Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ouya Kickstarter Scam?

MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

Ouya,  a potential new console recently raised over 4 million dollars on kickstarter.  They were asking for 950k.  Now they might be searching for more investors in order to actually launch the project.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/16/3162049/ouya-developer-to-look-for-funding-outside-of-kickstarter 

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

So "We want to make a new console" and then they goa bout with the funds collected. "Thats no where near what would fund a console" basically knowing they wouldn't be able to do it yet they still raised funds for it to that little degree? Really sounds fishy to me how it was put.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Most of the game pitches going on right now are really "give us funding for a demo to take to investors".   If this group is indeed skipping actually making the demo and just taking the sack of money already "invested" as their sole proof that they are indeed a good investment, that puts them dangerously close to ponzi territory.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

-tin foil hat ON- Secured and ready to go.

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

A couple of other links worth reading:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407046,00.asp

I absolutely love the idea behind this console, but something doesn't seem right with this...

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

they are closing in on 5 mil.  the project runs thru Aug. 9.  to me it just seems kind of fishy.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I see an android tablet in a box.   I'm still wondering how they will fund the hardware since we know nvidia will not be giving them tegra 3 chips for cheap.

BOOYAKA!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Nothing shady about it, do some research champ.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Look at who is backing the project, this isn't a scam. 5 mil is great, hopefully they hit 10! Just my 2 cents :P

Originally posted by TGSOL

A couple of other links worth reading:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407046,00.asp

I absolutely love the idea behind this console, but something doesn't seem right with this...

they penny arcade article is good read.  thanks TGSOL.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

a friend had shown me a vid of the developers talking about it and it killed me how much they used the word tellevision. Who say's tellevision. It does seem wierd to say this is our target, surpass that by a long shot and still be looking for more. I don't really understand the whole kickstarter thing myself. If I give them 200.00 do I get a system when they come out or is it just charity?

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by DaezAster

a friend had shown me a vid of the developers talking about it and it killed me how much they used the word tellevision. Who say's tellevision. It does seem wierd to say this is our target, surpass that by a long shot and still be looking for more. I don't really understand the whole kickstarter thing myself. If I give them 200.00 do I get a system when they come out or is it just charity?

Look at the right side of the kickstart page for them, you get whatever "reward level" you donate up to. You would indeed get a system, and an extra controller if you wanted (30$ for controller over 99)

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Look at the right side of the kickstart page for them, you get whatever "reward level" you donate up to. You would indeed get a system, and an extra controller if you wanted (30$ for controller over 99)

assuming they actually develop it.  and launch.  then what JayFiveAlive said.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well thats cool then and I really hope it's not a scam so gamers can get a low cost system to play games on there "tellevision".

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

It's a bit early to tell if it is a scam or not. People can still back out until the last moment. I give them the befit of the doubt until the last week to release more detailed information. Visit our forums at www.my-ouya.net for news and discussion.

Cheers | Skyrant myOuya.net

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    If the makers of this thing don't bolt of to Mexico the second that check clears, I will be shocked!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    http://m.t3.com/news/ouya-looking-for-funds-outside-kickstarter

Further evidence that Ouya is a scam ^^^

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Let's be realistic for a second, the android market is not known for its strong gaming side. Besides, most android games are built around the touch screen. Not to mention that most smart phone games are not created for prolonged play, typical of PC or console games. Also, most android phones can be connected directly to your TV anyway.

The only positive thing about Ouya is that it's going to launch with OnLive but if you already have a PC, there is absolutely no reason to purchase a stand alone console to use OnLive, as it's available on the PC already. Just get a cheap $10 HDMI cable, a XBox controller and you're set to play OnLive on your big screen. Also, OnLive, even on Ouya, will still require a much faster internet access, so all those with tier 1 cable or DSL speeds need not apply.

Is it a scam? Probably not. It's simply a useless product that is getting a lot of funding due to hype.