Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Farscape MMO?

WarhawkeWarhawke Member UncommonPosts: 42
Does anyone think a Farscape MMO would work? with a 4 years on TV it has enough of a story to make a very interesting MMO IMHO.

Comments

• WarhawkeWarhawke Member UncommonPosts: 42
    well i am just tired of all the cookie cutter fantasy mmo's that are coming out. just figured if any gaming company would do something original and new and quit making dumbed downed mmo's like a good space one that allows you to exit your ship..no pun on eve not a bad game just not my cup of tea. and a farscape one wouldnt have to be set in the time when john critchon was wormholed to that universe either. with all the races and planets the tv show had i think it could be very interesting. it could even be set at any time before critchon. that way no one would try to be any of the characters from the tv show. and in my reply my second point was just asked if the mmo would work not stupid, and work means could a gaming company pull it off and make it worthwhile to play and be interesting.
  • JoeyNippsJoeyNipps Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by OMFIntrepid

Joeynipps just shut the hell up, unless you have actualy seen the show how the fuck can you know if it will make a good MMORPG

Well, another intelligent lifeform heard from I see.  And a foul mouthed one at that.  I HAVE seen the TV series - in fact, I have seen it all.  You sir, are apparently a rude idiot.

If all else in life fails you, buy a vowel.

• Fenrir085Fenrir085 Member Posts: 3

I like this idea, but I highly doubt it would be a success. 

• Fenrir085Fenrir085 Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by JoeyNipps

Joeynipps just shut the hell up, unless you have actualy seen the show how the fuck can you know if it will make a good MMORPG

Well, another intelligent lifeform heard from I see.  And a foul mouthed one at that.  I HAVE seen the TV series - in fact, I have seen it all.  You sir, are apparently a rude idiot.

Believe me, the internet is full of them, they're like cockroaches. As soon as you own one, another takes its place.

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

if it features that skunk chick naked, ill take 10

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I liked the series but I'm not sure how it would work on an MMO, perhaps I need to watch it again as it's been quite a few years since I watched it. The main thing that puts me off is that MMOs based on movies or tv series don't seem to work, everyone has different ideas on how it should be done so inevitably we are disappointed.

It would be nice to see a couple of original sci fi MMOs though.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Thats the last thing we need ~ another amazing IP destroyed by an incompetent developer...no thanks!

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Uh, Farscape itself wasnt really that exciting.

The main character kept annoying me with his stupid pop culture references all the time. Nobody understands you, cowboy, so why do you insist on this crap ?

And the show started to have quite a lot of filler episodes, which gave it quite a Star Trek vibe. Noooo we wont progress the story now, sorry, next time. Instead we go back to earth. AGAIN. Earth became kind of what the Holodeck is to Star Trek.

The story was overall good and enjoyable, albeit it had its lengths and it didnt always made much sense.

Knowing too much about physics is not good for enjoying the show. For example, that "hydrogen bomb" the main guy had for some episode just behaved very laughably. I have yet to see any halfway realistic atom bomb explosion in any movie, though. Nothing looks even remotely like the real deal.

The setting was quite interesting. Many strange alien races that are unusual in their behavior.

Can you build a MMO from it ? Yes, but it would be a hella work. Many different races in here. Devs prefer it of course if a setting only contains humans. Much less work with models.

Also, the tv series is more about making peace, not about permanent conflicts.

But you could for example build something EVE-like from it.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

See the story revolved around Crichton and Scorpius but even stories like that which revolve around some central figures can be done. Take Lord of the Rings for instance you would think that it could not translate into an MMO setting but it did and quite successfully at that.

It depends on how you want to tackle it. Do you become part of the main story which in my opinion will not work because unlike Lord of the Rings whose central characters needed distractions so that Frodo could go pitch that ring in Mount Doom, Farscape was more character driven. Farscape was not an overall far reaching goal centred plot. It was a discovery and growth of individuals of varying races and their relationships which would be hard pressed to translate into a world and play in without the central figures interacting with you. It evolved as most episodic series do. While characters like Chiana and D'Argo all formed part of the stories their races were not an essential part to the story. Of course you could just create the world and populate it with the characters but what would the central theme be ? The development of the weapon to use against the Scarran ? The juxtaposition of Earth and their worlds. Where does Harvey come in ? How would you fit in when the number of people on the ship Moya was always so few. Were you one of the drones on board ?

It is very difficult to imagine but I personally  would love to actually inhabit the worlds from the series since it is one of my favourite series and I absolutely loved it and some of the episodes still echo in my mind for its poignancy. However I am very very afraid that they might just ruin it like Star Trek was irrevocably ruined by Cryptic a crime they should be hung for in my book.

Chamber of Chains
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by JoeyNipps

Yet you haven't given a single specific reason why the Farscape setting couldn't be a good base for an MMO, just insults, and generalised invective.

At first glance, it looks like Farscape has everything needed to make a good setting for an MMO; lots of conflict, several well-defined cultures, varying races with plausible motivations, a storyline and a good-size fanbase with whom it is still popular. Plus it's a science-fiction theme and they're getting kind of fashionable at the moment.

If a good developer got behind it, I'd be interested enough to check it out at the very least.

So what's your problem specifically with a Farscape MMO?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Do you know what this thread has managed to do ? I am suddenly dying to watch this whole series again from the very beginning. Watching how Aeryn Sun and D'Argo that enmity grow to friendship to that loving relationship she shared with the others .Or watching Rygel sacrificing his self serving nature for another. God I miss this series !

Chamber of Chains
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by cheyane

Do you know what this thread has managed to do ? I am suddenly dying to watch this whole series again from the very beginning. Watching how Aeryn Sun and D'Argo that enmity grow to friendship to that loving relationship she shared with the others .Or watching Rygel sacrificing his self serving nature for another. God I miss this series !

Well they just released a new box set of the whole thing, it's way cheaper than the first box.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

I miss Farscape.  A truly entertaining series.  Doesn't hurt that I have a huge crush on Ben Browder either.

It would have to be made by a developer with a querky sense of humor or they would completely miss out on the essence of the series.  I think Bioware would have the dedication to capture the essence of that universe better than anyone else.

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

I loved the series (anyone know if they put it out on DVD?), well until towards the end it became a bit convoluted. That tends to happen when the original writers leave. It wouldn't make a very good choice as an IP because it didn't have a big enough following or recognition, hence its eventual cancellation.

• ChirugaiChirugai Member UncommonPosts: 304

Please do not necromance old threads. Locked.

Fortune favours the bold.

This discussion has been closed.