Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion getting greedy

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by laserit

As another poster here stated it now is the norm. All it shows is in this regard Trion is not above Blizzard. It's depressing to know that Blizz's RMAH will probably be accepted by the majority of player's and it will also become the norm.  Imagine how player's would of scoffed at the idea a few years ago so dont laugh when I say that one day you will probably have to purchase your raid and pvp gear from an RMAH.

We consumers as a whole are just plain dumb.

Blizzard and Trion are two seperate cases and comparing them is moronic.  One makes an enormous amount of cash monthly and has no problem getting enough money to pay for its dev team.

Trion is probably struggling to get 200k subs at this point, with their dev pace they could likely use a boost in funds.

Also, Blizzard is not the first to try RMAH.  Both EQ2 and Vanguard experiented with it and it was scrapped.  Although they didnt force it on people so who knows what wuld have happened if it was on all servers.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

The misplaced sense of entitlement amongst young gamers these days is absolutely disgusting.

Is the mount faster than anything you find in-game or as a veteran reward?

If so, then I could understand the outrage. If it's merely a cosmetic 'advantage' then please spare me this "I pay $15 a month - I should be entitled to everything" bs.

So they shouldn't be able ot sell hats and other merchandise because you pay $15 a month for a sub/ Please get off your high horse with this $15 a month BS. I'm sure you spend more in one night at McDonalds!

This misplaced sense that paying $15 a month means you are entitled to anything and everything the company produces is so misplaced that I would be embarrased to publicly state as much. Get over yourself.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

What the hell is my sub paying for?  Not to keep the servers open that's for sure.  Like I said before Jeff Strain already debunked that myth.  

The development team and numerous other expenses the average MMORPG poster is clueless about.  

• Originally posted by helthros

The misplaced sense of entitlement amongst young gamers these days is absolutely disgusting.

If so, then I could understand the outrage. If it's merely a cosmetic 'advantage' then please spare me this "I pay $15 a month - I should be entitled to everything" bs.

So they shouldn't be able ot sell hats and other merchandise because you pay $15 a month for a sub/ Please get off your high horse with this $15 a month BS. I'm sure you spend more in one night at McDonalds!

This misplaced sense that paying $15 a month means you are entitled to anything and everything the company produces is so misplaced that I would be embarrased to publicly state as much. Get over yourself.

considering this sub + cash shop isn't too old, i would question who the young gamer is. there were games before WoW.

• Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

trion was already profitable. at E3 they said they were still making money.

But how much money are they making?  What are the trends?  Can you trust the company that said they werent closing servers, merely converting them to trial servers for an upcoming promotion (Rift Lite does not use trial servers)?  Trion is petrified of negative PR, so they will spin anyway they can to avoid it.

trion is really the only company who's quarterly statements i would be inerested in seeing.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by teakbois

What the hell is my sub paying for?  Not to keep the servers open that's for sure.  Like I said before Jeff Strain already debunked that myth.  

The development team and numerous other expenses the average MMORPG poster is clueless about.  

That argument is bullshit, considering how well Guild Wars did, and how well Guild Wars 2 is expected to do.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

I have to say this bugs me too.  I'm paying a subscription for the full meal deal.  If I want to buy extra digitial content I should just stick with F2P.  I've gone with the payment as a service model with them because I missed it so much from Lineage.

I wonder if they're testing the cash shop waters.  They have skirted microtransactions by selling Collector's Edition upgrades, but flat out selling a mount is a microtransaction in my world.

If they're going to start charging for additional digital content or their expansion then the P2P model is really and truly dead.  They will all be P2P + microtransactions.

The funny thing is I never ever planned to play F2P, but publishers are driving me from P2P games with their double and triple dipping.

Last time I checked most tripple A P2P MMOs charge for expansions.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

I'm just gonna say it, you're a bunch of whinny bitches. If you don't like the direction that the genre is heading then quit. It seems pretty simple to anyone with a half a brain.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Greedy?

newsflash, companies have to make money. It's not about greed. It's about "companies having to make money".

why is it some gamers think these companie are there for their pleasure? These guys need to make a living, need to stay in business.

As long as it's jut pets or mounts or cosmetic stuff then I think we are ok.

If it crosses that then sure, I'll be with you.

C'mon Sovrath think about this for a minute.

They have billed the game with the "service model".  While they've not explicitly promised everything for the subscription they have implied that the sub model buys a premium service including content.

What the hell is my sub paying for?  Not to keep the servers open that's for sure.  Like I said before Jeff Strain already debunked that myth.  I'm paying for the full package in RIFT.  I have no problem paying for more digital content in STO or Aion or another F2P game.  I do have a problem paying a subscription and then more in a cash shop.  What this shows me is that the P2P business model is a failure.  If my sub doesn't buy the full game then the sub isn't worth paying.

And why is it okay to remove fluff from the game and gaming for it but it's not okay for power items?  They aren't any different.  Game content is game content.

I don't agree with your assessment.

There is absolutely no evidence that this fluff would be in the game if it weren't for the dlc.

I've played a lot of games at this point and many sub games and usually the sub price gets you pretty standard stuff (and not enough I might add). I've never played a sub game that offered a lot of fluff items in the expansion pack.

Once these stores crop up you tend to get more of that stuff.

I do recall some masks in Lineage 2 but you had to buy their "special edition" to get them which was, for all intent and purposes just extra dlc.

edit: I also don't agree with you that game content is "game content".  Essentially we don't agree.

Your sub is paying for? Don't know. gm's? making sure the company is flush while they work on content?

That's up to players to decide whether it's worth it or not.

What's your cable bill pay for? Theres' rarely anything good and the premium stuff is an extra bit of money.

And since I dont' think that's worth it I dont' have cable. I spoke with my wallet. If people don't like this then they should speak with their wallet and move on.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by xenogias
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

i've supported Rift since launch, but this latest issue really bugs me for some reason. here's the announcement and link:

"Hail Ascended!

Introducing the ferocious “Armored White War Tiger”. Originally offered exclusively in Korea, this beastly mount can be yours for a limited time! Just visit your account page to check out the offer, you’ll find it right next to the Collector’s Edition and Ashes of History Edition upgrades.

We’re always trying out new ways to add more options to your RIFT experience and this is no exception – have fun!"

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/news-announcements/325459-armored-white-war-tiger-now-available-account-center.html

---------------

so it's 15$ for a mount that's better then the 36 month vet mount. it's a mount for money like blizz has been doing. to me this feels like flat out greed.

Nothing wrong with it, you are not forced to buy it nor does it give ingame advantages.

There is absolutly something wrong with it. Its an ingame item that you already pay a MONTHLY FEE for thats not apart of a full expansion.

WTF are people paying monthly fees for if they are not getting content for it? I just dont get it. Oh the ONE update that adds content every 4-6 months? So you are fine with paying the price of a full fledged AAA title for 2 hours worth of content and then being asked to pay even more ontop of that for cosmetic items?

I really do not understand gamers these days. So many of them are willing to take it right up the ass, and dry at that. Oh well, Companies will keep doing this and people like me, who expect value for our money, will continue to move on untill we have to find a new hobby. Hell even DLC is getting out of hand but at least thats not priced so F'in rediculous as MMO's are.

#1  Rift IS NOT two hours of content.

#2  Rift has one of if not the highest amount of FREE content updates of any MMO.

#3  You don't have to buy it.

#4  Effects you in no way ingame.

#5  Yes I'm fine with CHOSING to buy or not to buy cosmetic items for games.

Originally posted by teakbois

If the sub can't pay for it all then the P2P model is a failure.  Might as well just play F2P and skip the sub entirely.  This was the only game worth a sub to me because they offered the full meal deal for the sub price.  Now not so much.  We'll see where it goes.

Oh and what are those expenses?  Care to detail them or were you speaking about cluelessness from a personal perspective.

1.  This is the htird time they have offered a mount as a digital transaction.  the first was day 1.  As far as I know they are the only game where you can get the collectors edition as a digital upgrade after release, might be more now though but never saw it before rift.

2.  No one ever factors in how expensive a dev team is.  Not just their salaries, but their benefits as well.  Or the CS team.  Or the taxes.  These things are major expenses.   The dev salary/benefits though is by far the biggest cost, and its fixed.  The more subs you have, the more profit youll make because less and less money per person goes into that fixed cost.  At some point there is a line where you either have to reduce staff or find alternative ways to fund things.  Not to mention a game that cost as much money to make as Rift isnt making up its investment in the first month, so theres still the paying back of the initial investment.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

You're paying 50$ for the whole and 15$ for just a mount...there's something that doesn't add up! It's just a mount, how much man power does it cost to make one? It's just a reskin of an other mount. I can buy app games on my iPhone for 0,99$ and I sure it cost alot more than making a mount. That's just insane what people are willing to pay today.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by ghost047

You're paying 50$ for the whole and 15$ for just a mount...there's something that doesn't add up! It's just a mount, how much man power does it cost to make one? It's just a reskin of an other mount. I can buy app games on my iPhone for 0,99$ and I sure it cost alot more than making a mount. That's just insane what people are willing to pay today.

Look at it this way: You are buying singleplayer games for 50$ (or 60$ more often these days..) but delux edition costs 80$ and includes a DLC and few new skins for 20$ more, and I'm not talking about thos epimped CEs that actually have physical items like statues or fancy boxes that do have manufacturing costs. 

It's a standard in gaming industry that's been here for long time and is to stay for quite a while. 

The thing is, as you pointed out - people are willing to pay that much for it and even ask for option to do it. If a guy comes to you and says "sell me virtual pixels for 15$" what kind of braindead idiot you would have to be to say no? :P

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

so it's 15$ for a mount that's better then the 36 month vet mount. it's a mount for money like blizz has been doing. to me this feels like flat out greed.

It is not greed. Rift desparately needs to make some money to justify further development.

It takes one to know one.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

They gotta sell something to stay in business since they cant seem to keep more then 3 or 4 servers full at any time in their year long life.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Yet you have no problem with the 2 current mounts you can already buy, sorry, "account upgrades".

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by ghost047

how dare they offer a mount that used to be exclusive to certain people for a price.

Stop acting as if they threaw this skin together and decided to charge for it.

seriousley, if a mount that doesnt change the game at all influences you thoughts the game game well it sucks to be you, cant stand anyone else possibly having something you dont oh no!

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

There's not really wrong about this. It's just a limited time to get a crack at something only Koreans had access to before, and nothing that will change your gameplay in any way if you don't choose to buy it.

However, you're a sucker if you pay $15 for a mount, in my opinion. But then, some people are OCD and gotta "catch 'em all."

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Only a matter of time before your only clothing option in game is a white shirt that says no frills in bold black letters across the back so you have to see it, every thing else in the cash shop but don't worry it's all cosmetic. lol....

Originally posted by DaezAster

Only a matter of time before your only clothing option in game is a white shirt that says no frills in bold black letters across the back so you have to see it, every thing else in the cash shop but don't worry it's all cosmetic. lol....

making up situations that dont exist then laughing about them makes you look stupid fyi.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

What a non issue.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by warmaster670
    Originally posted by DaezAster

making up situations that dont exist then laughing about them makes you look stupid fyi.

Well it was a joke and a bit of an exaggeration on my part but is becoming a common issue in many games to exclude the good stuff and use the excuse that it's not necessary and just cosmetic. Sorry if I offended you though....

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

What a non issue.

Explain.

It takes one to know one.

Originally posted by helthros

considering this sub + cash shop isn't too old, i would question who the young gamer is. there were games before WoW.

Dancing around arguments like a true youngster, thanks for not disappointing. You still have yet to answer whether or not the mount is faster or any way better than these other mounts outside of cosmetics. You say it's "better", yet fail to inform how.

It's virtual merchandise. Game producers have sold merchandise for ages now, it's only recently that there has been a shift to virtual merchandise. It's still the same concept.

Using your completely bogus and whiney reasoning companies shouldn't be allowed to sell shirts and action figures either. I mean, since you pay $15 a month, you should be entitled to anything they produce, right? Cry more.

Dancing around arguments like a true youngster, thanks for not disappointing. You still have yet to answer whether or not the mount is faster or any way better than these other mounts outside of cosmetics. You say it's "better", yet fail to inform how.

It's virtual merchandise. Game producers have sold merchandise for ages now, it's only recently that there has been a shift to virtual merchandise. It's still the same concept.

Using your completely bogus and whiney reasoning companies shouldn't be allowed to sell shirts and action figures either. I mean, since you pay $15 a month, you should be entitled to anything they produce, right? Cry more.

Whether you're young or old making references to age and posturing as though you speak from authority makes for an idiotic argument.  Just drop that.  It makes you sound silly.  I'm not young by any means and that has nothing to do with my position on the issue at hand.

Trion has billed the game as an entertainment service.  In many interviews (search for them if you want to read what is said - some are on this site) they've touted how their 'pay for' service model is superior.

Sure a lot of companies are double dipping with the sub + microtransactions.  What's the sub paying for if not for the development of the game?  If they're going to double dip then it's probably time to drop them like every other p2p game company.  If I have to pay a sub and still buy more pieces of the game through microtransactions then I might as well just go fully F2P.

With all due respect, perhaps you could point out where I comment on anything you've said. Don't worry, I'll wait.

So let me get this straight, they shouldn't be allowed to sell merchandise because you pay for a sub fee? Do you have any idea how whiney and unrealistic you sound?

If you don't like what they're doing, unsub. Dollar votes count a WHOLE lot more than bitchy whiney forum posts. It's called capitalism.