Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We looked to World of Warcraft.

124»

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Belarion

With FF11 it was proven that FF fans do not enjoy the MMO genre en masse.

The MMO genre has changed since 2002.

XI was so time consuming and punishing, it's no surprise it did not receive mainstream success among the fans.

While the MMO/XI purists can find a lot to nitpick about XIV's direction, we'll see what the mainstream thinks of it. It should be needless to say, though, that what an XI player (or even an MMO player) thinks is hardly what the general FF fan thinks about how the game should be. Indeed, the general FF fan did not enjoy XI, and it is questionable how large of a portion of the demographic has enjoyed an MMO before. XI was a niche game, though a successful one for it's time.

It is no surprise that word of mouth is abysmal and the general reaction is poor. 2.0 isn't even out. You are jumping to conclusions again, thinking that there will be no positive word of mouth and reviews if 2.0 turns out to be enjoyable and something that an FF fan wants to play (which is not necessarily something that an XI/MMO fan wants to play).

Especially the Japanese playerbase may have no interest in a setting like WoW's, but would enjoy similar experience in a Final Fantasy setting. It is quite distinctive, after all, and the producer is taking full use of it, marketing the game using summons, chocobos, traditional jobs, and the like.

Your opinion regarding the game and it's direction does not ensure it's failure or success. It could be a personal failure, which is honestly too bad for you.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

With FF11 it was proven that FF fans do not enjoy the MMO genre en masse.

The MMO genre has changed since 2002.

XI was so time consuming and punishing, it's no surprise it did not receive mainstream success among the fans.

While the MMO/XI purists can find a lot to nitpick about XIV's direction, we'll see what the mainstream thinks of it. It should be needless to say, though, that what an XI player (or even an MMO player) thinks is hardly what the general FF fan thinks about how the game should be. Indeed, the general FF fan did not enjoy XI, and it is questionable how large of a portion of the demographic has enjoyed an MMO before. XI was a niche game, though a successful one for it's time.

It is no surprise that word of mouth is abysmal and the general reaction is poor. 2.0 isn't even out. You are jumping to conclusions again, thinking that there will be no positive word of mouth and reviews if 2.0 turns out to be enjoyable and something that an FF fan wants to play (which is not necessarily something that an XI/MMO fan wants to play).

Especially the Japanese playerbase may have no interest in a setting like WoW's, but would enjoy similar experience in a Final Fantasy setting. It is quite distinctive, after all, and the producer is taking full use of it, marketing the game using summons, chocobos, traditional jobs, and the like.

Your opinion regarding the game and it's direction does not ensure it's failure or success. It could be a personal failure, which is honestly too bad for you.

Removing one line from my post and then responding to my entire post is pretty lame. Even though my original post is right above urs, some people might not notice or might be too lazy.

If you had kept my post in its original form when u quoted, anyone reading your response would have thought you basically reiterated what I had already said.

In my post I was clear in saying that FF14 2.0 will be different from FF11 and that maybe it will appeal to FF fans tastes we will have to see.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

If you had kept my post in its original form when u quoted, anyone reading your response would have thought you basically reiterated what I had already said.

In my post I was clear in saying that FF14 2.0 will be different from FF11 and that maybe it will appeal to FF fans tastes we will have to see.

You speculated that it will not be well received, while giving examples.

I speculated that it will be, while giving examples of my own.

Hardly a reiteration, though most likely the other side of the same coin.

Frankly, calling my argument sad is pretty lame too. Can you prove yourself by sticking to the argument, rather than useless comments? What you said didn't even counter my argument in any way. It all could be summed up as "we will see". Yeah, cool....

You speculated that it will not be well received, while giving examples.

I speculated that it will be, while giving examples of my own.

Hardly a reiteration, though most likely the other side of the same coin.

Frankly, calling my argument sad is pretty lame too. Can you prove yourself by sticking to the argument, rather than useless comments? What you said didn't even counter my argument in any way. It all could be summed up as "we will see". Yeah, cool....

If you go back and read what I wrote I made a logical hypothesis countering your theory that FF fans might save FF14.

Neither of us are psychic, we both were making predictions. Do not act like your "arguement" was any more worthwhile then my retort.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by grapevine
    Companies wanting to make their MMOs like WoW is getting real old. If people want a game like WoW, then that play WoW, not some substandard imitation.

Yes, how dare they possibly want to copy a good interface for its game, they should just stick to teh crap they had before, let me guess, you didnt read anything? no suprise there.

You know whats getting real old? people acting like anything that wow has is crap and no game should possibly ever use it.

Actually that isn't the point. The point is if they are to copy WoW, then one might as well play WoW. The result is game hopping, as it been seen and done before, so people get bored. Not sure why they are bothering to be honest, as they wont win back people, as they blew their chance big style.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

When in doubt, copy wow.

If you go back and read what I wrote I made a logical hypothesis countering your theory that FF fans might save FF14.

You basically said "we will see".

I said FF fans "might" save FF14.

You countered nothing. We both agreed on the basis that it may or may not work. >_>;

Originally posted by grapevine

Actually that isn't the point. The point is if they are to copy WoW, then one might as well play WoW. The result is game hopping, as it been seen and done before, so people get bored. Not sure why they are bothering to be honest, as they wont win back people, as they blew their chance big style.

Why would FF fans, who don't care about Warcraft nor any of the dozen generic settings, want to hop games? They will play an FF MMO or they won't play an MMO. Just like for many Blizzard fans it is Warcraft MMO or no MMO.

Not many developers have a huge demographic of their own to fall back on, so I can't really agree that we have seen everything here happen before.

It is true that they are the underdogs still.

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

Threads and discussions like this stem from people who read an article, then yank a single sentance out of it, and argue ad nausium over that sentance completely out of context.

The things they are looking to WoW for are more ease of use.  UI, chat, etc..  So that when somebody from WoW tries XIV, they don't have to learn a completely new interface.  Considering at release the interface was one of the single biggest gripes from the playerbase, I don't see the issue here.  They are also looking to WoW in regards to game response.  People don't like to wait 1-2 seconds after hitting a button for the ability to fire off.

The classes, combat system, quest etc... Those are already in the game currently, to the extent that the current server architecture and game engine will support.  

To think that they are going to take XIV and turn it into FFXIWOWV is crazy talk.  The changes going into the game are a direct result of the player polls that current players have participated in.  Most people who play FFXIV now are doing so because 2.0 is on the way, not because they absolutely loved the game as it launched.  Yeah, there are those kinds of people in game, but they are by far the minority opinion.

My advice... People need to quit getting up into a tizzy everytime another game developer mentions WoW, Blizzard etc.  Heck, if I was a mod on this board, I'd delete any thread like this and issue a warning to the person who started it.  They pop up almost daily, and all have the same non-constructive finger-pointing name calling nonsense.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Recently Yoshi-P commented that after the introduction of the Legacy campaign, the number of active subscribers has doubled.  Yes yes, most of you will comment that the subscriber base is so low, that a doubling of the base is meaningless.

However, the trend is one of a favorable direction.  Those of use who have stayed and seen the changes are really excited about 2.0.  It's not the false type of excitement you get pre 1.0 release, because we didn't know any better.  But now we have something to base it on.  Yoshi-P has been reworking the game for over a yaer now.  Most of my friends love the direction it's going.

Those that had given up on FFXIV were really excited about it when a laptop demo was shown at E3 and at Japan Expo in France.   Many of you on these forums havn't read the 30 or so producer letters by Yoshi-P.  If you take the time to read them, you may get a sense that this particular developer "gets it."

He has played mmo's, unlike Tanaka.  He listens to the playerbase, unlike Tanaka.   I honestly don't know what 2.0 is going to be like.  It may be so different that it alienates the current subscriber base, but adds two to three times as many new subscribers.  I'm approachign it with an open mind, and from what I've seen and what we have been promised, I am waiting with nervous anticipation.

FFXIV is substantively different than other MMO's (other than FFXI).  You really can't make literal comparisions to other mmo's with a rocky start.  The untapped playerbase of Japanese Console gamers and FF fans in general allows this game to have a rebirth.   In fact, many of my friends that quit would come back if only the UI and game mechanics were more responsive.  They were willing to wait for the content.

2.0 aims to "fix" both.  And heck, FFXIV cannot go any lower.  The only place to go is up.  How much higher FFXIV goes remains to be seen.

• Bigmac1910Bigmac1910 Member Posts: 19

I for one will try it once it re-launches, just because the community seems so positive about the changes, +1 costumer here. (And no, I'm not looking for a WOW clone)

You basically said "we will see".

I said FF fans "might" save FF14.

You countered nothing. We both agreed on the basis that it may or may not work. >_>;

I provided an alternate hypothesis. Therefore I countered yours. Period.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

Originally posted by Mishakai

Heck, if I was a mod on this board, I'd delete any thread like this and issue a warning to the person who started it.  They pop up almost daily, and all have the same non-constructive finger-pointing name calling nonsense.

LMFAO

Yes, because the only views that should be allowed to be heard are those of whiteknights. If the mods deleted every critical thread about a game people would stop coming to this site.

Forums are about interacting with others in the marketplace of ideas. If you cannot handle reading opinions that are contrary to your own, go to church (make sure its one of whatever denomination you happen to belong to).

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• crazygeekcrazygeek Member Posts: 7

i dont think make FFXIV  another version of world of warcraft is a good idea, FYI, i used to play wow, but paused weeks ago, i m still waiting for the release of Mist of Pandaria, now the Dragon Soul is so esay that a rookie can clear with not too much effort, i really hate this.

Like father, like son. buy vial of the sands

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I'll have to wait and try the game for myself when 2.0 is launched. If it's WoW with a Final Fantasy skin I'll be uninstalling on day one. If it's Final Fantasy with some of WoW's polish it will be worth a second look.

<3

• AumHybridAumHybrid Member UncommonPosts: 75

I hated every single aspect of this game during the short time in which I played it, besides the high-res textures.  Any change that they make could only be a positive as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty excited to see if this 2.0 update brings some more people in.  I may check it out but by that time I will be playing other games coming out soon hopefully.

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

All I havta say is this...

When they release for PS3 I will certainly at least give it a go. Cannot wait to play a real MMO on my 60 inch Television rather than my 20 inch moniter... Plus PS3 has mouse/keyboard support so it will be a win all around I think. It will at least be a fun diversion.

You could hook up your PC to your TV and just use a wireless xbox controller for PC, or wireless keyboard and mouse. You will also have better graphics. Best of both worlds.