Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoyable

So I've been on this site for a long time, and I rarely post.  Mostly, I read the rage and hatred and get a good laugh at work, because we all know how awesome the MMORPG.com community can be about things they are passionate about...either good or bad.. :P

That all being said, TSW did something to me that I just had to share.  Its a game that I enjoy so much, I had to tell somebody about it.  Who better than everybody here?  If nothing else, it will give us all something to troll about for a few hours.  

The game itself is fairly poor where animations, customization, and combat are concerned.  In fact, I would rather go back and play WoW during some encounters because the combat is simply clunky and bland.  It will likely be polished in coming patches, but right now, the combat is just not terribly enjoyable.  In fact, I'd say it feels more dated than AOC, a game released 5 years ago by the same company.  Go figure.  The bugged quests also suck, but thats to be expected this early into release.  Lets face it, what company has gotten all the quests right directly post release?  I can't personally think of any, and I've been a part of every AAA MMO release since WoW.

Fortunately, those are my only 2 complaints I have with the game.  The atmosphere feels alive and real, and there are moments during quests that I have actually asked myself "what the fuck is that?"  The story is more well written than that of SW:TOR, a game with at least double the budget.  The story leaves so much open for interpretation, and it shows the vivid realities of society, and the breakdown thereof.  The atmosphere is mature so I feel like I am playing a game meant for me, rather than a child's game that tries to cater to adults (WoW).  The graphics are extremely well done and they go with the atmosphere of the game extraordinarliy well, and the tesselation on surfaces is phenominal for an MMO.  When they add the next graphics update in an upcoming patch, those with higher end cards will have even more to enjoy in that category.  The sounds are fitting, and I'll be honest - I don't do horror games, at all, and although ths isn't a full blown horror game, there have been a few times I jumped a little bit.  Call me a pussy, but there are moments that are very well thought out.  

As a whole, I've never had more fun during an MMO release.  Will I be playing a year down the road?  Who knows - they announced monthly free content updates which will certainly allow them to maintain a decent player base.  The game is large enough as far as map space is concerned to add a plethora of new content, but after all skills are maxed (likely take a few months for that to happen, minimum), Im not sure what kind of lasting appeal there will be unless new skills are added.  Regardless, its a game that will definitely get me for at least 6 months.  Well done, Funcom.  1 out of 3 on release isn't as bad as some, I suppose.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The best thing I can say that sums-up how I feel about TSW is that I can't remember the last time I was so willing to overlook bugs in a game because I'm having so much fun.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I agree with everything you said, except the WoW combat being any less clunky.  I consider TSW's combat to be on-par with every other major-name MMORPG out there. 

Infact, I think the combat has a charm about it that sets it apart from all the other MMOs... in a positive way. Which is likely due to the imaginative Skill Wheel system and AP System.

They've put together a game here that is unlike any other MMORPG, but familiar enough to keep me grounded in the fact that it is infact still an MMO.

One thing that gets me though?  I wish our characters talked and had more of an identity.  I mean hell, female characters are referred to as men in the cutscenes... not often, but its there.

• ParameterParameter Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I agree with everything you said, except the WoW combat being any less clunky.  I consider TSW's combat to be on-par with every other major-name MMORPG out there. 

Infact, I think the combat has a charm about it that sets it apart from all the other MMOs... in a positive way. Which is likely due to the imaginative Skill Wheel system and AP System.

They've put together a game here that is unlike any other MMORPG, but familiar enough to keep me grounded in the fact that it is infact still an MMO.

One thing that gets me though?  I wish our characters talked and had more of an identity.  I mean hell, female characters are referred to as men in the cutscenes... not often, but its there.

Lol, yeah I hear you there.  In many of the cutscenes, I often feel like I now know what its like to be a mute.  Really sucks, tbh.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Parameter
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Lol, yeah I hear you there.  In many of the cutscenes, I often feel like I now know what its like to be a mute.  Really sucks, tbh.

I often wonder if it would be better if they went to first person mode instead for the cut--scenes.  I got used to it, but it was a little jarring at first.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

They saved on production cost there, but I can't see the bad side actually. Rather some good monologues than the awful "dialogs" of SWTOR.

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89

I agree with most of your post , although I find the combat pretty good and can only get better , I seem to spend most of my time tinkering around with the Decks and Character stats that I do  playing the game !.

I love it though , also felt confident enough to do my fist Dungeon last night and these are just awesome ! I love the community so far too, had nothing but very friendly and helpful players.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I don't know what the fuss is about concerning combat, I think the combat is fine. It probably depends on what weapons you're using, as some look better than others. Also, puting things in perspective, you're an anima, a special being. The abilities and powres you use are awesome compared to what the NPC's use. Can't compare how they look to a high fantasy game.

Broken quests and lots of downtime is my only complaint, but the quests are fun and you can tell this is a game built around consuming content. As long as the content keeps coming, the game will last.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Honestly regarding the silent characters, it just reinforces something I've felt all along. The cutscenes feel they're from like Half Life 2. From the look of the characters to the silent player (Doesnt hurt mine looks like a blond gordon freeman).

I'm having fun in the the game myself, and I'm willing to overlook its flaws. It reminds me of some hokey love thing. TSW is the love despite their flaws. I'm waiting for the MMO that I can love including its flaws =P. TSW in the meantime though.