Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF game with strong immersive story.

joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Hey guys,

Currently I'm kinda bored and dunno what to play. I'm waiting for a few games to come out but thats still a while.

So to fill my time I'm looking for a game of any genre from mmo to shooter with a strong immersive, intriguing and if possible mysterious story.

I'm a fan of sci-fi and fantasy mostly, but open to others aswell. Just no horror, not my cup of tea.

Things I already played are

ME series, kotor, dragon age series.

I don't mind if a game has less graphics but it still has to be something. I find it hard to immerse myself in a pixel game.

Comments

• BrimstonelovBrimstonelov Member UncommonPosts: 17

People either despise this game, or love it for a lifetime, but the best storyline I've found thus far, has been in Final fantasy XI.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Witcher 1+2

Deus EX + HR

Are you averse to point and click adventures?

Because the blackwell series is top and so is Gemini Rue.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

SWTOR, TSW, or GW2. Pick a story based on what you prefer. All of them play more like RPGs rather than standard MMOs, so one should tickle your itch.

OR if you want a single player game, I would recommend Skyrim, FO:3, or the witcher 1 or 2.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Brimstonelov

People either despise this game, or love it for a lifetime, but the best storyline I've found thus far, has been in Final fantasy XI.

Final fantasy XI. is a good game,

also if you like try the Secret world,  it has a pretty good story also! =D

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by joeri123

Hey guys,

Currently I'm kinda bored and dunno what to play. I'm waiting for a few games to come out but thats still a while.

So to fill my time I'm looking for a game of any genre from mmo to shooter with a strong immersive, intriguing and if possible mysterious story.

I'm a fan of sci-fi and fantasy mostly, but open to others aswell. Just no horror, not my cup of tea.

Things I already played are

ME series, kotor, dragon age series.

I don't mind if a game has less graphics but it still has to be something. I find it hard to immerse myself in a pixel game.

If "Strong story" is your own criteria, then The Secret World is quite possibly the greatest MMO ever made. 

LoTRO is also amazing for story.  

Both of those games have a variety of issues/problems, but if immersion and story are what you're after, they're definitely the best on the market.  Fallen Earth is quite good also, but tiny in terms of population.

Since other people have mentioned it - TOR is very much focused on story, unfortunately that story and the writing and the world around are quite poor.  So there is A LOT of story in it, that story just sucks.   GW2's story is extremely generic, but the world feel is nice with stuff constantly going on around.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Well this is just my oppinion but i also love immersive story in games/mmorpgs . I think the secret world has the best story /feeling from all mmorpg games i did play since eq 1 . Weird thing is i didnt even like the game at first but after a few hours i did get more and more into it. Anyway hope you find what you are looking for :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Guild Wars 2 that is coming up

The Secret World

Lord of the Rings Online

I actually like Star Wars the Old Republic and enjoyed my story very much so I will put in a bid for that.

The Original Dragon Age

The Witcher 1 and 2

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nikooo0nikooo0 Member Posts: 25

Yeah definately have a look at lord of the rings online, really good game, the combat animations are a little iffy, but the storyline kept me playing for a very long time. Check it out!

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Skyrim to me is the best on the list of SPRPG, with witcher1 + 2 second. If it s an MMO you re looking for, FFXI has an absolutely amazing story, through missions etc. Others I would mention are SWTOR, and LOTRO.

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Thanks for the replies so far.

I havn't followed TSW but i'm reading positive things about it so I might check it out. Although I don't really want to spend 

the money on the box :(

Maybe I should finish Skyrim since I only played it a few hours. But then again, It didn't grab my attention and didn't feel immersed into it. I guess i'm wierd? :p

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Alan Wake is great, its horror though, but the story is so good.  The Witcher 2 has an amazing story, I love it.  TSW does have a good story, but yeah it's pricey.  I know you don't like horror, but I picked up The Walking Dead recently, great story.  It's based on the T.V. show, it's a point and click type of game though, not too much action.

Whatever you do, realize that Steam is having their annual summer sale, loads of cheap games on sale all the way until July 22nd!  Looking at what's on sale today, L.A. Noire has a wonderful story too, very immersive.  I loved the game, although I am from Los Angeles, and the game hit home for me.

http://store.steampowered.com/

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by joeri123

Thanks for the replies so far.

I havn't followed TSW but i'm reading positive things about it so I might check it out. Although I don't really want to spend 

the money on the box :(

Maybe I should finish Skyrim since I only played it a few hours. But then again, It didn't grab my attention and didn't feel immersed into it. I guess i'm wierd? :p

TSW definately fits the bill, especially the mysterious story part.

Alan Wake would be a good bet as well I think, but it's kinda horror so I suppose so might not be for you.

Bioshock 1+2 are pretty good.

Dark Souls could be something you will like, it's not heavy on 'story' but it's definately mysterious and very immersive, might surprise you.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas might be worth a look. I wasn't hooked on Skyrim, like you, but I was with Fallout, even though the gameplay is similar the story and setting arn't.

Red Dead Redemption is a pretty immersive game with decent story telling. Worth checking out if the western theme doesn't put you off.

Game Of Throne RPG isn't so bad either, especially if you are there for the story.

L.A Noire is 75% off in the steam sale and is definately a bargin at that price (the complete collection is the better offer). Real world though so that might not appeal.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Thanks all. I picked up LA noire + DLC's on steam for 10 bucks. I will try TSW when it's cheaper. 

• DanrleiDanrlei Member Posts: 28

Cant think of anything that matches your description OP.