Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rich Vogel Out at BioWare, Additional Layoffs Rumored

Comments

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Its not a Curse.

LucasArts is entirely to blame.

They're a horrible company now.  the 90s was their golden age.

That's not true. What will happen if 1313 is a mega hit and sells millions of copies, will LA be the giant fail you clam they are.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    It really is a shame that so many people lost their jobs and so many more are to follow. If the guys at the top had done right by the fans / players this thing could have went to the moon.
  • EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

The problem with MMO these days is that they are so expensive they have to be designed and produced by committee.  Said committee bases it decisions on lowest-common denominator marketing surveys.  Then, to avoid all risk, the suits leech out whatever life and sponteneity remains.  You end up with a colorful husk - a Frankenstein patched together by old retread ideas.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Updated with comment from EA!

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

They need to axe the doctors, both of them. After the way I heard them talk about ME3 and how they said this game would be so great as a WoW clone, they are entirely the ones to blame. I hope they send those two packing. They need to send those two out of the game industry entirely. At the end of the day the leaders are the ones responsible and that is those two.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

oh did they threaten you to remove the body of the post? typical

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57

As a themepark-hater, I find this brilliant news.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

I knew this game was destined for failure when:

1) Got invited to beta that apparently would start in a week

2) Downloaded the 30+ gig beta client two days before the event, to be sure I got the relatively "newest" version

3) Got a message from EA-Bioware on the evening of the beta (it was scheduled to only start in the evening) that the 30+ gig beta client was corrupt and that all beta testers must now download a new 30+ gig beta client. Beta is rescheduled to a few days later.

A corrupted beta client sitting on their server for download for a entire week, left unchecked/tested until the day of the beta.

Even though I hadn't seen the game yet, my heart sank with the knowledge that only an amateur dev team could make that kind of mistake.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

In an interview with James Ohlen on Dec 12th, 2011:

We're also not shrinking the content team at all, and we have a huge content team. Our content team is essentially bigger than… well… I'll just say we have a big content team, how about that! [laughs] We have a very big content team and those guys will continue to work on delivering a regular cadence of high-level content....

...To tell you the truth, for example, usually at this stage of a project, when I was finishing up Baldur's Gate II, I was already working on Neverwinter Nights. When I was finishing Neverwinter Nights, I was already working on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I don't even have a one page document on a new project at this point! There's nothing! There's nothing in my future! [laughs] It's a little bit sad - I'd like to have something to look forward to! But right now, it's Star Wars all the time. That will be my life for the next several years...

Originally posted by Denambren

2) Downloaded the 30+ gig beta client two days before the event, to be sure I got the relatively "newest" version

3) Got a message from EA-Bioware on the evening of the beta (it was scheduled to only start in the evening) that the 30+ gig beta client was corrupt and that all beta testers must now download a new 30+ gig beta client. Beta is rescheduled to a few days later.

A corrupted beta client sitting on their server for download for a entire week, left unchecked/tested until the day of the beta.

Even though I hadn't seen the game yet, my heart sank with the knowledge that only an amateur dev team could make that kind of mistake.

Glad you remembered that .. I remember it too!

Originally posted by Grotar89

Where are TOR fanboys now? When I said before release this game will fail hard and GW2 will own it in every possible way ppl laughed.

WELL, Who is laughing now !!!!???

You fail to realize that TOR fan does not equal GW2 fan.  I personally don't like GW2's P2W system with potions (+ attack, +def) or whatever, if they go through with that.  There will be a rebuttle to this, but it still exists.  WoW never had this, and thats a good marker.

edit:

I got a nudge from a friend that everyone can obtain these buffs (without spending RL money), but it will take a lot of time.  Take a lot of time for a buff to be competitive with PVE or just buy them... WTF.  I do understand that they can't be used in PVP, which might be a minior blessing.

The whole idea of freaking buying buffs instead of playing for them is f'd up from the start.  I don't like this.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by unfettered
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

This is what happens when you fail to make a good game.

not true(or not so simple). this is what happens when you spend a boatload making a not so good game, respond unfavorably to tester feedback, don't have endgame tested, keep up a NDA till a month before launch, release patches untested, don't use your test servers until after half your players quit for good, and then hype every patch while only at best 50% of what you promised actually makes it live.

QFT

I really hope Zenimax is watching the car crash going on at Bioware-EA and think again about releasing their generic TES MMO as it is now.

Before Bioware, the same fate hit Mythic and its boss Mark Jacobs (Matt Firor ex collegue).

Player are tired of generic WOW clones with a twist....................they want the twist, but not the WOW bit.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by MikeB

Updated with comment from EA!

Thanks.

Glad to hear they'll be helping people to find  a new job. Not perfect but at least that's a start.

Best luck to all the people that were hit by the tsunami.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Considering Lucas Arts is responsible for "That Which Shall Not Be Named" I put my blame on them.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Karteli

Where are TOR fanboys now? When I said before release this game will fail hard and GW2 will own it in every possible way ppl laughed.

You fail to realize that TOR fan does not equal GW2 fan.  I personally don't like GW2's P2W system with potions (+ attack, +def) or whatever, if they go through with that.  There will be a rebuttle to this, but it still exists.  WoW never had this, and thats a good marker.

edit:

I got a nudge from a friend that everyone can obtain these buffs (without spending RL money), but it will take a lot of time.  Take a lot of time for a buff to be competitive with PVE or just buy them... WTF.  I do understand that they can't be used in PVP, which might be a minior blessing.

You dont need buff to be competative in PvE and its not P2W, next time when u type smth better read up about game before u comment it.

edit:

You dont need buff to be competative in PvE and its not P2W, next time when u type smth better read up about game before u comment it.

I believe I did, that's why I said what I said.  Can you say otherwise?

I gave all my rathionalle, and all you got to say is no no no, all wrong /end.

You aren't gaining any credibility.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The good news is EA will continue to push out HIGH QUALITY NEW CONTENT FASTER!

lolololololololololololol

"Less people means we can make things faster, guyz! lawlertardhelmetson!"

Its the same as when you watch the evening news and you see how another thug was killed in a gang shooting and then his family comes on and talks about how good of a kid he was and how he was always so nice and not into anything bad.

Someone "important" gets fired and EA says its a good thing and that this will lead to more good things and that only good(tim) will come of this.

So fear not!, ye faithful subscribers!

• patsfan32patsfan32 Member Posts: 31

edit:

I think his point was P2W is not really relevant in PVE, its more a PVP issue. You can clear the content just the same without these buffs and if someone in ur group does happen to use them then that just helps you out really. You cant really pay to win in PVE, you can either buy it and kill a little quicker or not but if someone else does that it does not impact your game one bit really.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    *snip*     "...new players and new ways to play."

i smell full free to play transition soon.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Well, as long as their coders are layed off I won't shed a tear; latest patch killed the client for many players. Now on my 7th player created work-around, hope this one works. Judging from the SWTOR forum thread on this the players diagnosed the problem before Bioware did.
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by Castillle

Considering Lucas Arts is responsible for "That Which Shall Not Be Named" I put my blame on them.

Uhhh....

That is really disturbing.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Although this will come across as rude and uncaring (I dont like when people lose their Jobs...) ....GOOD.

We need an MMO crash similar to the Video Game crash of the 1980s. We need these Single Player RPGs with multiplayer lobbies and "Story Mode" to  go away- They are not MORPGS. Damn, could you even imagine a KOTOR RPG in a "WORLD"?

TES MMO is the next to fail and could potentially be the CRASH we need. A good I.P. being milked for all its worth is PATHETIC- We need good games and this will NOT happen until these WOW clone MMOs with hge budgets begin to fall like dominos. 

EDIT: With the budget they had and the Star Wars I.P.- How could we be served this abomination? Seriously????  With the Money and the I.P. we could have seen the genre advance by leaps and bounds- This COULD have been the "Wow Killer" and set the standard for this new decade- This could have been the Game everyone starts to clone, the barometer of success- 

WTF were they thinking?

Originally posted by patsfan32

edit:

I think his point was P2W is not really relevant in PVE, its more a PVP issue. You can clear the content just the same without these buffs and if someone in ur group does happen to use them then that just helps you out really. You cant really pay to win in PVE, you can either buy it and kill a little quicker or not but if someone else does that it does not impact your game one bit really.

Well, since PVE has a huge impact on GW2, I'd say it's not a minor effect that the game offers a Cash Shop bonus.  At max level those with the paid for buffs will be in demand for groups.  They will be wanted for players capable of doing a world boss, for instance.

I like many F2P games with fluff items, but I DO NOT LIKE games with a bonus to general game play that can be paid for.  I consider PVE content in GW2 to be general game play... it's stuff that I would do on a day to day basis.

If others paid for the same day to day that I experience, I would be really slighted.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    One game does not a crash make. They just put all their eggs in one basket, and the people who failed to achieve impossible goals are being let go. Along with a bunch of innocent people.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

When I saw this, I actually pointed at the screen and laughed like Nelson Muntz from the Simpsons.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

This is what happens when you fail to make a good game.

this is what happens when your company gets bought out by a big pubisher, they did this to a few other developers too. Blame should be on EA, for the debacle of swotor, and lucasarts, with blame on the core systems of the game on bioware. Sad but this reality is a shame, 150$ mil for development was overkill, sad we didnt get a better product.