Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RYL: Path of the Emperor: Troubles Times Interview

Mark Politi of Planetwide Games answers a few of our questions as their company hits a rough patch. Their $1,000,000 tournament has been suspended, some key staff have left and the reviews are not great. What's the gameplan? Find out:

imageMMORPG.com: Recently, you announced that your core draw - the $1,000,000 tournament - has been suspended. Can you go into the unethical activity vaguely described in the release and why you felt it had to be suspended?

Mark Politi: We found that the integrity and fairness of the Tournament was compromised to the detriment of fair and honest Tournament game play by other players. We took these breaches of Tournament rules and regulations very seriously and took action to suspend the Tournament pending evaluation of these breaches. We also believe the core draw of the game was and still remains the compelling battle system, customizable weaponry, and challenging game play.

You can read it all here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

I'm a bit dissapointed by Mark Politi's one to two sentence answers. This guy needs to learn how to expand on his thoughts just a little bit.

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• DevientDevient Member Posts: 46
    They really need to get someone in there for PR- I mean I have never read such a poor interview with a company - They need someone like Sanya at DAoC - Love you Sanya - Miss the DAoC crew as well :)  Maybe I will be back soon :).

Oh where to begin:
    DAoC Juansanchez 50 Armsman Igraine - Back from the Grave
    DAoC Prol 50 Necro Igraine - Back from the Grave
    CoH Devient 28 Mace/Stone Tank *Retired*
    WoW Talgar 27 Warrior *Retired*
    Horizons Goledstadt 35 Dragon *Retired*
    And many many others in many many games. But I always go back to my home in DAoC :)

• OpheleaOphelea Member Posts: 85

Um, they had a PR company. At least, for E3...

• Jd1680aJd1680a Member Posts: 398

Yeah I have two other questions for this guy.  What if cheating was used for an excuse to stop the contest maybe becauses RYL is going down the hole and dont have a million dollars, How would you comment?  If you dont start the contest back again, how are you going to take a several lawsuit coming arriving in your mailbox for fraud, and a possible investigation by the FBI?

Have played: CoH, DDO EQ2, FFXI, L2, HZ, SoR, and WW2 online

• BonzarBonzar Member Posts: 176

Yeah, I agree with everyone else here. The man didn't even respond to the question. He was asked what exactly caused the suspension of the tournament and he responded with, "The same thing we said last week when we announced the suspension, some stuff that went against the rules and such . . . you know, bad stuff." What the f**k does that mean to people who were hoping to win a million dollars? It means that he's trying to back out of the promise they made to the customers. I really liked this game, even though it was kind of really repetitive. It was fun, especially the PvP and I thought the art style was cool. If it just had more customization it would have been really great, except all the characters are really just clones of each other with absolutely no real unique play styles, unlike Guild Wars.

• SilvertigerSilvertiger Member Posts: 2

Hi, k i have played this game for a while now , actually before the retail launch far back. Here are four definet questions you should ask the company:

1) What is the relationship b/w Yuxiland and PWG in terms of development progress with the, game since things seem to going through a major loop cycle resulting in poor developments?

2) Why do all the patches for this game seem to take a long time to make, and keep falling into testing phase, like the memory leak has not been corrected for over a year?

3) Why when players ask questions concerning updates to the game they are kept in the dark?

4) How long are you going to keep the promised content which was on the pre-order (especially)/order of retail box not released because that is really putting a big strain between the company and consumer ?

OMG theres a girl

• CheemingCheeming Member Posts: 6

i believe that since the million dollars contest thing has been suspended ryl should go free p2p because most of the people bought the game for the contest.

and another thing the first ryl is way better than the new one ryl path of the emperor. i liked the ryl before this one it would have sold more. just to let you know so that you can make some money and let us gamers enjoy playing games. better make sure its free p2p or else not as many people will buy it. I know t hat for a fact because alot of ppl i talk to dont buy games cause its p2p.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539
     Guy is obvious a crook perhaps worse than AE and David Bowman and Horrizons was.I KNEW like alot of others this would happen they had no intention of giving away a million when they announced it way to easy to get out of those things they could have banned the cheaters accounts but choose close it lol
  • blakkblakk Member Posts: 33

lol they didnt reached the number of copies sold to get 1M$ over or something like that...They are in the RED they need cash for themselves....sad. 1M isnt a small amount,it was started too soon for such a contest!!::::12::

orrrrrrrr maybe , was it some strategy to get more copy sold thus getting more money ? Like make such a contest-more people BUY the game to win 1M bleh all this smells like burnt hairs::::07::

• KaelienKaelien Member Posts: 12

I really think that it just goes to show you that a major contest can't 'hide' other problems. Really, games shouldn't have contests like this in the first place, it skews player perception of the game and leaves you with a shell of a game after a contest like this is over. How could he argue that the vast majority of the players didn't get the game for this?

• mikajamamamikajamama Member Posts: 8

Well, My thoughts are that they don't have all the answers because they don't want to make up answers so to beat around teh bush is better.

The problem I had with the game is that there wasn't enough people on most times to make an effective group to level up, since being a high level is where the major pvp comes in. In a game where grouping is so important and to make it so difficult to group makes a comlicated game.

There are times when you can spend hours just trying to get a group of 8 to go fight.
    Personally I didn't think that there was enough people on to make the game money. I thought I read somewhere that the game was developed over 5 years costing 30mil. With so few people playing could they have made thier money?

Anyways. I thought a Q&A with so few good answers was kinda pointless. Not that there was a bad questioner, just a bad questionee. Better answers would have been appreciated.

• ScampyScampy Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Kaelien
    I really think that it just goes to show you that a major contest can't 'hide' other problems.

So true. Having contests and competition in a game (as part of your gameworld) sure. Building a game around a contest feels a lot like building a game around a marketing/PR gimmick, IMHO

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I'm not sure this "suspension" passes the smell test.

As much as I hate cheating, mmorpgs are rife with it. Everyone who plays them knows that. They had to anticipate there would be cheating when they announced the contest. In fact, if RYL creates an exploit free game, they will be the first gamemaker ever to do that.

I see a lawsuit in this company's future ...

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests