Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sPvP and 3 capture points

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

In the upcomming beta weekend there will be a new sPvP map "the Foefire" and this map will also evolve around 3 capture points.

Now Arenanet has stated that all their Structured PvP will be in this format. Because only that way they can promote the game as an E-sport. Lets hope in the future they will also add other map types, there are so incredible much more possibilities for instanced PvP maps that its not even remotely funny not to add them to the game overtime.

Does anyone else agree with me that concentrating on one type of PvP map could be a mistake?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

In the upcomming beta weekend there will be a new sPvP map "the Foefire" and this map will also evolve around 3 capture points.

Now Arenanet has stated that all their Structured PvP will be in this format. Because only that way they can promote the game as an E-sport. Lets hope in the future they will also add other map types, there are so incredible much more possibilities for instanced PvP maps that its not even remotely funny not to add them to the game overtime.

Does anyone else agree with me that concentrating on one type of PvP map could be a mistake?

I'm pretty sure that they said all of their structured PvP wil be like that AT LAUNCH.

But yes, I would like to see even more options for stuctured PvP, even if they aren't available for tournaments.

• dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77

one word.... huttball.. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by dorksmetal

one word.... huttball.. 

There allready is kegball, which is a minigame in the Norn lands.... Huttbal was stolen by SWTOR when Arenanet announced keggball way to early

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

i think they should add some pvp map (battleground) from game that actualy worked well. the 3 objectif is nice but some other type of game would be cool.

like capture the flag in wow (warsong) was nice and i know alot of people who return to wow just for that,

in warhammer i had fun in couple of map in pvp,

same for Rift.

well i guess its a matter of opinion .

I think they should not just focus on e-sport and the 3 objectif map.

ya for me Capture the flag , i started in unreal tournaments / 2004/and continued in mmo. so i want 1 :) lol

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

They will probably add more types as type goes by. They did it with GW.

• SemibruceleeSemibrucelee Member Posts: 52

Yeah I agree, and I am also very disappointed by that fact. I absolutely LOVED the 4v4 arena format in GW1, but the gameplay always threw me off. I was hoping to see it come back with GW2 with their new combat system but I guess we won't. And given the fact that the unique caracteristics of the maps are almost 100% inconsequent (the only difference being the neutral mobs giving 50 points once killed), players will get bored very quickly. I know I am.

Originally posted by sk8chalif

i think they should add some pvp map (battleground) from game that actualy worked well. the 3 ojectif is nice but some other type of game would be cool.

like capture the flag in wow (warsong) was nice and i know alot of people who return to wow just for that,

in warhammer i had fun in couple of map in pvp,

same for Rift.

well i guess its a matter of opinion .

I think they should not just focus on e-sport and the 3 objectif map.

Capture the flag would be cool, and i imagine an Arena fight between 2 teams till the death.

But also a Dota like map with NPCS running from tower to tower and both teams of 5 heroes having their own base to defend.

Now maybe they could add these other PvP modes as minigames.. but i personally would prefer them as sPvP options including ranking systems and such

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by Semibrucelee

Yeah I agree, and I am also very disappointed by that fact. I absolutely LOVED the 4v4 arena format in GW1, but the gameplay always threw me off. I was hoping to see it come back with GW2 with their new combat system but I guess we won't. And given the fact that the unique caracteristics of the maps are almost 100% inconsequent (the only difference being the neutral mobs giving 50 points once killed), players will get bored very quickly. I know I am.

yes... ignore the trebuchet that deals 10k aoe dmg and knocks down, in addition to giving you sight over half of the map... you are doing it right.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

They said on the forums they would.

I might have a cap of it.

edit: Nope, didn't cap it.

Originally posted by Magnnarot

yes... ignore the trebuchet that deals 10k aoe dmg and knocks down, in addition to giving you sight over half of the map... you are doing it right.

Every map has different viable tactics.  You can win without using the trebuchet, and you can win without killing the bossmobs. Tough the current 50 points will probably not make release, it might end up with like 30 points.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

inconsequent? let someone use at his pleasure a trebuchet and is half way for your team loose the game. 

bosses on other map are inconsequent? yap...because you dont even see people on tournaments give much importance to them right?

unique caracteristic of each map are far from be inconsequent in fact they have a huge impact on your score, especially trebuchet

• SemibruceleeSemibrucelee Member Posts: 52

We haven't played the same game. I think only time will prove that I'm right.

And the trebuchet IS inconsequent when destroyed, and if you are dumb enough to defend it, you are splitting effectives that would be far more valuable gaining or defending points. In the end, only raw damage from players and their ability to resurrect their partners and preventing their enemy from doing the same will win games. We'll see.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by dorksmetal

one word.... huttball.. 

I hated Huttball with the fire of a thousand flames.

When you introduce mechanics like that, it always favors a specific class which it did with Sorcs.  Not even going to get into how stupid it was lore wise.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

We haven't played the same game. I think only time will prove that I'm right.

And the trebuchet IS inconsequent when destroyed, and if you are dumb enough to defend it, you are splitting effectives that would be far more valuable gaining or defending points. In the end, only raw damage from players and their ability to resurrect their partners and preventing their enemy from doing the same will win games. We'll see.

You say that but I played countless PvP games on the Battle of Khylo map and always started by rushing to the trebuchet and hammering the center point, making it impossible for the other team to cap. That's what the treb is so great at, for helping your team hold mid. Once mid has been capped it is then easy to go to one of the outer points & attempt to cap it then run back to the treb and be ready for someone to foolishly try to cap mid again. By the time some tries to come and kill me and destroy the treb, my team is usually in a huge lead.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Can someone tell me about how the mechanics currently work for the 3 capture points?  What I want to know is if someone is capping an enemy flag point and an opponent jumps into the capture point circle, does the cap reset or hold even until more of one team is in circle? 

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Can someone tell me about how the mechanics currently work for the 3 capture points?  What I want to know is if someone is capping an enemy flag point and an opponent jumps into the capture point circle, does the cap reset or hold even until more of one team is in circle? 

Removing control from a point (neutralizing) takes around 5 seconds, if you stay on a point controlled by your team while the opponent is inside the circle the capture simply halts, if he was in there for 2 seconds then kills you he only needs 3 seconds to neutralize, same applies to a neutral point, neither will start capping.

Actually capping a neutral point takes around 10-15 seconds, making actual offense a much better strategy than just turtling (or combining turtling with some way to acquire info about the opponent's locations).

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

I for one, which is the only thing im really dissapointd at this game, am bummed that the pvp is limited in GW2. sPVP is very limited and includes running back and forth capturing points instead of more charging in one another. No open world pvp is also an add on of dissapointment....lets see how it goes.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by xalvi

I for one, which is the only thing im really dissapointd at this game, am bummed that the pvp is limited in GW2. sPVP is very limited and includes running back and forth capturing points instead of more charging in one another. No open world pvp is also an add on of dissapointment....lets see how it goes.

open world pvp is almost always always a negative.  hardly ever works in the way intended

Originally posted by cloud8521
    Originally posted by xalvi

open world pvp is almost always always a negative.  hardly ever works in the way intended

As replacement of open world PvP there is WvWvW, which for 80% of the players works much much better then open world PvP.

Its the lack of other sPvP types and the stance of Arenanet about this that worries me.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I don't think it's a mistake, and I think they have a good reason for it, definitely.

I also don't see any reason why they can't add other map types after launch. Also, if a game is going to be capture point based, there are a lot of different ways to manifest that point system so that they don't all feel the same. I know Anet is trying to do this, and I hope they keep going w/ that direction. For one, khylo and forest feel VERY different for a PvP match. The tactics are very different, and thus the dynamics completely change. Lets see what they do w/ foefire.

I would like to see some other forms like we've seen in games like TF2. Push maps would be fun, maps in which the enemy could reduce your point total would be interesting. Also a resource control map would be nice (not unlike Jade Quarry from GW1). Anet had a lot of interesting PvP formats in GW1, I'd be surprised if they didn't implement at least some of that in GW2. Even if it wasn't the focus of the game.