Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 concerns: Lack of a Forum, and Pay to Win (?)

zWolfzWolf Member Posts: 88

Man, I have been exited about this game - this was the 'one' that was finaly going to kick me over the edge to buy a PS3.  I now have two concerns, I went to the main Dust Web page: http://www.dust514.com/ where I looked for the Forum to start discussing the game with those that will be playing it... only - there wasn't one!

It may not be the case, but, a lack of Forum Support for a game that is going to be so reliant on community makes me wonder why on earth there isn't one.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Speculation even?

in some cases, I imagine that companies don't want to deal with an un-ruly community talking badly about their game, and in others they may  just not want to hire a community manager... I'm just wondering why there isn't any place for the community to form up around on the main web site?  This would mean that players are pushed to 3rd party methods of community building tools.

And then, my biggest concern - the "Free to Play" model... le sigh.  it is SO very RARE that a company can get this formula right, I could probably list them on one hand - DDO, LOTRO, and LOL are about all that come to mind - most end up going crazy with 'boosts and bonuses' that pretty much you have to spend money on if you want to stay at all relevent. I'd much rather just plunk down my 60$ bones at the start and be done with it - Rare is it that I get out of a F2P game (that I enjoy,) with out dropping double what I would have payed retail. (which is probably why the modle is successful heh.)

I'm probably going to have to let this one run for a few months 'live' before I dip in and see what the waters like.

I am currious though, is there any 'vibe' as to how 'play to win' this game will be?

Thank you,

zWolf -out.

Comments

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Dust 514 is an associated game with EvE, check the forumes there. https://forums.eveonline.com/  

Dust is going to be different in that it is a console game that requires interfacing with a PC games players. Not tried it out myself but reports make it sound interesting.

Your position under attack? The Dust player calls on an EvE player to provide Orbital bombardment. Good? Bad? Don't know, but sure sounds intriguing.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

The Dust forums is actually part of the EvE forums, check here - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=3172

The reason I doubt it will be P2W is because of how heavily it ties into the EvE universe, where something like P2W could completely tip things off in a bad way. Most people were terrified this is what was going to happen when the store came into EvE, that soon everyone would see ammo, blueprints, and ships on the store, but so far it has not happened. 

• zWolfzWolf Member Posts: 88

Cool, I'll check those forums out... maybe some one would want to suggest to the Dev's to pop a 'link' over to them from the Dust Web Site or something - it kinda seems like a good thing to do.... unless they have already just 'given up' marketing to people that are not already EvE online Players... which doesn't seem very smart.

Thanks again for the tips.

Thank you,

zWolf -out.