Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We looked to World of Warcraft.

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

why would i care to sub to a square enix game when they clearly don't care for their current faithful subscribers.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

The initial XP system, the UI and the client - server communication architecture (giving european players a hard time) aka. LAG have been my only gripes with this game.

I didn't ask for a "common" XP gain solution (rewarding kills with fixed xp), but for fixes in the shortcommings when grouping, and failsafes so that you don't earn zero xp for 10 minutes and 12 enemies straight.

I didn't ask for class overhaul and cathering to FFXI players destroying the vertical class system we initialy had. (Almost free skill ditribution)

I didn't ask for 50% size increase of my DODO. (Pun intended)
    I didn't ask for male miquote.

I actually like the animation based combat instead the GCD button smash combat system of WoW+clones. The current combat in FFXIV is just awfull with it's high GCD and Cooldowns in general.
    I liked the "NO Autoattack" because it made sense.
    I liked the initial crafting from day one (or better said i didn't mind it).

By cathering to FFXI players and destroying unique systems in FFXIV it'sclear to me Yoshi didn't get that point right about the shortcomming if his game. Kinda worries me when he says "We looked at WOW". (Bad WoW clon copy phobia syndrom probably on my side)

Anyway. I will judge it when it's ready. If they finally got a useable UI for PC players with a mouse and keyboard and created a concept for how their client behaves in high latency (so we europeans can actually sidestep charged attacks!) I can deal with a couple more of "WoW-ish" systems getting implemented.

Because then it will (could) be an useable Final Fantasy with rich story (and mature elements). The main draw for this game.

I mean how many mmos do you know where you get openly cursed at from npcs with strong words, get "company" by Miquotes for your gold after a hard day and the BARD took an Arrow the the knee?

• PudsyPudsy Member Posts: 34

I played wow for ages, stopped last decemeber cause well, having played it from 2005 I'm bored of it.

There is no way im going to Final Fantasy 14... i tried 11 and i tried 14 when it was F2P. I dont like the combat, its soo slow and you click something you have to wait about 5 minutes until the action goes.. (thats the way most FF games are) ... I don't like that style and I'll certainly not be playing 14 2.0...

Because the game itself its quite rubbish and edging free to play, and I'm not going to pay for it.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    Originally posted by ZizouX

They modeled the new UI by studying WoW's UI.

Yoshi-P talked to the Blizzard-Diablo 3 staff at E3 and was even given a signed copy of the game by the Blizzard team.  They discussed, primarly, CGI implementation in MMO's since Blizzard and SE are pretty damn good at it.

If you've been following FFXIV, you know that it isn't a Wow clone.  Not even close.  Have they added "Wow elements" such as icons over NPC heads and other features... yes they have.  Yoshi feels that certain aspects of mmo's have become "genre  standards."

<snip>

Sounds a lot like what Bioware was spouting prior to SWTOR's release.  And how's that workling out for them?

Copy WoW.  The last refuge of the developer without creativity or talent.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Unlight

Sounds a lot like what Bioware was spouting prior to SWTOR's release.  And how's that workling out for them?

It would have helped Bioware if SWTOR was at least better than WoW in what it does...not worse.

Even the graphics came directly from 2004.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Unlight
    Originally posted by ZizouX

They modeled the new UI by studying WoW's UI.

Yoshi-P talked to the Blizzard-Diablo 3 staff at E3 and was even given a signed copy of the game by the Blizzard team.  They discussed, primarly, CGI implementation in MMO's since Blizzard and SE are pretty damn good at it.

If you've been following FFXIV, you know that it isn't a Wow clone.  Not even close.  Have they added "Wow elements" such as icons over NPC heads and other features... yes they have.  Yoshi feels that certain aspects of mmo's have become "genre  standards."

I havn't met anyone who's played FFXIV for more than a week who compares it to WoW.  

It's FF style content with WoW responsiveness.  Some people fear FFXIV is turning into wow for 2.0, that's where the rhetoric doesn't meet the reality.  People who say that have a very superficial understanding/knowledge of FFXIV.  The biggest problems with FFXIV was initially the content and the ui.  The content has been slowly added, while the ui issues and responsivness persist.

I fight the UI on a nightly basis.  So, if the prospect of keeping the content while overhauling the UI/responsivness to WoW quality is a WIN WIN.

So for all of you Wow Clone band wagoners do....

-Chocobo raising

-Player Housing

-unique summoning system

-crystal tower dungeon

................Sound like WoW Ideas?

It remains to be seen how successful Yoshi is in terms of the performance increase, but I wait for that day with nervous anticipation.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Some interesting replies in this thread, unfortunately most of the replies are from people who dont know jack from jill, So you tried FFXIV from day one and the ui was unresponsive, try and play it now and return with a more educated answer, it takes less than a month give or take and depending how much you play to reach current level cap, the game is in for a drastic overhaul and most if not all current players cant wait for it. but what is ingame now is more than enough to keep you occupied and certainly more than you could probably accomplish before 2.0 arrives.

ZizouX made a post on the first page of this thread which most didnt bother reading, he/she  made an accurate account of the current situation in responce to the OP.

Check out the following link and stop making assumptions based on thin air.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/38201-Coming-in-Version-2.0%21

• SoltekSoltek Member Posts: 29

Yoshida is just doing his job which is PR, telling people what they want to hear.

You can't tell me that SE didn't know about other popular UI's long ago when they entered the mmo market in 2003. Everquest had the biggest market share at the time, and a lot of Everquest players ran out and bought FFXI but many did not like how different the UI was and went back to playing Everquest, (I was one of those people). FFXI still managed to grab some Everquest players and players from other mmo's plus a lot of new players just getting into mmo's, and was a success. Then in 2004 WoW came into the picture, and guess what UI they went with? That's right it was vary similar to Everquest. Now I'm not saying they stolen the Everquest UI, they just took what they had at the time and improved on it a lot. Again the Everquest players ran out and bought the new game, only this time they found a UI that they were used to already and it was a lot better. I won't get into the differences in game play but not many players went back to Everquest and all the other mmo's that lost players to WoW.

Had SE not been converting a console game into a PC game they probably would of went with the popular UI that other mmo's were using at the time. But they probably knew that console mmo's were coming, and they might of thought that they were creating the new UI standard for mmo's. I think they realize now after there big flop, that PC gamers want a different UI then console gamers. So now there trying to do what a lot of developers are trying to do right now, and that is to create a multiple controller UI and grab both types of players. Some have done it but some games that I have been alpha testing  are having a lot of difficulty making it work. We can only wait and see how SE pulls it off.  

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Making a game more like WoW has never, EVER helped it. I wish some company would model their game after a better MMO. Seriously, picking one as poorly designed as WoW just to try to hook casuals just makes everyone lose.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Ignoring WoW is one of the largest reason FFXIV is in the mess it's in right now.  This can only improve the game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, I think this is one of many pieces of proof that illustrate that SE has no clue about what they are doing anymore.

They are in a tough spot, their die-hard fans are growing older, and they are trying to attract new players. However, they seem to have absolutely no clue how to do that w/ out alienating their current players. The sad truth is, until they figure this out, they are going to end up burning the candle on both ends.

I hope they manage to revamp FFXIV, and turn it into the game it should've been. However, all signs I keep seeing point to "outcome looks bleak".

I don't think the game will end up as a WoW clone, not even close. However, there are a lot of things the game needs to get back on its feet, and becoming more like WoW is hardly one of them.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Ignoring WoW is one of the largest reason FFXIV is in the mess it's in right now.  This can only improve the game.

Ignoring WoW was the best thing the game ever did. Releasing broken is what caused the issue.

Originally posted by Garvon3

Ignoring WoW was the best thing the game ever did. Releasing broken is what caused the issue.

Lots of games release in a broken, beta-like state that aren't universally panned by gamers and critics alike.  The backlash SquareEnix suffered from the release of Final Fantasy XIV indicates that it wasn't just bugs, glitches, and broken game features that turned people away.  It just wasn't very fun to play.

The lack of an auction house, fluid combat, and a decent questing system are major issues that nearly every review touched on.

Lots of games release in a broken, beta-like state that aren't universally panned by gamers and critics alike.

Getting good game reviews doesn't help at all. Age of Conan got 9s out of 10s, yet two of Funcom's publishers went bankrupt following that disaster launch, and Funcom halved their staff and merged most of the servers within months.

Copying WoW might make your game more approachable, but it doesn't make it better.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue

catering to the WoW drones? not surprised

Don't blame them. We're awesome. We're the most stable and hardcore MMO players there are. 

Originally posted by Valua

Don't blame them. We're awesome. We're the most stable and hardcore MMO players there are. 

Hardcore MMO players don't play a game as casual as WoW. And no, they aren't stable, there's just a constant stream of players. Retention rate is super low.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Hardcore MMO players don't play a game as casual as WoW. And no, they aren't stable, there's just a constant stream of players. Retention rate is super low.

Got any proof of this? My proof is in game first hand experience. And yes, you can play a casual game hardcore. Also, there are parts of WoW that are made for the hardcore, raids and rated PvP. So yeah, my point still stands.

Edit; Clearly you are wrong. Most new players don't stay beyond the free trial (they don't count as subscribers.) therefore that means that WoW players are very stable, which is a good thing. No wonder MMO designers copy WoW, they don't want their game to be like most others where no one sticks around for long.

Source - http://kotaku.com/5469238/most-new-world-of-warcraft-players-dont-go-past-level-10

There are also many other reports like this, so it's probably true.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Belarion

I was just wondering what you all thought about that information brought forth in this article about SE's new focus on making FF14 as much like WoW as possible.

reading comprehension fail, no wehre in this quote "
    "Yoshida and team want those familiar with World of Warcraft to be able to transition into Final Fantasy XIV without a lot of hassle."" does it say their making it as much like WoW as possible.

Same with the article, no where in it do they say anything about making it as much like wow as possible, all they talk about is how they looked at wows UI to make their own UI not suck, man people will go rabib as soon as they hear WoW, doesnt even matter what its about, because as we all know every single thing thats in wow is garbage and should never be in any game in teh histroy of the world.

Originally posted by Istavaan

why would i care to sub to a square enix game when they clearly don't care for their current faithful subscribers.

Rofl, this info is based on what? the one quote you read out of context? yup they sure dont care about any of their current players, thats why they just shut down the game after it came out instead of making it free for a while, and pumping money into the game to make it not suck, oh wait, thats exactly what they did, yup sure sounds like they dont care.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• SoltekSoltek Member Posts: 29

Lots of games release in a broken, beta-like state that aren't universally panned by gamers and critics alike.

Getting good game reviews doesn't help at all. Age of Conan got 9s out of 10s, yet two of Funcom's publishers went bankrupt following that disaster launch, and Funcom halved their staff and merged most of the servers within months.

Copying WoW might make your game more approachable, but it doesn't make it better.

I thought this thread was about the User Interface, not content or game play.

Had FFXIV did what WoW did, and launched with a already popular UI that was improved upon and ran smooth, I'm sure things would have been a lot different.

A good example would be EQ2, which launched about the same time as WoW. Both had similar UI's but WoW's ran much smoother while EQ2's was even clunkier then EQ1's. Even tho EQ2 was a much more in depth game, with a lot more content, more gamers preferred the more bug free polished UI of WoW. If developers can learn anything from WoW it would be that having a smooth launch and popular UI is just as important as the content.

So I guess I agree that you cannot ignore WoW, it not only has the largest player base but it also has the largest hater base. Figure out why that is and that's two vary large groups of people you could try to reach just from studying one game.  

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

@Oph8        : IT's common practice to copy other games in the mmo industry right now, and taboo to act like its a bad thing on mmorpg.com.you would have to increase the combat speed 1 million percent to make it able to compete with better mmo's.
    @ZizouX      :If Yoshi got it, the tales series games wouldn't have outsold FF games since FF10 came out. Hes been on the board sence they took away free flight and controled vehicles. 
    @Deathofsage :since FF11 did things so right FF14 should feel right at home all the same classes, Green vs Red vs Blue, Still slower then runescape battles.
    @tollbooth   : even thou i agree that mmo's should be plaid in parties, often people get tired of running with ninjas, the guy that has to fight every single monster for 0 reason, the 100 boses per party trieng to act like they can play the game better then everyone. Sometimes you just want to relax by yourself. Also your paying so shouldn't you be able to?
    @Garvon3     :Agreed making a game like WoW only lowers retention rate. The been there done that rate of quiting is very high with reasons for leaving.
    @Valua       : I'll be sure to share what you said with all the runescape players. It'll be nice for them to know that they are all super hardcore.

Who said anything about copying WoW?  You people are so damn paranoid.  WoW changed the industry in 2004.  It was stupid of SquareEnix to not even so much as take a look at what was universally liked about that game.  This is why FFXIV currently plays like a bad parody of pre-WoW MMOs.

Got any proof of this? My proof is in game first hand experience. And yes, you can play a casual game hardcore. Also, there are parts of WoW that are made for the hardcore, raids

Raids in WoW are extremely casual compared to the MMO market.

Who said anything about copying WoW?  You people are so damn paranoid.  WoW changed the industry in 2004.  It was stupid of SquareEnix to not even so much as take a look at what was universally liked about that game.  This is why FFXIV currently plays like a bad parody of pre-WoW MMOs.

It was brilliant of them to ignore it, it's the only thing that makes their game stand out. They should continue ignoring it. You can make a good game without being anything like the current "best game on the market". Every pre WoW MMO found subscribers without copying anyone else.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I dont' know how many people on these forums actually play FFXIV currently, or like me, have played for close to a year now.

There is an overwhelming majority of FFXIV players who love Yoshi-P.   THey realize that Tanaka placed such a horrible foundation to work with that it's a small miracle what Yoshi has been able to do with the poor ui and engine.  Ifrit, Moogle and Garuda are fun fights.  Aurum Vale, Cutter's Cry and Darkhold were fun when they were released.  

People, imo, generally feel that 2.0 is giving Yoshi-P a clean slate.  They think, what would FFXIV have been if Yoshi was leading it from the beginning.  2.0 is that chance, and based on what he's done to turn around a sinking ship in the meantime, makes people very excited about the prospects of FFXIV 2.0 in the future.

When Yoshi-P announced that the UI will be similar to WoW and AS RESPONSIVE.  I did a virtual backflip with excitement.   A lot of people just want Final Fantasy universe and feel with a modern UI and responsiveness.  

If all Yoshi-P does in 2.0 is provide the same type of content he's introduced the passed year while making the game smooth and accessible, you'll see this game reach a very healthy population.

A lot of you are also underestimating the value of a PS3 release.  I know at least a dozen people who can't afford a PC to run this game and just want it released on PS3 asap.  Japan also prefers to play their mmo's, especially Final Fantasy', on consoles.

I think that the majority of the naysayers on this forum are people who havn't picked up FFXIV since it launched two years ago.  Those of us who have persisted, are really impressed with Yoshi-P and we have no reason to think 2.0 won't be as great as we anticipate.

Edit: Look for a "flood of information" on this site http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/ middle of August.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Nooooooo say it aint soooooooo!!!

This is a dagger though my Final Fantasy heart!