Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*Rumor Mill* Guess which big wig hits the chopping block this week?

BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Some of you asked for it, some begged for it, some demanded it, some said it will never happen and some of you will just read on...

http://www.slashgear.com/peter-moore-to-replace-john-riccitiello-as-ea-ceo-11238212/

Are you in the mood for a whopper of a rumor? Let’s hope, because we’ve got one here for you: anonymous sources tell Game Front that Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello is about to be let go, and that current EA Sports boss Peter Moore will step in to take his place. It goes without saying that you should probably take this with a grain of salt (or five), but if this is true, it could mean huge things for Electronic Arts, which has been experiencing some stock price woes recently.

1st it was that Georg guy and now can it possibly be this guy? If this turns out true, can we see EA turning it's reputation around?

Comments

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

Speculation on any individual losing their job is just distasteful and honestly this thread should be deleted/locked

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

but it's kind of all over the net... from wall street news sites to gaming news sites.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Athisio

Speculation on any individual losing their job is just distasteful and honestly this thread should be deleted/locked

Just because you don't like it does not mean it's any less news than anything else. Besides read the title which clearly states this is rumor. The problem you have is it's a rumor being reported and not some flame baiting thread.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The entire EA company should hit the chopping block. Yes I know, "Why, your saying everyone should lose their job?" and sure, people would for a while, but then it leaves room for a new company to hopefully rise that isn't 100% profit 0% about making a good game. Some people aren't meant to hold those high up positions and yet they sit there causing destruction to good game designers for more money for them and that is all. 

Some people are actually better off forced upon the streets losing all their wealth. It can serve as a good kick in the ass to realize just where you went wrong and hopefully change them for the better. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Bardus

Some of you asked for it, some begged for it, some demanded it, some said it will never happen and some of you will just read on...

http://www.slashgear.com/peter-moore-to-replace-john-riccitiello-as-ea-ceo-11238212/

Are you in the mood for a whopper of a rumor? Let’s hope, because we’ve got one here for you: anonymous sources tell Game Front that Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello is about to be let go, and that current EA Sports boss Peter Moore will step in to take his place. It goes without saying that you should probably take this with a grain of salt (or five), but if this is true, it could mean huge things for Electronic Arts, which has been experiencing some stock price woes recently.

1st it was that Georg guy and now can it possibly be this guy? If this turns out true, can we see EA turning it's reputation around?

Ohlen and Amantangelo should go with him.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    No surprise there, called that one months ago. What needs to change is the corporate culture of 'screw you customers".
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

This

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72

Just because you don't like it does not mean it's any less news than anything else. Besides read the title which clearly states this is rumor. The problem you have is it's a rumor being reported and not some flame baiting thread.

I am sure this CEO has been responsible for the loss of jobs for many others below him... many good developers included.  Also considering the golden parachute packages CEOs usually have... I wouldn't be losing any sleep over his departure.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Tayah

Ohlen and Amantangelo should go with him.

Amantangelo definitely.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    If that really happebs, that should confirm how a big failure SWTOR really was (Matt Firor be aware).
    On another positive note, more FIFA games more often (/sarcasm)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I hate rumor mills.

I hate double rumor mills even more: not only are you posting the rumor that there might be a CEO switch at EA, your posting it on this forums also means that you're automatically connecting this rumor to TOR, which is in itself a connection that is not based on fact and therefore: a rumor.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

I just found this little tid-bit claim on EA woes and reasons on the CEOs dismissle.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/rumor-peter-moore-replacing-john-riccitiello-as-electronic-arts-ceo/

Laudable as the plan was, it hasn’t worked out for the company. Its attempts to establish new AAA console IP have resulted in more flops like Dante’s Inferno than hits and many of its biggest investments with games like The Beatles: Rock Band never met with financial expectations. Even as its digital revenues grow thanks to its prominence in the mobile and social game markets, that revenue hasn’t grown to replace money lost on development of huge games like Star Wars: The Old Republic. Even with annual net revenue up 15 percent year-on-year to $4.1 billion in fiscal 2012, net income plummeted 263 percent to just $76 million. EA stock is down nearly 44 percent since the beginning of the year and it’s down 81 percent from when Riccitiello took over.

According to this TOR hasn't made a nickel and EA has been depending on their other titles to cover the cost but are failing. I guess it's time we'll see some of that special math from disbelievers again.

In this same article comes this next paragraph about Riccitiello's replacement Peter Moore's plan for EA which kind of hints to me that nothing will really change for EA.

His would be successor Peter Moore already has a vision for EA’s future in place. Cross-platform play is how EA will become the earning machine it used to be according to Moore. Good for EA’s shareholders, but for players already tired of purchasing games like Mass Effect 3 in piecemeal DLC packs, the future is grim.

Cross-platform is this guy's answer? That's all? Nothing about making good games and turning the company's reputation around? No sorry how they been screwing customers for years and now their games will be about good gameplay before profit which will only gain them far more profit than the profit 1st mentality they have been failing with? I give up, EA is hopeless.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I hate rumor mills.

I hate double rumor mills even more: not only are you posting the rumor that there might be a CEO switch at EA, your posting it on this forums also means that you're automatically connecting this rumor to TOR, which is in itself a connection that is not based on fact and therefore: a rumor.

This. If this rumour turns out to be true, it will have been because of the performance of EA as a whole.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

I hate rumor mills.

This. If this rumour turns out to be true, it will have been because of the performance of EA as a whole.

Oh whatever guys, TOR has been an investment larger than all their other titles combined. Riccitiello is the CEO of EA who just happens to own TOR so therefore he is CEO of TOR so yes he is directly associated to TOR in the fullest. This CEO change effects TOR in every way there is since the new CEO has 1st and last word on how the game proceeds.

Sorry if it's bad news for you guys and sorry there is no way to spin yourselves out of this one. Try you may but hung you are on this one.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I dunno, on the one hand Riccitiello leaving would be great, he's the face of the corruption at EA for many, but there is so much wrong with the company, and no indication that anyone over there "gets it", that I doubt a new better age is going to dawn. I would hate to see all that effort put into swtor be wasted, but without a radical change in philosophy, or at least a f2p conversion I don't see any future, and I never thought I'd say that at this point.

Every time i play swtor, i wish I was playing TSW, or GW2, the flaws are becoming more obvious as better mmos come out. I would still prefer bioware wake up and start changing things, fast, rather than EA shut it down.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I have to say that I agree.  Morbid post.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I hate rumor mills.

It says rumor in the title. If you hate rumors, why are you reading them? Lol.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I hate rumor mills.

I'm feeling the need to express my hatred, obviously.

Now that I've done so, I'll shut up about it though, go on ahead and rumor and panic around like there is no tomorrow and draw whatever unfounded conclusions you like! ;)

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Moore will replace him and he's even worse imho.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I hate rumor mills.

I'm feeling the need to express my hatred, obviously.

Now that I've done so, I'll shut up about it though, go on ahead and rumor and panic around like there is no tomorrow and draw whatever unfounded conclusions you like! ;)

I hate olives. The next time I got to a buffet and see olives, I'm not only going to eat those olives, I'm going to go bitch at the staff at the restaurant and make a scene in front of all the other customers after I've eaten those olives since I have no self-control. Damn you olives, you made me do it because I hate you.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I hate rumor mills.

Not really mate.

I agree that when a fat cat gets the boots, it is generally for his overall performance, but there is always the "last straw" product that gives him a final push.

The last straw in this case is obviously SWTOR, which was the biggest budget product of  EA portfolio and it was supposed to be the fat cow of the Company.

If SWTOR would have made some kind of decent profit, Riccitiello would not have been given the boot.

That serves him well for wasting $ 100 Millions on a WOW photocopy.

I hope that rings bells to other developers who are thinking of going the same route (Zenimax I am looking at you)

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Oh come on. Stop closing dowmn discussion on a perfectly legitimate gaming topic.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I hate rumor mills.

Don't delude yourself. SWTOR was EA's gigantic flagship project into which they poured hundreds of millions of dollars. Its - comparative - failure has obviously helped sink Riccitiello's job. Another casualty of 'The Tortanic'.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by noncley

I hate rumor mills.

Don't delude yourself. SWTOR was EA's gigantic flagship project into which they poured hundreds of millions of dollars. Its - comparative - failure has obviously helped sink Riccitiello's job. Another casualty of 'The Tortanic'.

There's a few people in here that hate SWTOR so much that they can't really see clearly lol. SWTOR is  NOT  EA's biggest investment. It might (MIGHT) be the biggest game they've developed but it's not their biggest investment. EA has purchased multiple social gaming companies in the past 5 years, including just last year, costing a sum of 1.5 Billion to 2 Billion dollars. That's BILLIONs, not millions. SWTORs measely 150 million cost is chump  change. Really now.

There's like an obsession on these forums to see SWTOR as some sort of high stakes risk. High stakes? Huh? 150 million might as well be some change on the sidewalk.

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 158

It's not just the money invested, it's the 6y of wasted opportunities. How many games and how much money could have been made if they didn't put an absurd amount of resources into one single turd.