some items that I really wanted, then sure...why not?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by gessekai332

Just wondering how many of you would invest hours into PvE/PvP to get gear that looks awesome but has the same stats as common equipment. Personally if I saw someone with awesome gear in PvP i would still see them as a huge threat. Not because i know his gear is stronger than mine, its because he has probably played long enough to know how to literally wipe the floor with my ass.

What do you guys think?

Actually I would not, and even after extensive pvping (which I always do) and unlocked the pvp amror looks I would not wear it unless for guild social occasions.

I always dress down for pvp. I don't want people to identify me as a threat in pvp at the first glance. Smart people hides their true strength so to confuse the enemies - and to hustle the crap out of them :P

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

Just wondering how many of you would invest hours into PvE/PvP to get gear that looks awesome but has the same stats as common equipment. Personally if I saw someone with awesome gear in PvP i would still see them as a huge threat. Not because i know his gear is stronger than mine, its because he has probably played long enough to know how to literally wipe the floor with my ass.

What do you guys think?

Yes, I shall have my legendary weapons and full Arah gear until I'm satisfied.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Of course not.  What an incredible waste of time.  Gw2 is famed for not having grind though; right?

Sometimes I get the feeling that you guys will say anything to justify your love for Gw2.  I mean come on... spending hours of your time for gear that just looks different so you can show off or whatever... really... all of you would do that?  I'm sure some will but I refuse to believe everyone above will.  I'm sure some of you are just doing that "this is part of the game I like, so I must like everything about it" thing.

This could be true under the assumption that I HATE grinding/investing time. I don't. I mind grinding IF what I'm grinding for loses value 1 month down the line (ie. new Tier comes in) or is a necessary prerequisite for something else (usually a raid) but serves no other purpose. If neither of the above are the case, then I don't mind grinding for something that sets my toon apart. So no, i don't have to like everything about it, but I can choose to do it if I wish. 

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I will and have not had a problem in the past with grind of any sort, so long as it is disguised better and is somewhat fun and not just something to suck up time and keep me on the hook so I can fork out sub money. I beleive in working for things I want and some things should be tougher to obtain. Makes achieving it all the more sweeter. As a former FFXI player, I can say grind doesn't phase me.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

What do you guys think?

Actually I would not, and even after extensive pvping (which I always do) and unlocked the pvp amror looks I would not wear it unless for guild social occasions.

I always dress down for pvp. I don't want people to identify me as a threat in pvp at the first glance. Smart people hides their true strength so to confuse the enemies - and to hustle the crap out of them :P

Actually I hope they have a "beggar" outfit. Then no one will expect me killing them at all :D.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Really only if its fun to do.

I would not grind Gear with armor stats if its too boring and antisocial and i would not do it for Cosmetic gear either.

I need a fun group of friends and a fun event than i would do it multiple times no matter if for Stats or Cosmetic gear i prolly would only do it just for fun.

I would never join a pure raiding guild and grind boring content with almost strangers over and over again no matter the reward.

So yeah it really depends on the activity and the community if both is ok i would do it.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

Why not? I don't mind the grind too much. And if I can look fabulous and kill things all at the same time, bonus. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Depends if i like the game enough after this beta weekend. :)
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Without the need to grind for the required gear for raiding, we finally have all the time to get the items we really want. I always liked the challenge to get something special that fits my character or not everybody has.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

Hell ya. Whatever makes my necro even more badass looking.

• HybridvampyrHybridvampyr Member Posts: 61

I like to Grind and if someone wants to reward me with cool looking items regardless of stats for doing so then count me in!

Rep grinds/Mob grinds/Dungeon Grinds i love it all!

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Of course not.  What an incredible waste of time.  Gw2 is famed for not having grind though; right?

Sometimes I get the feeling that you guys will say anything to justify your love for Gw2.  I mean come on... spending hours of your time for gear that just looks different so you can show off or whatever... really... all of you would do that?  I'm sure some will but I refuse to believe everyone above will.  I'm sure some of you are just doing that "this is part of the game I like, so I must like everything about it" thing.

I did it in GW1. There are a few of us that have been trying to correct the "GW2 has no grind" statment though. It definitely has a grind for cosmetic gear and achievements just like GW1. What it doesn't have is gated content.

+1

I don't consider it grinding when I WANT to play parts of a game again and again. I consider it a grind when i am FORCED to, otherwise my gear is completely obsolete. Also, of course I would spend hours of time for gear that just looks different! Heck, I played Mario Kart for a year and a half with my roommate/friends during college, 4ish hours a day, just to get better and better times, and mostly because the game was fun! I play the same maps again and again in FPS games, because the games are fun, not because I'm getting more powerful or because the content is new and different, but because I'm having fun. Same way with GW2, I have been having a blast the 100+ hours I've played it since closed beta, and I don't see that fun disappearing any time soon (especially since ive only touched like 3% of the game).

If you don't think the game is fun, I don't see why one would play it. And if you think a game is fun, don't let others deter you. :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont like any form of grind but i voted Yes because grinding for cosmetics is much better than grinding to be competitive

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Hybridvampyr

I like to Grind and if someone wants to reward me with cool looking items regardless of stats for doing so then count me in!

Judging by that comment, i don't think GW2 is for you....at all ;)

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

Some games report that the sale of 'fashion' items is the biggest money maker from cash shops.

I actually have a life besides gaming, so I am not going to grind for anything. I have done it in the past, but, grinding now for me is a case of "been there, done that." 

I am so amazed that Arenanet removed grinding for OP gear from the sPVP picture. I think that decision is one of the coolest things they have done.

Anarchy Online, when they introduced a cash shop, promised to not sell power etc., but recently the AO cash shop has on sale  the skins for the some of the best armor is the game.  Just to clarify, they are just skins worn 'over' your real armor, so you still only have he stats of your real armor. 

What once could only be worn by someone who had completed one of the hardest dungeons in the game, is now available, at least cosmetically, for a small fee. 

I am not suggesting that Arenanet witll do the same thing.  Untill the game launches no one knows for sure what kinds of stuff will be in the cash shop, but I think it is highly likely they will sell fashion items.

So if you want to grind for cosmetics, please do, be my guest.

Me, I am going to play for fun, run dungeons only when I want to, not some arbitrary number of times.  If I want to look differnet or cool,  I will use the cash shop to scratch that itch.

I am looking forward to seeing how this whole experiment plays out.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by xalvi
    Originally posted by Hybridvampyr

Judging by that comment, i don't think GW2 is for you....at all ;)

I'd say it's the perfect game for him then.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

No, not unless it was something I really wanted, which would depend on the item or set.

I'm more likely to grind for materials and wealth or focus on progression.  I do the same in GW1 and get costumes from the item shop if appearance is an issue.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Xeno326Xeno326 Member UncommonPosts: 77

I would rather grind for it (complete a quest, quest chain, achievement, public event, etc) and have that option to obtain cosmetic gear in game + have the option to buy it in a cashshop for the people who are impatient and don't want to do the grind, rather than just have it only available in a cashshop with no in-game option of obtaining the gear. Because when you have items only in a cashshop, you're only rewarding the "gimme gimme" people and not giving anyone in game the option to obtain it through hard work.

For example Tera has very few cosmetic items for rewards in game, they only reward the impatient "gimme gimme" people via cashshop and neglect cosmetic rewards for players who actually pay for a subscription.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Yep, gotta look good while on G2 TV
    , uh when they add it that is.
  • kafka1984kafka1984 Member Posts: 83
    The guy/girl with the awesome shiny epic or legendary gear in PvP or WvWvW all basically did everyone a favor by painting a giant target over their own heads.

Although I suppose it would be terribly embarrassing to be owned by someone wielding a Unicorn Rainbow Bow.

Roll the Dice